Reviews. . . .

Hello!

I am just curious, how many of you submit to reviewers for review. . . .

I am currently in the process of finishing a shortish story (17k words) and am considering sending it out for review but not really sure how to begin or whether it is actually worth it?

What are your thoughts?

Erika Jayne.

Comments

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

Do you mean people who review for the media? Newspapers and such like? I can honestly say that it will be very rare that any reply. Last year  I contacted a well-known writer who also writes book reviews for magazines, and he did reply, 8 months later, to say he only reviews what the magazines suggest. I asked him if he could refer me to the editors then, please, and so far he's not replied yes or no.

You will see reviews published but it is far from easy to contact the reviewer.

One problem is that some publications dislike self-published books and the reviews often run at the same time some publishing house is promoting a book. Often that publisher will also be running an paid for advert in that newspaper or whatever.

One further problem is that many people have learned not to trust reviewers when it was discovered on Amazon that some did glowing ones, for payment. Some had not even read the books.

Me cynical? As if ...

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

I have just looked at one of your books and I would suggest you use a smaller font, less of a space between lines, full Justification, smaller margins, etc., The problem with doing that though would be reducing the page count in a book that only has 33 pages to start with. But it would possibly make the book look a tad more professional.

It's not only the story that reviewers judge.