Book Covers

As there have been a number of posts about book covers lately I thought I would throw in my 2 pence, for what it is worth.

You can get a cover designed for you at Fiverr for ...wait for it, just five dollars.

Or, if you are on a real budget you can purchase the right to use photographs, illustrations, etc from a stock photography website for as low as two dollars.

You would need to sell an awfully large number of books to recoup some of the costs I've seen mentioned.

If you have a wonderful product on your hands and you can afford to pay these prices then by all means, go for it.

But, if like many on here, your have no way of knowing if your book will sell try out the budget version before you sink yourself into debt.

Comments

• I notice that most most the fiverr cover designers ask that you provide the artwork. All they do is add the typography. If you want more than that, you will need to pay more.

In short, if you want a $5 book cover be prepared to get what you pay for.

Let me expand a little further. One of the overwhelming problems facing self-published authors is the lack of resources compared to those available to traditional publishers. This is perfectly understandable, but...if you are offering a product that is in competition with those that are professionally produced, you are obligated to produce something that is equally professional. To offer something for sale that is of less than than that with the excuse, "That is all I coud afford" is not acceptable.

One also has to read the smallprint on some sites offering free images because it often says Not For Commercial Use, and the use of them on or in a published book is exactly that.

There's some places that offer off-the-peg generic covers for not a lot of money along the lines of pick an image that's a 'ready designed cover' and they will add your text to it, but they are off-the-peg and all look more or less the same.

http://www.selfpubbookcovers.com/?gclid=CIrNza3tnMUCFYfHtAodiUEA4w

It's somewhat worrying they only seem to supply one size/ratio though, size not being much of a problem, but the ratio can be.

• wildwindwildwind Publisher

Ron,

I am very familiar with your views on this topic, as are most people.

It really irks me that there are more people making money out of advising people how to write and selling ancillary services than there are people who make money from writing.

If I walk into a shop and I think the stuff is tat I walk out; I don't start giving the shop keeper a lecture. If book buyers don't like the surprisingly good covers produced by Fiverr designers no doubt they will move on to the next book.

I was simply trying to put forward a realistic solution to an expensive problem.

So maybe it will cost you $ 15 if you purchase the right to use a stock photograph and give it to the designer to use. If you prepay, you can get the photographs for as little as $ 2 so we're talking $ 7 all in; at that price you can afford to giver the designer a tip so we're talking perhaps $ 12. That is still a lot cheaper than paying more than $ 100.

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

I am very familiar with your views on this topic, as are most people.

Indeed we are, and Ron is often right. Myself and Ron cover the subject often, not always seeing eye to eye though.

It really irks me that there are more people making money out of advising people how to write and selling ancillary services than there are people who make money from writing.

Why? No one forces people to spend money on such services, and Ron offers a lot of advice on the subject in the forums, for free (as do I). I have never yet seen Ron refuse advice and just say pay himself to do it. I also know he has at times done a cover or two for free.

If I walk into a shop and I think the stuff is tat I walk out; I don't start giving the shop keeper a lecture.

Well, no, it's a bit late by then, but this is a self-publishing site on which many people often ask for advice before they create anything. And indeed some do so as not to end up selling tat.

If book buyers don't like the surprisingly good covers produced by Fiverr designers no doubt they will move on to the next book.

Surely they will read the blurb and the Preview first? I have read some very good stories enclosed in covers I would have been ashamed to have designed, and vice versa. Good or bad is often in the eye of the viewer.

I was simply trying to put forward a realistic solution to an expensive problem.

Indeed, but I would assume that anyone doing a cover for just $5 is doing it as a loss-leader, and any further covers they create for a client will be at 'normal' rates.

To be honest it's not hard to create a generic cover from stock bits and pieces and adjusted photos, but for $5 I would not expect a lot of thought to have gone in to them. $5 would not even pay for the time for reading a full synopsis etc., to get an idea of the story, and that's the only way to know what the cover should be about.

So maybe it will cost you $ 15 if you purchase the right to use a stock photograph and give it to the designer to use. If you prepay, you can get the photographs for as little as $ 2 so we're talking $ 7 all in; at that price you can afford to giver the designer a tip so we're talking perhaps $ 12. That is still a lot cheaper than paying more than $ 100.

Why not just wander out with a digital camera and learn how to create covers?

http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/designing-book-covers/

• wildwindwildwind Publisher

Kevin,

This is all so ridiculous. You get people like Ron saying no one looks past a bad book cover and then you jump in and say "Surely they will read the blurb and the Preview first?" in response to my saying "if book buyers don't like the Fiverr designed covers they will move on"

It really must be awful being so contrary and contradictory that you twist your own arguments within a short passage of writing. I wish I could ask you to stop doing this but I have a feeling you are too far gone. I shall learn to ignore your responses to anything I post.

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

This is all so ridiculous. You get people like Ron saying no one looks past a bad book cover and then you jump in and say "Surely they will read the blurb and the Preview first?" in response to my saying "if book buyers don't like the Fiverr designed covers they will move on"

Yes? So? Who said I always agree with Ron? In fact I said I do not

"Myself and Ron cover the subject often, not always seeing eye to eye though."

and I explained why.

But your posting, that I replied to, said far far more than what you are on about in this one. That's what I previusly replied to, not just one point.

It really must be awful being so contrary and contradictory that you twist your own arguments within a short passage of writing.

My own? In what way? I did no such thing, learn to read. I gave my opinion as a designer of covers and a buyer of books.

I wish I could ask you to stop doing this but I have a feeling you are too far gone. I shall learn to ignore your responses to anything I post.

I think you already do or your replies (and not just to this) would not be so lacking in understanding as to what people actually say or ask. Read it all, not just bits that do not agree with you, people are allowed to have their own opinions.