Impressed with Print Book Service and Quality

So, my proof copy of my first book arrived in the post today. I'm very impressed with the delivery speed. I ordered it on Thursday evening and today is Tuesday, so it's been printed and delivered in less than three working days. Packaging protected the book sufficiently.

Quality-wise, I am also very pleased. I posted previously on here that, in the pdf preview, the margins seemed a teeny bit inconsistent. Well, it must have been my eyes playing tricks: there's nothing weird in the print copy. The paper quality is good, the colours on the cover have printed as I expected. There's a tiny bleed of the white spine (about 1mm) onto the front cover towards the bottom, but it's barely noticable. I guess that happens occasionally with the fold.

In summary, I'll definitely use Lulu's print book services again and would recommend to others. Thanks.Smiley Happy 

Comments

• potetjppotetjp Professor

A couple of years ago, I had my first hardbound copy examined by a neighbour who works in a printing firm for standard publishers. She said I couldn't expect any better. Bravo Lulu.

Another important point is that the printing remains black and clear.

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

I buy many books created by many publishers and in comparison to many of those, 'Lulu' books are of a higher quality.

• I too have been happy with proofs from lulu.com. Aside from one page that had some slight ink spots and the bleed on all of the spines , the books look great. Nothing like getting your first copy of your book in your hand. It's awesome. No complaints here.

• I have books bought from different publishers and I can say that lulu have better book quality than any other.

• Lulu’s quality is usually quite good, but be aware that print-on-demand orders can differ from one to the next. Here is how my last three orders containing 500 color photos compare:

Ordered 30 books, 3/17/15.
    1. Beautiful cover, beautiful interior photos. This is my gold standard for judging all other orders.

Ordered 20 books, 4/2/15.
    1. Unacceptable. Colors were washed out, especially in the blue areas. Notified Lulu; to their credit they replaced all books. There were other minor problems as well.
    2. A corner of one of the books was mangled.
    3. The side edges of the covers were not cut evenly to match the rest of the pages.
    4. The packaging was very poor. All 20 books were dumped loosely into a too-large box with no separator between them, then brown wrapping paper was stuffed loosely around the sides. This resulted in light scuff marks on all covers caused by shifting during travel.

Lulu ordered 20 replacement books, 4/16/15.
    1. Greatly improved. The interior photos were well done, but had a slight red shift to them, giving faces a reddish tint. Accepted it as is.
    2. The cover photo was a bit less vibrant than that of the gold standard, but was acceptable.
    3. The edges of the covers were cut even with the rest of the pages; this was good.
    4. The packaging was a vast improvement. Groups of ten were bubble-wrapped, shrink-wrapped, and stiffened with cardboard.
    5. One book’s cover was printed crookedly, needed a replacement.

This lack of consistency worries me. I’m afraid someone who orders a book in the future may get a less-than-optimum copy and not realize it, and will post a comment on social media saying the quality of the book is not good, misleading anyone else who might want to purchase a copy. I hope consistency is an ongoing concern for improvement.

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

This lack of consistency worries me. I’m afraid someone who orders a book in the future may get a less-than-optimum copy and not realize it, and will post a comment on social media saying the quality of the book is not good, misleading anyone else who might want to purchase a copy. I hope consistency is an ongoing concern for improvement.

You are so right, and unless one orders one's own books one would never know, only customers would see them, and that can be a worry.

I have often said QC seems to be a bit lacking. Some of the problems seem to be machines running out of ink and no one noticing! That should never be the case. It's as if the machines are not overseen by anyone, and that also should never be the case.

Trimming can also be a bit random and one has to have over-large margins to allow for that, just in case.

Goods should also never be damaged. Surely someone should notice if they are?

Ditto with shipping. Parcels should not be delivered with crunched corners.

The problem is that if these things were overseen by humans the books would cost even more, or someone would be making less profit if not increasing prices.

But surely modern automatic machines can be fitted with sensors to at least stop if running out of ink? Even my own machine does that!