We're aware of an issue with converting some DOC, DOCX, ODT, and RTF files to EPUB through our Ebook Wizard.

At this time, we're investigating the problem and looking for a solution.

If you've encountered this issue while converting your file, we suggest attempting to create and upload an EPUB directly to our system.

While there are a number of EPUB conversion options, Calibre (Download Here) has shown the best results for creating an EPUB for the Lulu system. Please review their extensive Help resources (Found Here) to create an EPUB 2 that our system can validate.

We've also created this Forum Thread. Post questions here and we'll do our best to respond and assist.

Which author has influenced your writing?

Recently i have been reading
more and found my influence in writing. I had no idea before that I was influenced by others. The novelist who influenced me I read as a teenager. Are you influenced by other writers? Consciously or subconsciously?

Comments

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

Recently i have been reading more and found my influence in writing. I had no idea before that I was influenced by others. The novelist who influenced me I read as a teenager.

But who?

Are you influenced by other writers?

Not particularly, even though I have favorite writers, but I read many many types of SF and F by many many people.

Consciously or subconsciously?

If subconsciously, one would never know ...

But is it wise to be influenced by just one writer, as you say you are? Is it perhaps not best to have a mixture of many many styles until you end up with your own?

Myself and my friend combined know everything there is to know, but he's not here.

• Yeah that's my question too "who"? I'm not influenced by anyone but I do have favorite writers that I loved their style. In my very early teens I loved reading western books by Louis Lamore and Zane Grey. Today I'm a big fan of Eric Van Lustbader who wrote some of my favorite books, The Ninja, The Miko and others.

• I read a lot of Louis L'amour as a teen also. Especially the "Sackett" series.

I read a lot of Rex Stout's "Nero Wolfe" series, nearly everything by Dick Francis, a lot of C.S. Lewis. When I stumbled onto Solzhenitsyn, his writings were a big eye opener for me, though the USSR had crumbled by then.

I'd say that all of those were "influential" to me.

• I've not read C.S. Lewis yet but I do plan to read some of his stuff later. Hang in there Skoob we'll get that project done soon. I read the Sackett ones too. Those old westerns were great.

• potetjppotetjp Bibliophile

In English, Agatha Christie's Miss Marple novels and Hercule Poirot novels. P. G. Wodehouse's Jeeves-and-Wooster novels.  Must-reads, definitely.

or just watch them on TV  Smiley Happy

Myself and my friend combined know everything there is to know, but he's not here.

• kevinlomas wrote:

or just watch them on TV  Smiley Happy

Kevin, Kevin, Kevin.

You can not truly appreciate Wodehouse from a TV show alone. Sure, you get the plot, and Hugh Laurie (with Stephen Fry) did a great job bringing the characters to life, but honestly, there is so much material -- absolute put-the-book-down-and-laugh-until-you-cry material -- that you cannot appreciate until you read Wodehouse for yourself.

For example, I don't think that Fry and Laurie ever explained the proper method for pinching a Bobby's helmet as one drives past in an open motor-car: One must tilt the helmet forward or else the chinstrap will catch on his nose and you'll be caught.

• Of course, you cannot truly appreciate Wodehouse until you have read it in the original Klingon.

• potetjppotetjp Bibliophile

Skoob_Ym a écrit :
     absolute put-the-book-down-and-laugh-until-you-cry material -- that you cannot appreciate until you read Wodehouse for yourself.

Excellent!

TV will do for me, unless I am watching an adaptation of a book I have actually read, then I can say, the book is better.

Such old stuff as PG Wodehouse may have been OK when it was written, for those before TV was invented, but to many Brits who live in the UK it can seem a tad boring because it's just normal British life. Dontchaknow. I think I have seen one series and not read one of the books. Where's the spaceships and goblins?

• You missed the episode where Jeeves used the Sonic Screwdriver to sort out Blanding's Castle after the Dalek's took over the Duchess? And Bertie couldn't find his good bicycle because he had left it in the TARDIS?

• Yes for sure.

I have a plethora of favourie writers...Shakespeare takes the biscuit ...to me his writing is timeless and ever so eloquent.  My second favourite is Thomas Hardy his observation of mankind and mother nature is devine...and for sure...my list goes on James Joyce is high on my list in terms of modern writers I think Robert Ludlum is very articulate I can get lost in his descriptions...but wondered what others think...about other writers' styles, narrative techniques, etc.

• I have been planning to read all of Agatha Christie's books this year. I am glued to the Poirott series and hope to write my one thriller/detective type story (maybe a short one) this year.... Smiley Happy
    I think I will add your authors to my reading list...Smiley Happy
  • That's what I have been doing... Smiley Happy

Skoob_Ym wrote:

You missed the episode where Jeeves used the Sonic Screwdriver to sort out Blanding's Castle after the Dalek's took over the Duchess? And Bertie couldn't find his good bicycle because he had left it in the TARDIS?

I'm too busy trying the get the servants the behave.

• kevinlomas wrote:

Skoob_Ym wrote:

You missed the episode where Jeeves used the Sonic Screwdriver to sort out Blanding's Castle after the Dalek's took over the Duchess? And Bertie couldn't find his good bicycle because he had left it in the TARDIS?

I'm too busy trying the get the servants the behave.

Then have the butler read it to you.

She would say that's not her job.

• kevinlomas wrote:

She would say that's not her job.

Tell her that Jeeves would be mortified.

James Joyce is high on my list in terms of modern writers

He cannot really be classed as a modern writer.    2 February 1882 – 13 January 1941

• In todays multi-media world I doubt if any author is influenced solely by literature, certainly not myself. I've absorbed ideas, though most I can't remember where from, but the biggest influence I'm aware of is the cowboy movies of Sergio Leone. This would be difficult to explain in full, but one example is how he used the briefest of statements from his characters, or expressions on their face to move the story along, and create a particular mood. I try, when I write, to keep dialogue to that which is relevant, and sometimes give a description of someones face to illustrate their response to events, or the words of others.

• Pity we are all so busy writing huh?  I look forward to being on an Agatha Christie setting....reading...  Smiley Happy  

I apologise in advance, I am terrible with negotiating on this site so I am using the kudos button to acknowledge all those who responded.  I truly apologise for the late response to you all.

Have a lovely week.

If you look at the number of views each post gets, it's rather a lot, and it has always puzzled me why so few of those viewers bother to post. Perhaps once they see what a thread is about, it's not what they were looking for and moved on. But not many years ago you would have got far more replies.  Smiley Frustrated

• Sometimes I simply have nothing to say.

Ditto