What am I doing wrong?

wildwindwildwind Publisher Publisher

I am trying to make a 8.5 x 11 inch print book. I set those sizes in Word and then made a PDF

I then got this error message:

Your file is 8.264" x 11.694", but you have chosen 8.5" x 11" as your book size.
You can fix this problem by choosing a new book size, or changing your PDF file.

I then downloaded the Lulu 8.5 x 11 inch template, added my text and created a PDF

but I am still getting the same message.

Could someone please tell me what I am doing wrong?

Comments

• Em_PressEm_Press Professor Professor

Take your 8.264" x 11.694" PDF and reprint it as 8.5 x11. You can use DoPDF and edit  Properties to adjust the size. Shrink to Fit, to make sure your text is not cut off.

A citizen of the world.

• wildwindwildwind Publisher Publisher

Thanks Maggie, it worked! I started off with Lulu's 8.5 x 11 inch template so I assumed that was what DoPDF was creating! I guess it must not have been because when I told it to upscale to Letter size it worked.

I am beginning to have second thoughts about using this size because the base cost for distributed books is higher than Lulu's whereas for a 6 x 9 it was less! It makes the book prohibitively expensive.

• Em_PressEm_Press Professor Professor

I say  make it 6 x9. Try the shrink to fit and see how it looks.

A citizen of the world.

• SalithTaydanSalithTaydan Reader Reader
    Sounds like Word and/or your PDF "printer" defaulted to A4 instead of Letter size.