Has anyone used Lulu's marketing services?

I was interested in buying the marketing services (the press release essential edition for $499) and I was just wondering what experiences other authors had. Also, does anyone know how they do payments? Do I pay upfront, or in weekly/monthly payments (and if it's the latter of the two, how much does is cost up front)?

Comments

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

I can't say I have ever seen anyone who has used them post about them in the forums. Perhaps they don't know the forums exist?

Lulu do not provide the service though, some controversial 3rd party company does.

A Google search should be done when considering options.

• Em_PressEm_Press Professor

I've heard great things about them.

If your impulse is to buy their service, do it. Trust your gut. It's way better than spending the next five years thinking about it..

A citizen of the world.

• What have you heard about them? I know they are high priced, but at the same time, I imagine that is because they deliver great results. I think I am going to call and get some information on them. I can only do so much marketing on my own, especially being where I am from, and to just out right hire someone to do marketing for me is MUCH more expensive than using Lulu. Where I'd normally be paying $1,200 to get some Marketing done, Lulu supposedly has a package that only charges about $500. While some other self publishing services offered the same things for $200 or even $150, I've heard terrible things about them. If I'm going to get results, a higher investment seems to be the best route for me. I just want to make sure that I am going to get results if I do go out and buy their services. 

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

It does have to be balanced out with how many books you think you will sell because the more you spend, the more books you will have to sell in order to even break even.

Now, I have no idea how good your book is, but the bottom line is always, is it good enough to place under the eyes of people who then judge it? Reviewer for magazines for example. If it is not then no amount of advertising will help it.

• I haven't gotten my book out there to many just yet, but I've had a select group (maybe 20 people) look over it so far and they are all big fans. Some pointed out errors or flaws, and I've fixed those errors and flaws to the best of my ability. There has only been one person who didn't like it, and had negative comments. But, I know that there will always be people who find flaws. Based off of the feedback I've gotten, and maybe because of bias as well, I think my book is pretty good. 

I think I am going to use these services. Thank you so much for the information.