Question about Title

Hi All,

I am confused about "the title must be the first line in your book"

Does that mean you should just write "My Title Here" as the first line in the document, basically, and then go on from there with the actual book?

I think maybe I'm not understanding the rule correctly, because that seems unexpected because that seems like it would be very boring.

Any thoughts appreciated.

thanks.

Comments

• I believe it should "Title should be the first page" not first line. Your title page is first then copyright page.

• oncewasoncewas Librarian

This refers to formatting your book, not writing it. Write you book just as you wish.

However, to format your book  the title of your book must be on the very

first line of your Word document as this example for an epub shows

Billy Bigelowe's Big Adventure

Copyright 2015 Billy Bigelowe

ISBN:

First Edition

Chapter One

I had recently been fired from my job for being too unenthusiastic. It was then that I decided to have a big adventure...

• From the "eBook creator guide" by Lulu

(sorry, my bad, I should have posted this with the original question, I know)

============================

Title Page:

The very first thing you want your reader to see is your title – not blank spaces before your title. Therefore, your title must be on the very first line of the manuscript and be formatted as Heading 1 style. This allows the Lulu EPUB converter to correctly identify and display your book’s title in the eBook TOC. If you aren’t a big fan of the way the Heading 1 style looks, you can modify the style or create a new one.

If your title is not on the first line (i.e. hard returns precede it), the name you entered in the manuscript’s properties file will display in the TOC. If the properties filename is blank, the converter will display the title as “untitled” in the TOC. Both of these situations will result in your eBook being rejected for distribution.

=============================

So, from what the posters have said, this sounds like the traditional "title page" would cover this requirement - just have a separate page for "title page" and that will put the Title as the "very first line of the manuscript & formatted as Heading 1 style".

Then, just to be safe, I guess also make sure the Title is the first line in your marketing cover image, too.

And that makes sense to me, because I would reasonably want the Title to be first and big on the cover, of course.

Thanks, all, much appreciated!

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

Karbyn_Eilde wrote:

From the "eBook creator guide" by Lulu

(sorry, my bad, I should have posted this with the original question, I know)

============================

Title Page:

The very first thing you want your reader to see is your title – not blank spaces before your title. Therefore, your title must be on the very first line of the manuscript and be formatted as Heading 1 style. This allows the Lulu EPUB converter to correctly identify and display your book’s title in the eBook TOC. If you aren’t a big fan of the way the Heading 1 style looks, you can modify the style or create a new one.

If your title is not on the first line (i.e. hard returns precede it), the name you entered in the manuscript’s properties file will display in the TOC. If the properties filename is blank, the converter will display the title as “untitled” in the TOC. Both of these situations will result in your eBook being rejected for distribution.

=============================

So, from what the posters have said, this sounds like the traditional "title page" would cover this requirement - just have a separate page for "title page" and that will put the Title as the "very first line of the manuscript & formatted as Heading 1 style".

Then, just to be safe, I guess also make sure the Title is the first line in your marketing cover image, too.

And that makes sense to me, because I would reasonably want the Title to be first and big on the cover, of course.

Thanks, all, much appreciated!

EPubs do not as such, have pages, so there's no need for New Sections and other Page Break types. But a TOC is insisted on even if it only includes a Title and a Copyright as two TOC entries. So in effect the title is the first line, and that is tagged with Heading Style 1 to place it as the first item in the TOC (even though the TOC will be the 3rd 'page', usually) Next will be Copyright tagged with Heading Style 1, but the actual Copyright blurb in Bodytext. And so on if you wish to tag chapter headings with Heading Style 1 also.

But in practice, the title are the first words, even if you type it much much later.  Smiley Happy

The cover, or as Lulu calls it, the Marketing Image, has nothing to do with your manuscript file. It's not part of the manuscript file or that part of the Project Wizard because there's also a Cover Wizard within it and you deal with the cover there (even though it's not a cover a such) as you would any book cover. You will not see it in the Epub file Preview until later. I think Lulu's boffins add to the ePub file as the first 'page', you do not need to.

• Thanks for the comprehensive answer, much appreciated!

• this is what i'm looking for , i have the same question too, thanks for great answers..