New Author Need Help with making Contents

I'm having a hard time making a table of contents via styles, etc. Any advice? I've read Lulu's site and can find nothing helpful beyond 'use styles' -.-

Highly appreciated, thankyou Smiley Happy

Comments

• Lulu is a Self-Publishing site and it expects people to at least know how to use the tools you require in order to create something for use in the Lulu Wizards, although there is a large amount of Help about it on Lulu, even a Guide with pictures.

http://connect.lulu.com/t5/eBook-Formatting-Publishing/EPUB-Conversion-Prepare-Your-Manuscript-for-eBook-Conversion/ta-p/206671

A Style is a Word option and you have to tag whatever word (Chapter headings for example) you want in the TOC with Heading Style 1.

• Ebooks don't have Toc's. You need to tag the Title, and each chapter heading with Heading 1 as Kevin mentioned. When you send the document into the wizard it will create a toc using the heading 1 settings.

• They do have TOCs, but one does not use Word's own TOC tool to create them, as one would if creating a Word file for use at Amazon's Kindle DRP.

• "and it expects people to at least know how to use the tools you require in order to create something for use in the Lulu Wizards, although there is a large amount of Help about it on Lulu, even a Guide with pictures"

You may as well have not bothered replying.

• I literally did that (adding styles) and it is not working. That's the issue.

• To be honest I never add the toc, just upload my book and the wizard creates it. Even books where I forgot to remove the toc as in my paperback doc's the wizard removed it and added a new using the heading 1's that I added. I never used a style. I downloaded a template from here and just used that. When you can't find something here youtube is a great source of info. Lot of people do videos teaching how to created ebooks and how to make the toc's for them. Try there maybe a video will explain it  better for you. What I have done is just use the mouse to highlight the title and each chapter title. A menu appears at the top of word and you can use that to select heading one. Word will make whatever you selected heading one. The font size or formatting may change so you might have to redo it a little.

• Youtube,, good idea, thanks.

I have marked every chapter with Heading 1 style but it still does not work. I'm not a moron, and understand the basic concept of styles.

Yet I get this when trying to make an ebook:

rew3.png

• That is strange. At least the chapter headings set as heading 1 should show up as well as the title. Maggie and the forum moderator should be on tomorrow first thing and give a better answer. Hope you get it figured out.

• To be honest I never add the toc, just upload my book and the wizard creates it.

Indeed. When creating a docx for a Lulu Wizard you do not create a TOC. That's what I said.

Even books where I forgot to remove the toc as in my paperback doc's the wizard removed it

I am not sure about that. I know that the Wizard strips away some defaults it cannot use, but existing TOCs?

and added a new using the heading 1's that I added. I never used a style.

Heading 1 is a Style ...

I downloaded a template from here and just used that. When you can't find something here youtube is a great source of info. Lot of people do videos teaching how to created ebooks and how to make the toc's for them.

That depends on what method of conversion they are creatiing for. As I also said, a docx file for use in Lulu's ePub Wizard is not the same as one for Amazon's Wizard. Some show how to created an ePub from scratch, wich is complex and not required for Lulu's Wizards.

Try there maybe a video will explain it  better for you. What I have done is just use the mouse to highlight the title and each chapter title. A menu appears at the top of word and you can use that to select heading one.

What version of Word are you using? Word has toolbars called Ribbons on the Home tab, which is the default tab, and the Styles are always displayed in that Ribbon. All that's needed to do is, as you say, highlight what you want Lulu's Wizard to put in the TOC and just click Heading Style 1. 

Word will make whatever you selected heading one. The font size or formatting may change so you might have to redo it a little.

You can set any default you wish to in the Styles.

• I have marked every chapter with Heading 1 style but it still does not work. I'm not a moron, and understand the basic concept of styles.

That is indeed strange, and no offence is intended. We have no idea what a person knows or not, unless they say so.

Unless the Wizard has changed try adding a Page Break before your chapter headings. I think the Wizard used to strip them out because Heading Style 1 had the same result.

Perhaps this may help >>    http://connect.lulu.com/t5/eBook-Formatting-Publishing/EPUB-Conversion-Configure-Microsoft-Word-Settings/ta-p/206655

• Aulwynd wrote:

"and it expects people to at least know how to use the tools you require in order to create something for use in the Lulu Wizards, although there is a large amount of Help about it on Lulu, even a Guide with pictures"

You may as well have not bothered replying.

And yet I do, regardless of rudeness. In the above Quote you missed this out >>

http://connect.lulu.com/t5/eBook-Formatting-Publishing/EPUB-Conversion-Prepare-Your-Manuscript-for-e...

A Style is a Word option and you have to tag whatever word (Chapter headings for example) you want in the TOC with Heading Style 1.

• For starters do NOT use Heading 1 style for your chapters, that is strictly for the Book Title only. Heading 2 style is for Chapter titles, and that's really all you have to do. It will then make the TOC from that ;-)

• alikiwi wrote:

For starters do NOT use Heading 1 style for your chapters, that is strictly for the Book Title only. Heading 2 style is for Chapter titles, and that's really all you have to do. It will then make the TOC from that ;-)

And there's your problem right there, because you are wrong.

HS 2 to 3 are for sub and sub-sub headings you want to be include in the TOC.. Used in the order of HS1; HS2; HS3, then back to HS1. If not used like that they create problems. If all you want are main page headings in a TOC then only use HS1.

But was it not you asking how to do it? Now you are trying to tell us how to? Strange.

• In what program did you originally create the file?

• Thank you very much, I think this has cleared the issue up! I simply needed to mark chapter headings with Heading 2 Style, it's working now.

• Hello, it was nice to meet you guys, I am a newbie