And more in Shameless

A recent post there invites you to google for him across the internet. Is it hard to place a link in a Shameless posting? Should it be made easier? (At one time when you clicked on a Lulu user's name (to the left) it opened their Spotlight, and that was very handy.)

Because the posting had no mention of Lulu I searched Lulu for his name to see if he actually used Lulu, and lo and behold  >>    http://www.lulu.com/shop/henry-s-kivett/the-dead-rising-all-around-us/paperback/product-22208024.html

But $6.06p for 50 pages? Come on ...

Comments

• Ron MillerRon Miller Professor

If an author doesn't include a direct link in Shameless Promotions I will not search out their book. Period.

Kevin

The only person who can decide if a book is too expensive is the person who wishes to purchase it.

I have some very short books for sale on Kindle at $ 2.99. The reason I chose that price is because I can enrol them in the KDP Select program and get paid when people borrow the books. I make it very clear that it is a very short read which I am offering and not only do people borrow them but they buy them too. If I were to take your advice I would be missing out on sales!

Oddly enough I have noticed that books priced at $ 2.99 seem to do better than those priced at $ 0.99 It really is time to relinquish the notion that x number of pages should be priced at x amount. As long as the seller is not an out and out charlatan offering a 2 page spam filled book it is up to the seller to choose his own price and the buyer to decide whether to part with his cash, or not, as the case may be.

• There was actually a link in the preview. I did neglect to include one past the "Read more" prompt. (It's actually a litle confusing- "Read more..." suggests to me that what's already been read will carry over into the "more." Next time I'll be more careful, so no one else will feel invited to Google me. (Unless they want to! Enjoy my FB pics, folks!)

And $6 is a lot for a crappy meal that you'll poop out in an hour. It's not so bad for thought-provoking, heartfelt prose. I've certainly seen far more skewed examples of price-to-value.

-H

ps. It's nice that we indy authors have these forums to connect and support each other! Thanks for taking the time!

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

The only person who can decide if a book is too expensive is the person who wishes to purchase it.

I have some very short books for sale on Kindle at $ 2.99. The reason I chose that price is because I can enrol them in the KDP Select program and get paid when people borrow the books. I make it very clear that it is a very short read which I am offering and not only do people borrow them but they buy them too. If I were to take your advice I would be missing out on sales!

Oddly enough I have noticed that books priced at $ 2.99 seem to do better than those priced at $ 0.99 It really is time to relinquish the notion that x number of pages should be priced at x amount. As long as the seller is not an out and out charlatan offering a 2 page spam filled book it is up to the seller to choose his own price and the buyer to decide whether to part with his cash, or not, as the case may be.

If you look along the shelves of any large decent bookshop you will notice that like for like books fall in to the same price bracket worked out by accountants and marketing experts. It's a fact.

If, say, a new 300 page novel is put out by Clive Cussler at $7, and on the same day a 300 page one by David Gibbins costing $17, the average book buyer would think "Huh?!!" and want a good reason why. wouldn't you?

You will have to excuse this very long link, but look at the prices on this Top 100 kindlebooks list     http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_6_16?url=search-alias%3Ddigital-text&field-keywords=kindle+books+top+100+bestsellers+fiction&rh=n%3A341677031%2Ck%3Akindle+books+top+100+bestsellers+fiction

There was actually a link in the preview. I did neglect to include one past the "Read more" prompt. (It's actually a litle confusing- "Read more..." suggests to me that what's already been read will carry over into the "more." Next time I'll be more careful, so no one else will feel invited to Google me. (Unless they want to! Enjoy my FB pics, folks!)

I agree that the Shameless tool is counter-intuitive, it should be made easier to use. I have often wondered why it's a blog tool, when it's not a blog. Before Shameless was created there was a forum section people could tell us about their book in. However, people could also post comments and advice in the thread, and some did not like that even if warranted. Some welcomed any observations, but nonetheless, Shameless was created.

And $6 is a lot for a crappy meal that you'll poop out in an hour.

That's a tad snobbish, there's some decent meals you can get for that price, but it all comes out in the end, there's also some very good reading in books by famous writers for $6 or even free.   https://www.gutenberg.org/

It's not so bad for thought-provoking, heartfelt prose. I've certainly seen far more skewed examples of price-to-value.

You are right there, some self-publishers here believe a book is priceless simply because they wrote it. Some even say that against all sensible advice. Smiley Happy  As if Self-publishing isn't expensive enough to start with.

-H

ps. It's nice that we indy authors have these forums to connect and support each other! Thanks for taking the time!

Indeed it is. It's just a shame that far more Lulu users don't take advantage of it before they accost the public with their latest 'War & Peace'.  

• " I have some very short books for sale on Kindle at $ 2.99. The reason I chose that price is because I can enrol them in the KDP Select program and get paid when people borrow the books. I make it very clear that it is a very short read which I am offering and not only do people borrow them but they buy them too. If I were to take your advice I would be missing out on sales!"

Danielblue, how are you able to participate in the Kindle select program and also have your ebooks listed other places? I was told that if I wished to participate, then I would have to have my ebooks exclusive to Amazon for the three month run.

Geraldine_Allie wrote:

Danielblue, how are you able to participate in the Kindle select program and also have your ebooks listed other places? I was told that if I wished to participate, then I would have to have my ebooks exclusive to Amazon for the three month run.

I think you are correct there Geraldine. One of the rules of Amazon's Lending Library service is that while registered in it the same book cannot be on sale in any format anywhere other than on Amazon. And I think only the print version can be on sale on Amazon at the same time, not the Kindle version.

• Kevinlomas, just checked.

"While enrolled in the Kindle select program, your digital format is to be exclusive to Amazon for a period of three months and is not to be made available on any other site during that time other than Amazon, and only pertains to the Kindle and ebook format."

I know when I was enrolled in the program, I had to take my ebooks down everywhere they were available that wasn't Amazon. .... de-list them until the three month period was up.

Indeed. I had a book in it once also.  Smiley Happy