Difficulty getting PDF printed - out of my technical expertise.

I submitted the PDF of my graphic novel as a single, admittedly quite large file (1.4GB) for printing. However, it seems like there is an error with the file. The email back from Lulu's helpful staff stated:

"The problem is stemming from the interior file, "Overkill_Total_Combined.pdf". It is possible that the large file size (1.4 GB) is causing the print software to timeout. We recommend exporting your PDF with our job options settings applied (see linked help articles below)."

I do not have the technical capabilities to understand/figure out how to apply Lulu's job options. If anyone could give me some layman's guidance that would be great.

Comments

• Em_PressEm_Press Publisher

It's not normal for your file to be that large. Check that your images are 300 dpi each, not more.

Don't think too much about the job options. Just reduce the size of your file. Incidentally, how many images do you have?

A citizen of the world.

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

As Maggie points out. Some people create images not giving much thought to what use they are put to. It's common for people to create very large (dimensions) ones then add them to a page, then drag the frames to fit. But the stored image in the file will remain the same size, usually no matter what you do with it on the page.

If you are creating images for pages, then create them for the page size (and shape if a full page) and usually also to fit within the margins.

How Do. Pull up a chair. Would you like a cup of tea? Don't sit in that chair!!
  • The graphic novel is 235 pages, most of which are full page images. How would I check the dpi of PDFs? At the moment I only have the fully combined PDF and not the original images as these are with the artist.

• Em_PressEm_Press Publisher

Hmm...you can try printing this PDF at a lower resolution. Edit "Properties" using DoPDF. You will see the option to reduce the resolution. Reduce it in 5% increments until it is accepted.

doPDf reduce resolution.jpg

A citizen of the world.