Paperback vs. Kindle sales

I was noticing that people are buying more ebook versions of my book than paperback which gives me much less profit. Has anyone stopped or retired an ebook version to test if the paperback sales would increase? My sales were almost exactly the same again this month. The free give away didn't help much as far as I can see. I was thinking of removing Reflections from the kindle but leaving it on the others ebook outlets just to test it. It is more profit if it sells more. Any ideas?

Comments

• If it was me I wouldn't want to cut off my most successful sales route.

What about changing the price so that you make the same profit of an ebook as you do off a paperback?

• Richard that is a good idea. I just didn't think people would buy it at that price. I can try it and see. I just checked, I would have to  raise the price $2 to equal profit of the paperback. Even more for Amazon which gives less profit. I raised it $1 to see what happens. The other book that out sells my kung fu kindle I just raised $1 , we'll see if it keeps selling at that price. My profits have been the same each month for almost a year now. Can't seem to break the cycle.

• Yes, cutting the price of your paperback is really good idea but, what about the shipping fee?

• oncewasoncewas Librarian

I should imagine that if you asked enough people you would find that most of them sell more ebook than paperbacks; ebooks are cheaper, there's no waiting and no shipping involved.

I can't see that withdrawing the Reflections ebook will drive more sales to the paperback, if that was your rationale. You would lose the potential customers who only read ebooks on the largest sales channel available to you and it might not drive sales to the other stores selling your ebooks.

It really is sad that some people will happily pay $ 9.99 for a paperback but expect the same book for $0.99

Try looking at it another way: perhaps the reason you sell fewer paperbacks than ebooks is because you make more profit on paperbacks than ebooks.

Incidentally when I searched for your book I typed in Reflections Of A Christian Kung Fun by mistake and nothing came up. The search facility on Amazon is pretty hit and miss which makes it a real wonder that anyone ever buys our books given that there are probably over 5 million books out there. Five of the six words I entered exactly match words in your title yet it couldn't find the book!

• Amazon just raised the price of the paperback by one dollar and reduced the price of the ebook by fifty cents. Looks like they are driving people to the kindle which is not what I want. Danielblue if you search for Kung fu books, tai chi uniform, kung fu uniform, kung fu broadsword, and Christian martial arts my book will usually show within the first five pages. These are terms that many are searching for rather than one word searchs. Most people aren't using one word to search for something on Amazon. For instance if you type in kung fu, you'll get everything from books, movies, weapons, uniforms, etc. Phrases work much better. If you type in something you'll see suggestion drop down, these are current searches people have just looked for. That's what I started using for my search tags and it worked. Took me a long time and help from Deemonie to figure these out and how to do with support help from Amazon.com. Since I did that I have seen a consistant increase of sales of this book, not many but more than it was. Hopefully this next book will sell better as I've noticed that books on Taoist topics seem to do well.

• oncewasoncewas Librarian

Shadowmonkey

I think you have misunderstood me. I typed in the phrase Reflections Of A Christian Kung Fun and it couldn't find your book. This illustrates how poor the search facility is. It really is serendipity what does, and does not, get found!

• I see your point. Compared to google search engine Amazon's is very poor.

• If this is an eBook vs Print discussion, I really think any author who actually wants to sell books needs to have both available. There are some people who will only read print books, and there are some people who will only read eBooks.

As far as making less profit on eBooks than on print, I really don't get why that's so. I completely reject the notion that indie eBooks need to be dirt cheap. Readers don't expect to find a decent book for $0.99.

• I lowered the price of the paperback and then Amazon just raised it then they lowered my kindle. I just raised it again because I'm not selling it at $3. I really don't think they should expect to buy a book at less than half just because it's a kindle. Of course no shipping and printing but the author still worked hard for it.

• potetjppotetjp Professor

danielblue a écrit : 

Incidentally when I searched for your book I typed in Reflections Of A Christian Kung Fun by mistake and nothing came up. [...]  Five of the six words I entered exactly match words in your title yet it couldn't find the book!

I noticed the greater the number of words you enter, the more exacting the search engine becomes, so that if one of the words is wrong, the whole string becomes wrong. The ideal is to enter one or two keywords, then browse the result.

• Shadowmonkey wrote:

I lowered the price of the paperback and then Amazon just raised it then they lowered my kindle. I just raised it again because I'm not selling it at $3. I really don't think they should expect to buy a book at less than half just because it's a kindle. Of course no shipping and printing but the author still worked hard for it.

But if you're getting the same profit when they lower the Kindle price, why not just take advantage of the price cut?

• As far as the word search is concerned after much research I found that I could attach key words to the books that aren't necessarly book related. I found that people who are interested in martial arts are looking for kung fu books, kung fu uniforms, martial art weapons etc. So I use these and other terms to get the book found in non book related searches. I found that a lot of people are doing this as dvd's , clothing, jewelry and other things were found during book searchs. This way whether someone is looking for a book or not, they might be searching for a martial arts related item and run into my book. So it shows by using a "shotgun' approach instead of a "rifle" approach. Seems to be working so far.