Publishing

Do you have to do the editing or is it a part of the publishing package?

Comments

• Skoob_ymSkoob_ym ✭✭✭

Well, that depends... If you buy a package that includes editing, then someone will help with that... Otherwise, you can do-it-yourself, which is a big advantage to this site.

• Skoob_Ym wrote:

Well, that depends... If you buy a package that includes editing, then someone will help with that... Otherwise, you can do-it-yourself, which is a big advantage to this site.

That's less of an advantage than most people think. The main problem is, of course, the near impossibility of an author being able to effectively edit their own work. That is usually a huge mistake.

• Skoob_ymSkoob_ym ✭✭✭

Ron Miller wrote:

Skoob_Ym wrote:

That's less of an advantage than most people think. The main problem is, of course, the near impossibility of an author being able to effectively edit their own work. That is usually a huge mistake.

The wise writer will not rely upon his own editing. He will enlist as many readers as possible in the editing stage, encouraging them to nitpick and to point out even the most forgiveable of typos and odd sentences.

Granted, a professional editor would be better; a flat iron who will press evenly; a rake who will pull out every flaw; a sieve through which no error shall pass.

But in my current novel, so far, three Beta readers have pointed out no less than twenty flaws, including errors of fact, style, and typography. I hope to hear back from a fourth within the week, and a second report from the most OCD of my beta readers.

I also use a technique that I call "The sock drawer," in which I put away the story for several weeks so that I lose my perspective on it, and am able to read it (somewhat) as a stranger would read it. I am still somewhat hampered by knowing the story, but it does give me enough distance to catch many things I would otherwise have glossed over.