W-8BEN Tax Form

Lines 6 & 7 of the W-8BEN is asking for numbers that I have no idea what they are or where to find them.

Line 6 "Foreign tax identifying number"  --- Line 7 "Reference number(s)" 

In the past I applied to obtain an (ITIN) Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (nothing to do with Lulu) On the first two tries the IRS returned the forms indicating they were not completed properly. On the third try they wanted a completed tax return. So I finally gave up. They wore me down and kept my money.

How do you fill out this form if you don't have the information requested as per lines 6 and 7? Is there a completed sample form that provides the correct information or how to find the correct information? And don't refer me to the IRS website. It's a nightmare.

-Brian Hinkley

As I read on further, I read this: 

• Non-US Lulu authors should complete and submit a W-8BEN form to remain on file with Lulu. A properly completed form provides us with your US, or non-us tax identification number and assigns you to a Resident Country.

The key here is "a properly completed form" -  but how does completing this form provide Lulu with a non-us tax identification number?

Comments

• Hello Brian

In the past, people submitting a W-8BEN had to first apply for a US ITIN number - which is the experience you had. Now people can submit a Tax ID Number from their country of residence. Sadly, international tax law is not my area of expertise.

In what country are you a resident?

• In what country are you a resident? Answer: Canada
  • You must complete either line 5 or line 6.

According to the instructions for completing the W-8BEN, if you do not have a tax ID number in Canada, skip line 6 and enter your date of birth in line 8.

Line 7 is an optional field. It can be left blank. 

For your reference, lines 1, 2, 3, 5 or 6, 9, and 10 are required fields. 

I hope this helps.

• I'll try, but since I have no idea what numbers to put into lines 5,6 &7 and when I tried previously to obtain an ITIN with no success, I don't expect to fare much better with this exercise. But let's see what happens. Thanks!
  • We wish you the best.

Have a look at the instructions for completing the form. They are written in tax-speak, but they will help guide you.

Another way to avoid US income tax withholding on sales in the US is to purchase an ISBN from the Canadian agency and apply it to your project. This may be simpler than trying to navigate the labrynth of tax treaty law. 

• Glenn_Lulu wrote:

We wish you the best.

Have a look at the instructions for completing the form. They are written in tax-speak, but they will help guide you.

Another way to avoid US income tax withholding on sales in the US is to purchase an ISBN from the Canadian agency and apply it to your project. This may be simpler than trying to navigate the labrynth of tax treaty law. 

True, and on top of that Canadian ISBNs are free to Canadians.

• Please clarify - I have my OWN isbn from South Africa that I used on my project  - so do I still need to fill in the W-8BEN or will  lulu now automatically pay me the full 100% with no US tax deductions  because I have my own country specific ISBN. And therefore do I NOT need to fill in that nine digit number ITN etc 

Thanks

• Can anyone from lulu help?

• We can't provide anything that amounts to tax advice. Because this is an international payment, the tax situation would be dependent on the tax treaty in place between the two countries. I would consult a tax professional.