A concern about the high prices of some vendors on Amazon

My paperbook book (Learn How to Solve Cryptic Crosswords) is available on Amazon through Lulu's globalREACH distribution service. When I go to the listing for my book on Amazon.com, there is a "More buying choices -used and new" link which leads to  a page where there are 14 more offers (at increasing prices) for my book from various vendors other than Amazon - such as The Book Depository Ltd, Wordery and UKpaperback shop.

I presume all these these online retailers who are offering the book new have signed up to Lulus globalReach distribution service, or are  or are a customer of  a Lulu distributor (eg Ingram).

A concern I have is that some of these vendors are offering the book at a vastly inflated retail price - in some cases 4 or 5 times the list price!  This makes no sense to me - why are they doing this, and why would anyone buy from them at this price?

Any clarification here would be much appreciated.

Comments

• They don't have your book. If a moron orders a copy at an inflated price instead of the regular one, they just buy it from Lulu or Amazon, and sell it to them at their own price. LOL

• My paperbook book (Learn How to Solve Cryptic Crosswords) is available on Amazon through Lulu's globalREACH distribution service. When I go to the listing for my book on Amazon.com, there is a "More buying choices -used and new" link which leads to  a page where there are 14 more offers (at increasing prices) for my book from various vendors other than Amazon - such as The Book Depository Ltd, Wordery and UKpaperback shop.

It happens to us all. Don't bother trying to contact any of those vendors asking how they manage to have POD books "In stock" that have not clocked up a sale here, because they never reply. The ones who mark the price up a crazy amount are a puzzle because as your link shows, all prices on Amazon can be compared.

I presume all these these online retailers who are offering the book new have signed up to Lulus globalReach distribution service,

They don't have to, it's you who do that then your book goes in to distribution which allows any retailer to find it and advertise it for sale.

or are  or are a customer of  a Lulu distributor (eg Ingram).

Sort of. All a retailer needs to do is use a book's ISBN to find out where it can be obtained from at 'trade' prices, which is possibly Ingrams or even direct from Lulu. They may not even know where to get one from until someone buys one, they only need the ISBN.

A concern I have is that some of these vendors are offering the book at a vastly inflated retail price - in some cases 4 or 5 times the list price!  This makes no sense to me - why are they doing this, and why would anyone buy from them at this price?

No one knows! And if you ask Amazon about any of this they say it's not their problem.

Any clarification here would be much appreciated.

There's nothing you can do about it apart from take it out of dist, but if any of those vendors sell your book they have to get it from somewhere and then you will get paid, one hopes!

• I did contact one once. How are you selling my I asked and where did you get it as I haven't been paid for it? They said they hadn't sold any and using the isbn they could buy it from Ingrams and resell. Most of them sell at ridiculous prices or cheaper than Amazon but charge higher shipping. Really, I don't see the point.

• Thanks Jean-Paul - I appreciate I need not be concerned, but I always feel more comfortable when I understand better what's going on

• Thanks Kevin - I know have a much clearer picture of what's going on here.

• Thanks for this - useful to hear about your experience here

• You are welcome Smiley Happy