Koxinga of Taiwan

For the 2015 edition of Koxinga of Taiwan, I think I have finally struck on the right cover.

http://www.lulu.com/shop/jean-paul-g-potet/koxinga-of-taiwan/paperback/product-22119025.html

Comments

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

It looks tidy enough, but what's the black bar at the top left?

• potetjppotetjp Professor

kevinlomas a écrit :

It looks tidy enough, but what's the black bar at the top left?

It's a suggestion by a friend to "sideline" the name Koxinga, and to enhance the red background by contrast. It's the same principle as adding a spot of a different colour on a plain one-colour background to make the latter more visible.

• oncewasoncewas Librarian

I would say that if you have to use the black bar (and I would not; it looks a bit like a mistake) then run it down to just above the shoulder and perhaps have a corresponding horizontal bar at the top of the page.

danielblue a écrit :

I would say that if you have to use the black bar (and I would not; it looks a bit like a mistake) then run it down to just above the shoulder and perhaps have a corresponding horizontal bar at the top of the page.

I agree with you. I wanted to do it this way, but my friend thought it better to "sideline" Koxinga" alone, not the whole title. I'll wait for the proof copy, and then decide whether the best is to remove this bar altogether or change it as you say

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

It's a suggestion by a friend to "sideline" the name Koxinga, and to enhance the red background by contrast. It's the same principle as adding a spot of a different colour on a plain one-colour background to make the latter more visible.

Does sidelining not mean at the left side of the text? Not away from it in a corner? The spot of a different colour method may be valid, if in the right place, or even needed, but your cover is not complex and has a large contrasting font, so I see no need for drawing attention to it.

BTW. Not only it does look like a mistake but that bar has a step in it.

kevinlomas a écrit : 

BTW. Not only it does look like a mistake but that bar has a step in it.

Yes, you are right. This bar was a bad idea.

• DysonLogosDysonLogos Bibliophile
    I think the bar is strong graphic design, although I would have gone a little more bold with it and added 50% to possibly 100% to the width because of the space between it and the word in question.

DysonLogos a écrit :
    I think the bar is strong graphic design, although I would have gone a little more bold with it and added 50% to possibly 100% to the width because of the space between it and the word in question.

I'll try variations on Photoshop. Framing the title on the left and the top looks good.

http://www.lulu.com/shop/jean-paul-g-potet/koxinga-of-taiwan/paperback/product-22124917.html