We're aware of an issue with converting some DOC, DOCX, ODT, and RTF files to EPUB through our Ebook Wizard.
We've created this Forum Thread with some workarounds and advice to assist you in publishing you ebook.

Free?

There's a big banner here >>  http://www.lulu.com/home that says 'free'. Don't people have to buy at least one copy?

Comments

• If you don't go into distribution, you don't need to buy a proof.
  • Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

Yes, I know that, I do publish here you know   Smiley Happy  but then what is the point of creating a book if not to own at least one copy? For that you have to buy one. Seemed obvious to me. They are not free.

E-books are free, but it does not say e-books.

• Em_PressEm_Press Professor

It doesn't specify what is free; there is a lot you can do for free here.

A citizen of the world.

But it should. Oh well no matter. 

• It's free to publish.

The ISBNs are free.

There is no charge to get your book into distribution.

It's free to create and download an eBook.

Since I've never had enquiries from authors on Facebook, Twitter, or the Forums about why someone has to pay for their printed books, I think what is being advertised as free is understood by a vast majority of people using Lulu.com

And now, I'm back to vacation.

Greetings from Cadaques, Spain! 

It's free to publish.

In theory, but not if they wish to buy a book, and why would they be creating one even just for personal use if they don't intend to buy at least one? That's not free. That banner does not actually say Publish, just "Make Your Book a Reality, all Formats always free." It's not true.

The ISBNs are free.

* Granted, but still linked to the buying and Approving of a Proof (printed projects) or Distribution does not happen.

There is no charge to get your book into distribution.

Not directly but the above * applies.

It's free to create and download an eBook.

That is indeed true, but that big banner does not go to the ebook area. It actually even has a book on it. It goes to create printed book which scrolled down has a price per book on it.

Since I've never had enquiries from authors on Facebook, Twitter, or the Forums about why someone has to pay for their printed books, I think what is being advertised as free is understood by a vast majority of people using Lulu.com

What about those who don't use it? Those who click that 'It's free' banner and then find out it's not? So then leave the site? BTW, some people did used to moan in the forum about having to buy Proofs.

I recall a famous incident decades ago when a market research company was asked by a phone service provider to find out what people thought about having a phone in their house. They only rang people to ask. Think about how wrong that was ...    Smiley Happy

Nope, sorry, that banner is deceptive.

And now, I'm back to vacation.

Welcome back.

You don't live in the USA?!

• And now, I'm back to vacation.

Welcome back.

Considering you parse every sentence, I thought you would have caught the "back to vacation" and not confused it with "back from vacation." Smiley Happy

You don't live in the USA?!

I do indeed. I was vacationing in Cadaques, but I am now back to work in the USA.