why does everyone thinks i am a foreigner?

I am sick and tired of people thinks I am a foreginer. I am born and rasie in the United States of  America.

I know only english, and english is my primary language and that it, just becaise I have a arab name does not make me a forgeiners. The makes me really upset

and also I am Syrian Desecent. Repeat I am a America and I was NOT born in Syria

 

Thank you so much for your understanding

 

Comments


  • AbdTumeh wrote:

    I am sick and tired of people thinks I am a foreginer. I am born and rasie in the United States of  America.

    I know only english, and english is my primary language and that it, just becaise I have a arab name does not make me a forgeiners. The makes me really upset

    and also I am Syrian Desecent. Repeat I am a America and I was NOT born in Syria

     

    Thank you so much for your understanding

     


    Respectfully, AbdTumeh, your English composition skill level is similar to that which one would see from a person who had come here from somewhere else.

     

    To have an Arab name and to be of Syrian descent are both things of which you may be justifiably proud. But your English skills need work. This is nothing to be ashamed of. Many people who are born and raised in America have poor English skills. Hopefully, it can be a stepping stone to higher achievement.

     

    Continue writing. One never improves at a skill without practice.

  • thank you so much being repectful, I am still planning on writing because it is my passion. though I going to have to read it out loud will help out the writing skill because I don't have a clue what to do lilke thank you so much and you tyhe nicest person at this forum so far Smiley Happy

  • Ron MillerRon Miller Professor

    AbdTumeh wrote:

    I am sick and tired of people thinks I am a foreginer. I am born and rasie in the United States of  America.

    I know only english, and english is my primary language and that it, just becaise I have a arab name does not make me a forgeiners. The makes me really upset

    and also I am Syrian Desecent. Repeat I am a America and I was NOT born in Syria

     

    Thank you so much for your understanding

     


    Skoob is absolutely correct. I haven't the slightest doubt but that you were born and raised in the United States. The problem is that your command of English is not very good...but neither is that of many other Americans.

     

    That being said...your name combined with the many mistakes you make in writing could very easily lead people into thinking that you are not a native English-speaker. While you have a very valid point about the assumptions people make, you have to take some responsibility for this, too. In short: if you want people to understand that you are a native English-speaker, then you need to write English correctly. Here are some of the mistakes you made in your post....

     

    I am sick and tired of people thinks thinking I am a foreginerforeigner. I am wasborn and rasie raisedin the United States of  America.

    I know only englishEnglish, and englishEnglish is my primary language and that it, just becaisebecause I have a an arab Arab name does not make me a forgeinersforeigner. The makes me really upset.

    and also I am ofSyrian Desecentdescent. Repeat, I am aan America American and I was NOT born in Syria

     

    Thank you so much for your understanding

    __________________________________________
    Black Cat Studios http://www.black-cat-studios.com/
  • Thank you.

     

    Grammar and spelling are skills, like soccer or riding a bicycle. They improve with practice.

  • potetjppotetjp Professor

    AbdTumeh a écrit :

    I am sick and tired of people thinks I am a foreginer. I am born and rasie in the United States of  America.

    I know only english, and english is my primary language and that it, just becaise I have a arab name does not make me a forgeiners. The makes me really upset

     


    As a French linguist, I assure you your faulty English is extremely different from the faulty English of a native speaker. If you hadn't claimed you were born and raised in the US, I'd have placed you outside the English-speaking sphere.

  • Em_PressEm_Press Professor

    Abd,

     

    Start reading English novels aloud. Many of them. You will absorb the structure of the English language.

     

    Good luck.

     A citizen of the world.


  • Maggie wrote:

    Abd,

     

    Start reading English novels aloud. Many of them. You will absorb the structure of the English language.

     

    Good luck.


    This is a very good idea.

     

    The foundation of good writing is good reading. Good call, Maggie.

  • I suffer from many affliction's including a lack of English Composition skills which kept me from graduating with my high school class of 93'. I didn't graduate until 2002. Now I have several books out. I get a lot of complaints about this too, and because of that being stated as a fact too I've never stopped trying.

     

    Just listening to some well respected people can also be hazardous to your creative moral. Even the best of compositions in some cases are frowned upon by certain individuals who form political parties in these type's of forums. (As well as others.)

     

    Usually, when something is written completely through with a relatively positive level of phonetic ability which was taught to me in elementary when I went to school. It just grates at the ego of those who are blindly followed by and by those who are respected by those in which close knit friendships or sects band together and conform to the comfort of the well persevered author's.

     

    Even for those who they seem to like personally and function with little regard for a good fiction novel outside their realm. In fact, many English teachers and students have been coached in many different ways. Most of them don't even have a novel to speak of But, "This seems unimportant." It seems to me that these types of stereotypes dwell within these forums and within that of the writing culture at large.

  • oncewasoncewas Librarian

    Bolter,

     

    I seem to recall that at one point you asked why your books weren't selling and the general consensus was that it could be because your writing skills were poor.

