TABLE OF CONTENTS

What is a copyright notice?

You, as the creator, are both the copyright holder and publisher of all works created and distributed using Lulu.com. When creating your work's copyright page, you should list yourself as the copyright holder and publisher. If you wish, you may list Lulu as the distributor. 

A sample Copyright Notice would look like this:

Copyright Year: 2020

Copyright Notice: by John Doe. All rights reserved.

The above information forms this copyright notice: © 2020 by John Doe. All rights reserved.

Why should I set a license on my work?

Licenses provide legal protection for the work produced by authors, artists, and other creators. Laws vary among countries and Lulu is not in a position to determine the specifics of the intellectual property regulations in your country. However, various international treaties and agreements regulate the treatment of intellectual property.

Here are links to a variety of sources that discuss intellectual property:

Lulu creators may choose from a variety of licensing options, including the following: 

How do I register my work with the U.S. Copyright Office?

Be sure that your work is eligible for its copyright to be registered with the U.S. Copyright office

• On the date of first publication, one or more of the authors is a national or domiciliary of the United States, or is a national, domiciliary, or sovereign authority of a treaty party or is a stateless person wherever that person may be domiciled.
  • The work is first published in the United States or in a foreign nation that, on the date of first publication, is a treaty party. For purposes of this condition, a work that is published in the United States or a treaty party within 30 days after publication in a foreign nation that is not a treaty party shall be considered to be first published in the United States or such treaty party, as the case may be.
  • The work is first published by the United Nations or any of its specialized agencies, or by the Organization of American States.
  • The work is a foreign work that was in the public domain in the United States prior to 1996 and its copyright was restored under the Uruguay Round Agreements Act (URAA)
  • The work comes within the scope of a Presidential proclamation.

Download and print the proper form from the U.S. Copyright website (www.copyright.gov).

Send the completed application, the filing fee and 2 copies of your work to:

Library of Congress

Copyright Office

101 Independence Ave SE

Washington, DC 20559-6000

Your registration with the copyright office takes effect the moment your application, fee, and 2 copies of your work arrive at the office. The copyright office will send a certificate of registration to your mailing address in approximately 4 months.

If you need further information, please visit the United States Copyright website at www.copyright.gov.

How do I protect my work?

According to United States copyright law, a work is considered copyrighted as soon as it is created in a tangible form. In other words, you own the copyright to your book as soon as you write it. You don't have to register with the copyright office for protection; however, holding a registered copyright can can be useful in the event of litigation.

Did you know?

• Both published and unpublished works are considered copyrighted.
  • If you register your work with the copyright office, this registration can be used in court should a lawsuit occur. It provides protection for your work if someone infringes or challenges your copyright.
  • If you believe someone has infringed your copyright, you should consult an attorney. You can file a civil suit; a criminal investigation may be appropriate.
  • US copyright law does not cover titles, names, slogans, and concepts. You are responsible for knowing whether your work is a protected type.
  • Although the US has copyright relations with many nations across the world, not all countries honor US copyright laws.

Note: Please keep in mind that Lulu does not offer legal advice or protection. Following copyright laws is the responsibility of you as a Lulu author because you retain the copyright to your work when it is published on Lulu.com. For more information, check out the United States Copyright Office online at www.copyright.gov.