ISBN

I hope this might be the last question for a time...

I am UK based and I like the idea of the free ISBN license from Lulu. However I am aware that this makes Lulu the publisher of my work. I am unable to find a link that shows me the terms of using a Lulu-sourced ISBN. I am wondering what rights I am waiving by using Lulu's as against bringing my own.

Comments

• You waive no rights.

Lulu will be listed as the publisher at retail sites, but in effect you are the publisher; they are only the printer.

Here is the Lulu ISBN Agreement:

http://connect.lulu.com/t5/ISBN-Distribution/Lulu-ISBN-Agreement/ta-p/32002

• Thanks!
  • hi im new and ill be interested
  • Well let's assume the existing postings told you what you wished to know then, regardless of your rude name. Smiley Surprised

• so, for example. if i agree to the isbn terms, what happens if a few months from now a famous publishing company wants to publish my book under their company. will that in some way affect the lulu terms? 

meaning, if someone was to sign me as a writer for their publishing comapny, will i be able to do that without any problems with lulu? 

• so, for example. if i agree to the isbn terms, what happens if a few months from now a famous publishing company wants to publish my book under their company. will that in some way affect the lulu terms? 

How? The Copyright is yours and nothing to do with ISBNs.

meaning, if someone was to sign me as a writer for their publishing comapny,

That's not how it works. Some where might look at your manuscript and offer you a publishing contract, they are not really signing you up to write for them, they usually want stuff that's already been written.

will i be able to do that without any problems with lulu?

Indeed. But any other publisher will no doubt insist you remove the same book from any other place, because you will not then be a self-publisher. All you would do is Withdraw the self-published book/s from distribution by Lulu.

But don't worry, it's hardly likely to happen.

• Hello

I'm new to Lulu and was highly recommended.  My question is this...does Lulu offer the barcode that I believe is supposed to go with the ISBN?  With Bowker it is recommended to have the barcode for pricing.  I want to go with the right process.  Please respond asap.  Need to get my book published now.  I have orders to produce.

Thank you very much.

• Hello

I'm new to Lulu and was highly recommended.  My question is this...does Lulu offer the barcode that I believe is supposed to go with the ISBN?  With Bowker it is recommended to have the barcode for pricing.  I want to go with the right process.  Please respond asap.  Need to get my book published now.  I have orders to produce.

Well I hope you have a manuscript formatted to the shapes and sizes that are available in Lulu's Project Wizards? Your pages set out to look like a book's?

When you use a Project Wizard it will give you the option to have a free ISBN and Distribution. When you see the ISBN number you add it to your Copyright page before you upload your docx or PDF or whatever to the Project Wizard's page section. Further on is the Cover Wizard and that will auto-add the actual ISBN barcode to the bottom of the rear cover.

ISBNs are little to do with pricing and it's recommended you do not include a price on the cover.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBmsWTwPBCk

http://connect.lulu.com/t5/Publish/tkbc-p/publish

• What happens if you are not a US citizen? Do I need the ISBN anyway? Can I get the free ISBN from Lulu? What  I understand is that through the ISBN Lulu owns the rights to my book in a way that if my book is sold thorugh barnes and nobles, for example, Lulu gets a porcentage of it and I get another porcentage. But if I sell the books that I order through my etsy, for example, I get all the royalties without having to pay a porcentage to Lulu. Am I correct? But does the ISBN mean that Lulu owns my book and can do as they please with it?

• What happens if you are not a US citizen?

ISBNs are not a US exclusive. They are a world-wide mark. It means > International Standard Book Number

Do I need the ISBN anyway?

Well, yes. If you want more or less world-wide distribution.

Can I get the free ISBN from Lulu?

You can get a free ISBN via Lulu, yes.

What  I understand is that through the ISBN Lulu owns the rights to my book

Not at all, who told you that? The ISBN may be registered to Lulu but the Copyright remains yours. People often mix the two up but they are nothing to do with each other, really.

in a way that if my book is sold thorugh barnes and nobles, for example, Lulu gets a porcentage of it and I get another porcentage.

Indeed Lulu does. They do not run this site as a charity, but that does not mean they own the rights to your book. But what you get as royalties is up to you. It's you that sets that mark-up, for £0 to £whatever. It's that which you will get. The main thing is that with POD the buyer pays for it to be made and shipped, it costs you nothing, unless that buyer is you.

But if I sell the books that I order through my etsy, for example, I get all the royalties without having to pay a porcentage to Lulu. Am I correct?

No not really. But if you wish to buy your own books why would you not buy them direct from your Lulu account at Cost? It makes no sense to buy your own books from other places.

But does the ISBN mean that Lulu owns my book and can do as they please with it?

Not at all no. You can even publish your books at other places at the same time if you want to. I honestly have no idea why people think that's what an ISBN means.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Standard_Book_Number

• yes and i cant wait to have my book published by lulu
  • Please supply me an ISBN ,I do agree with your condition as a publisher of my book on my behalf
    Thank you
    Subrata Ray
  • They are applied during the Publishing Wizard tool/s.

• Thank you for supplying the ISBN
  • Please afford an ISBN for publishing my new book with you
    Regards
    Subrata Ray
  • I WANT A FREE ISBN FROM LULU PUBLICATION
  • Are you the same person who keeps asking that over and over again? But now using another name?

Go and read this >>

http://connect.lulu.com/t5/ISBN-Distribution/Publishing-for-Distribution-Print-Books/ta-p/33617about:blank