Poems as an ebook

Hi, Im hoping to publish some of my poems as an ebook,
i dont think there will be any chapters
just the title of the book on the front book cover and there are titles above the poems
at the moment they are in open office 411 and as I scroll down
there are gaps between the pages, is the next step to make it into a web page ?,

do I do that in OO ?

its been suggested that I could have some subchapters,

e.g., poems 1 to 10 and so on, or I assume the alternative is one long

scrolling (flowing ?) page like when im using the laptop, or one page per poem ?,

which do readers prefer ?,

should I remove formatting, anything else to do at my end before i upload ?,

any help welcome, thanks.

Comments

• I made an ebook out of poetry and parked it over at Amazon. I just put the poems on pages, most have a title and some have a picture and there's a picture at the very end. It worked out great. I then made it into an actual book with Createspace- which has since stopped working for me but the proof I got out of it is really nice looking. So it can be done. My question was, and still is: Is someone going to pay for a poetry ebook? It sounds like those two things don't really go together. But it can be done nicely.

• I was advised to use OO by Lulu and glad i did it pointed out the spelling mistakes

wordpad doesnt ?

ive corrected those, as i said in OO some poems are split up by the page breaks

but when i transfer the poems to word pad there are no page breaks

its one continious flowing page

so my next step is to upload the wordpad version to Lulu

and take it from there ?.

Any advice welcome Jeff.

• oncewasoncewas Librarian

If you want each poem to start on a new page simply give each poem a title e.g one, two, three, etc and then set these as Heading Style 1 and then set the color of the heading style to white so that they don't show up on the page.

Also, make the font of the heading as small as possible and don't have any spacing before, or after, the heading so that the first line of your poem shows up pretty close to the top of the page.

• Hi, i understand what your saying, i can do that, firsty tho,

do i need to give each poem its own page at my end in OO ?,

(some poems overlap from bottom of page to top of next page,

hence a gap in some poems)

then i add titles, (numbers), etc, as you say, am i then ready to upload ?.

Thanks.

• I like to read poetry with titles in the heading and numbers as a reader perspective.

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

EPubs do not have 'pages' even though that's how we set up the documents for them in Word or whatever, they use flowing text because people can change the font size and they are also read on my sizes of screens.

Heading Style 1 appears to work as a Page Break, though, as well as being a signal to Lulu's software what word/ you want in the TOC.

Lulu's guide >>

" Page Formatting

Unlike their print counterparts, eBooks do not use page-based formatting, but rather are composed of reflowable text that automatically adjusts based on the selected font and eReader screen size. Page numbers, page breaks, headers, and footers do not exist in eBooks. If you leave them in your document, the Lulu EPUB Converter will remove them.

TIP:   Although page breaks are automatically removed during the conversion to EPUB file format, a page break is inserted before each use of the Heading 1 and Heading 2 styles to indicate the start of a new chapter or section. On an e-reader, this will make the new chapter start at the top of the screen. This also creates a new entry in the EPUB Table of Contents that will link to the chapter or section."

It's not at all unusual for every title in a book of poems to appear in the TOC, but you can use invisible text as suggested, or just * it will be in the TOC though, even if invisible.

• Ive placed the first poem on its own seperate page, added the header column above,

typed 1 into header and saved it as header 1, next poem/page i will type in 2

and save as header 1 and so on, last poem/page eg, 30 saved as header 1.

I will keep the header number black to keep a check on them

and make them small and white before upload.

(I dont type in the title of the poem along with the number ?)

One more question if poss, the TOC, is the TOC an actual page that appears in the book

before the contents of the book, like a list of links to the pages,

or,

is the TOC hidden in the workings and not seen in the actual book.

Ive placed the first poem on its own seperate page, added the header column above,

typed 1 into header and saved it as header 1, next poem/page i will type in 2

and save as header 1 and so on, last poem/page eg, 30 saved as header 1.

I will keep the header number black to keep a check on them

and make them small and white before upload.