     

    This has nothing to do with bullying, witch hunts, cliques, politics or some people thinking they are better than others. It is a simple matter of fact. Take this sentence, for example:

     

    Usually, when something is written completely through with a relatively positive level of phonetic ability which was taught to me in elementary when I went to school.

     

    There is something missing from this sentence; it has not conveyed a full idea, thought or action. As I pointed out before you are in the habit of truncating your sentences prematurely. Sadly, few people would be prepared to pay for that pleasure.

     

    I personally enjoy reading stuff which has been written by a non native speaker of the English language because often there is a delicious playfulness about the piece of writing (probably unintended) or a startling turn of phrase (again probably unintended). When this occurs it reminds the reader what an amazing language English is. Reading a piece of writing such as this can be very refreshing and delightful and I, for one, would not dismiss out of hand writing which is grammatically incorrect.

     

    However, you are not a non native speaker of the English language and your writing does not have any of the playful aspect which I mentioned. There may well be some readers who would enjoy your style of writing but unfortunately they are not likely to be very many. If you want to sell you have to write what people want to read.

     

    Once people have moved past the flashy cover and the snazzy blurb the proof of the pudding is always in the eating. If the prose is riddled with errors or is just dull or unexciting people will not come back for more. Sadly, the reader of the book has no way of knowing what issues the writer may have; they only want entertainment and/or knowledge and value for money.

     

    I think it is wonderful that you wish to write and that writing offers you enjoyment. You can keep writing in the way you do and please only yourself and perhaps a handful of others. Or, you can try to rectify what is wrong with your sentence structure and perhaps reach out to many more. However, there is no guarantee of success for anyone. Even the most polished novel might go unloved and unread.

     

    Have you tried your hand at poetry? It might offer you more freedom of expression.

  • Thats' cool. When I write the ideas seem to flow in a obscure way. It's just my style. I dont' stop to check whether or not my sentence structure is as you say it should be. What comes out it raw, uncensored, and ends up being a flowing sentence structure regardless of whether my phonetics are revlavent or not. You either get it or you don't but comparing my work to person of a second language is to me at least ludicrous! It'sthe substance that counts.

     

    As and amateur my books are completely write, designed, formatted, edited, published and submitting it to the editor. My work is a peace of art completely designed by myself writhing and saying what i want to say the first time around. I don't know of very many people know how to do that. But, even at that, someone will begin to bagging on others work without any examples of their premier novel.

     

    I seriously double that they did the writing, the cover to convert formatting spell checking with any general PDF formatted document, Word, e-pub, kindle and many other devices, TXT and any other formats, and all the way that one can think of. I'll of this is not easily accomplished by someone with no education on the subject to do it all on their own. You should try it sometime. 


  • Bolter1224 wrote:

    Thats' cool. When I write the ideas seem to flow in a obscure way. It's just my style. I dont' stop to check whether or not my sentence structure is as you say it should be. What comes out it raw, uncensored, and ends up being a flowing sentence structure regardless of whether my phonetics are revlavent or not. You either get it or you don't but comparing my work to person of a second language is to me at least ludicrous! It'sthe substance that counts.

     

    As and amateur my books are completely write, designed, formatted, edited, published and submitting it to the editor. My work is a peace of art completely designed by myself writhing and saying what i want to say the first time around. I don't know of very many people know how to do that. But, even at that, someone will begin to bagging on others work without any examples of their premier novel.

     

    I seriously double that they did the writing, the cover to convert formatting spell checking with any general PDF formatted document, Word, e-pub, kindle and many other devices, TXT and any other formats, and all the way that one can think of. I'll of this is not easily accomplished by someone with no education on the subject to do it all on their own. You should try it sometime. 


    If I may... The best friend of any writer is a brutal editor.

     

    I like to have someone tear apart what I have written, because it makes me better. I sometimes think that a certain sentence style is great, and I need someone to tell me that it's pretentious, boring, and confusing.

     

    Your writing may well be an art... But in my opinion, your writing would be improved by good editing. Just my opinion, and intended respectfully, one writer to another.

  • This post ended up on wrong thread. I'm placing on the right one. 

     

     


  • smbysh1 wrote:

    I still have to work at it and work at it hard. There is much to be learned from the critics, harsh criticism or not.

    I am personally glad no one ever candy coated their critiques. You know why? Because they were teaching me things I did not know about writing. I am grateful for that!  There will always be critics even after all that work, editing and dedication. I will always take the critics with a grain of salt and hunker down and work hard.

     

     


    Bingo.

     

     

  • my book was edited by Annie Cosby author of , "Learning to Swim" along with others. you can find here abilities on Amazon.com so my books have been professionally edited. Just dont buy the unabridged versions. Heres a URL to the books that have been professionally edited. Look at page two....It's all there in big bold print.  

     

    http://talesfromjoshuatree.com/

  • Your site looks impeccable Bolter. 

  • Excellent reply!

Sign In or Register to comment.