We're aware of an issue with converting some DOC, DOCX, ODT, and RTF files to EPUB through our Ebook Wizard.

At this time, we're investigating the problem and looking for a solution.

If you've encountered this issue while converting your file, we suggest attempting to create and upload an EPUB directly to our system.

While there are a number of EPUB conversion options, Calibre (Download Here) has shown the best results for creating an EPUB for the Lulu system. Please review their extensive Help resources (Found Here) to create an EPUB 2 that our system can validate.

We've also created this Forum Thread. Post questions here and we'll do our best to respond and assist.

More control over Kindles

After much research and help from Deemonie, I have gotten my books to show on the first few pages of Amazon and seen a slight increase in sales. What I can't do is do the same for my ebooks on Amazon through lulu.com. I've asked Amazon if I can add or change search tags for these books and I'm told there are none and no I can not add any. Is there any way for lulu to give us more freedom with these kindles? Most I can't even find doing searches and I don't even really know what to look for. Unless you add these directly to Kindle on Amazon you really don't have much of a chance. I know at least there you can add search tags and use some very nice professionaly looking covers. Is there any chance of making search tags available or at least send the ones we added to our pages here along with the book distribution?

Comments

• I passed your question along to our product management team, who in turn contacted our distribution team, who then contacted Ingram CoreSource (our eBook distributor). It appears that CoreSource has the ability to ingest keyword data. We will make the necessary changes to our feed to begin sending this information.

Thanks ShadowMonkey for getting this conversation started.

• Thanks Glenn, it was something myself and a few others had chatted privately about. So rather than go list our books on Amazon separately, I would rather stay loyal and see if the problem could be fixed. If we can add key words to the books on Amazon they will be found easier and we all make more money. Thanks again! Smiley Happy

• Papi_SoñolientoPapi_Soñoliento Southern Escarpment Hill Country Librarian

Ultimately having indie books found and purchased is a win-win for everyone involved.

• oncewasoncewas Librarian

Getting on to the first page which displays when someone searches for a keyword is all important. Once you are beyond a few pages you might as well be in a black hole because Kindle does not allow you to jump around the pages displayed the way Lulu does, and I doubt most people go beyond a few pages.

Getting onto the first page seems to involve a combination of relevance to search, date of publication and units sold. So, for example, if you have just published a book and someone searches for one of the keywords you used your book might appear on the first page even if it has yet to sell. It then starts slipping down the page ranking, unless it sells well in which case it will probably remain on, or near, the first page for as long as it sells well.

Sadly, searching still seems very hit and miss. Sometimes just one letter out is enough to get the search engine confused. Sometimes you can search for the exact name of your book and have other books – with different titles – come up before yours. Still, it is very good news that we might get our keywords sent into distribution alongside our books!