Headers (and Footers) are not the same as Heading Styles. Styles are those large examples of fonts in the tool bar that have many options you can set.

(I dont type in the title of the poem along with the number ?)

That's up to you, but whatever text you assign Heading Style 1 to will be used by Lulu's conversion Wizard to create a TOC.

One more question if poss, the TOC, is the TOC an actual page that appears in the book

before the contents of the book, like a list of links to the pages,

A TOC is the contents of the book, TOC = Table Of Contents.

or,

is the TOC hidden in the workings and not seen in the actual book.

It's what is used in ePubs to navigate to the pages in the TOC. It creates links that can be clicked on.

• Hi, ive made webpages in past and you link them to each other

but ive never used numbers etc, i think ill be ok when past this stage,

is either of these correct ?

A: I create a header box at top of page and enter the page number into that header box,

the poem Title and poem is below within parimiter lines of new page 

B: I dont create a header box instead I put the page number directly above

the poem Title, so the page number, the poem Title and poem

are on the same page, (within the parimiter lines of the new page)

if either is correct then i highlight the page number, select Heading 1 from the box

to the left of Type fonts and Type size and click, save as.

If the page number, (And poem Title) is reduced in size and made invisible

will it automaticly be that way in the TOC ?.

Hi, ive made webpages in past and you link them to each other

but ive never used numbers etc, i think ill be ok when past this stage,

is either of these correct ?

You can use whatever you use as a Heading, numbers or text.

A: I create a header box at top of page and enter the page number into that header box,

No boxes of any type at all, Headings are just part of the text but using a different Style. Heading Style 1 in most cases. All other text is set to Bodytext.

the poem Title and poem is below within parimiter lines of new page

No, the poem title is the Heading. The poem in Bodytext. Nothing to do with a new page. Styles apply to paragraph (and all in them) settings.

B: I dont create a header box instead I put the page number directly above

the poem Title,

No, a Heading, ePubs do not have Headers or Footers.

so the page number, the poem Title and poem

EPubs do not have page numbers.

are on the same page, (within the parimiter lines of the new page)

See above.

if either is correct then i highlight the page number,

No, because if numbers are used in anything they are used in Headers or Footers, which ARE different frames to the Headings and the bodytext.

select Heading 1 from the box

Indeed, but select a heading first by high lighting it.

to the left of Type fonts and Type size and click, save as.

That's up to you, all the Converter cares about is what words/letters are set to Heading Style 1.

If the page number, (And poem Title) is reduced in size and made invisible

will it automaticly be that way in the TOC ?.

No page numbers, they should not even be in the page bodytext. What you assign Heading Style 1 to is the 'page number', it's those Headings that a TOC is aimed at, not page numbers. I have never tried the invisible method, but I doubt it will look the same in the TOC.

It really does help if you read this >>     http://connect.lulu.com/t5/eBook-Formatting-Publishing/eBook-Creator-Guide/ta-p/109443

• Hi, thanks, so in my case i dont need headers or footers

say i dont need page numbers for now,

(i was advised to use numbers as titles ? and give them Heading 1)

if i high light the Title (Heading) at the top of the poem

and select Heading 1 and save, will that create the TOC ?

(when i upload).

Hi, thanks, so in my case i dont need headers or footers

No, a file for turning in to an ePub using Lulu's e-book Wizards are actually very very simple, more or less pages with only Bodytext on.

say i dont need page numbers for now,

For ePubs, never.

(i was advised to use numbers as titles ? and give them Heading 1)

Yes but not page numbers, what was meant is that chapters can be numbered 1 to whatever instead of using words.

if i high light the Title (Heading) at the top of the poem

and select Heading 1 and save, will that create the TOC ?

Well, you have to Save the whole file of course after any changes, and it can only be 1 file or it just wont work, but otherwise yes.

(when i upload)

Yes, anything you tag with Heading Style 1 the Converter will create a TOC from. Don't forget the actual title on the title page and the word Copyright as the heading of the Copyright Page also.