Our printers are currently working through record volume for the current academic year. This has, in some cases, caused print times to be extended beyond our regular expectations. Our printers have been working additional shifts and are steadily catching up. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you and appreciate your patience.

"previews" on other sites

Question:  do we authors have any control over the "previews" offered on other sites? 

I've noticed this on numerous sites-  Amazon, etc.-  but the one that's left me aggravated enough to post here is Google.  Yesterday I happened to see Google has the first 84 pages of my book visible! 

Where do these sites get the authority to do this-  offering large chunks of material for free-  and is there anything we can do about it?  or are we giving up our rights by allowing sites to list our books? 

Comments

• Have a look at this article for more information about Google books: http://connect.lulu.com/t5/Marketing/Google-Books-FAQ/ta-p/251545

• potetjppotetjp Bibliophile

I have bought books publicized by Google because I could read some pages I was directed to by a Google search. This is the reason why I always click on the Google link in Lulu, and  I am very grateful that Google should display long excerpts from them.  

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

I stopped clicking the google option because they often preview entire books. Why would people buy them if they can read them for free?

Myself and my friend combined know everything there is to know, but he's not here.

• The only site display I'm aware that we have control of it Amazon.com. If you create an Author Central page you change your book description, add key search words through support contact email, add an about the author page and add a video. Other than that I don't think there's much you can do. If you search for the ISBN on google without the dashes you can see who is selling your book. Some sites I've seen offer the book showing the cover but no description. Who would buy a book like that? Most of these are overseas or non U.S. Some don't even have the cover showing LOL.

• From Glenn's link:

"Google Books previews are set to show 20% of your book’s interior.  This is 20% of the entire interior, not simply the first 20 pages of your 100 page masterpiece.  If you scroll through your listing on Google Books, you may see pages selected from various locations within your book, but the total preview never exceeds 20%".

kevinlomas a écrit :

I stopped clicking the google option because they often preview entire books. Why would people buy them if they can read them for free?

Obviously you are confusing books in the public domain, that Google has digitized, with books still under copyright, that are only partially displayed as a free advertisement  pro bono publico. This is well known.

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

I am not confusing anything with anything. My books are not public domain and an entire book of mine was previewed. But nevertheless, even 20% is far too much.

Myself and my friend combined know everything there is to know, but he's not here.

kevinlomas a écrit :

My books are not public domain and an entire book of mine was previewed.

Have you complained? If you did, what was the result?

• kevinlomas wrote:

I am not confusing anything with anything. My books are not public domain and an entire book of mine was previewed. But nevertheless, even 20% is far too much.

If that is true, it's in breach of Google's own terms and conditions, which state that nobody can preview more than 20% of a book within a 30 day period. Google also undertakes to prevent people from copy/pasting it or otherwise saving it from the preview.

20% is the default limit, but this can be changed to whatever percentage you like, including 100% if you want.

However, it can sometimes look as though the whole book is previewed, when in fact it isn't. When I first saw my book on there I thought the whole thing was available. However, if you scroll through it you'll find areas like this between the pages:

Capture1.JPG

I imagine this is what happened with your book. I don't think it's anything to worry about.