We're aware of an issue with converting some DOC, DOCX, ODT, and RTF files to EPUB through our Ebook Wizard.
We've created this Forum Thread with some workarounds and advice to assist you in publishing you ebook.

Book cover image

Here we go again. I really beginning to think I am stupid. I can't seem to get a right size picture for the cover of my book. Whatever picture I use I get the same message:

"The photo you chose might not look clear when printed. You should choose a different image or pick a smaller frame."

I picked a variety of sizes, but none work. What does it mean a smaller frame?

I even tried the pictures supplied, that you can buy, but none of them worked either. I got the same message. I'm stalled again.

- Brian Hinkley

Comments

• wildwindwildwind Publisher

Pictures are usually printed at a resolution of 300 dots per inch. So if, for example, you were printing a 6 x 9 inch picture your image would need to be 1800 pixels in width and 2700 in length.

It sounds like the picture you are trying to use is not of a high enough resolution which is why Lulu is suggesting you use a smaller frame. Putting such a picture into a smaller frame would increase the dots per inch and make for a better quality picture when it is printed.

Start with the highest quality picture that you can and then you can manipulate it to fit the space you want to fill on your cover.

• Thanks Brambles, I'll give it a try.

• For an A5 cover, it needs to be 1787 x 2555 pixels in size, but the help section should tell you all that.

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

I normally create images to the actual inches size and at least 300 DPI. If you also do that then the actual size in pixels does not matter. Note that you can create an image at A5 for example at 50 DPI and it will still be the same A5 size set at 600dpi.

I have not created images for the Cover Wizards little frames for a long time, but they can get upset if you try to load lo-res images in or ones too small. What I do now is to create an image to the exact inch dimensions of my books' pages at least at 300 dpi and drag that across the entire front (one for the back also) deleting the default text. That always works.

See >>   http://www.kevinlomas.net/Lilium-part-2.html   and    http://www.kevinlomas.net/Steam--Vehicles-of-the-Road.html

Oh, as you can see there, keep anything important away from the edges. The images I used there have a border built in to them. If need be you can use the eye-dropper tool to make the spine match.

• wildwindwildwind Publisher

Kevin said

Note that you can create an image at A5 for example at 50 DPI and it will still be the same A5 size set at 600dpi.

Kevin

You should come with a health warning!

If you need to print 300 dots per inch at A5 then you need  5.83 x 8. 27 inches
    which eqautes to

1749 pixels x 2478 pixels

Lulu Moderators

Please, step in here. Kevin Lomas should not be allowed to constantly

spout such sh*t.

Ermm, I know exactly what I set my images to in Paintshop Pro, as I have used for decades. But what is your point? I said that actual size in pixels can be ignored if one simply sets to inches (or CMs) as per A5 as most art/photo progs allows users to do.

• Same thing happened for me spent a lot of time and nothing worked so I went print preview anyway, I met all the guidelines and my proof copy is on the way, I will comment on how it looks when I receive the copy.

But did you view the Print Ready PDF Preview? That is usually how your cover will look because the PR PDF is what is used to print the covers.

Your actual image looks suitable, but what size book is it for? (page size).

The image could be improved by cutting around the Earth to make its background the same black as the text background. As it is now it is dark grey.

• I cannot for the life of me get pictures to upload on the front and back cover of my book.  I get the same message, that it is too large and it will not print clearly.  My question is:  HOW DO I SHRINK THE PICTURE TO FIT ON THE FRONT AND BACK COVER OF MY BOOK?  My book size is 6x9.  Please help!  Once again, this is the only hold-up from me placing this masterpiece on sites for purchasing!!  I thank you for any suggestions to this problem that has literally plagued me since day 1.