We're aware of an issue with converting some DOC, DOCX, ODT, and RTF files to EPUB through our Ebook Wizard.
We've created this Forum Thread with some workarounds and advice to assist you in publishing you ebook.

no table of contents wanted in my print and eBook

I have a book of fiction and do not want a table of contents.

Comments

• Em_PressEm_Press Professor

You need one in the back end of the ebook (no need for it to be within the file). Assign Heading Style 1 to chapter headings.

A citizen of the world.

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

Should it not be after the title page and copyright page at the front?

You know there is no need for a "table" of contents within an ebook, Kevin. There is an NCX/TOC file for navigation instead.

A citizen of the world.

There is if you want Lulu to pass it.

Yes, absolutely, Kevin, if he/she wants her book to pass validation she/he should put a table within her epub?

You're giving incorrect information.

A citizen of the world.

A citizen of the world.

You're giving incorrect information.

I am? I must have been reading another forum or dreaming what is said in this forum about Lulu insisting on a TOC in ePubs, even a very minimalistic one. It's one of the reasons ePubs do not pass Lulu's vetting process.

Top 10 eBook Rejection Reasons

1. Styles, NCX are missing

In order to create a functional NCX file in your EPUB, you must use styles to format your Microsoft Word document.

MS Word comes with many preset styles, but for the purposes of the Lulu EPUB converter, you will only need four basic styles: Heading 1, Heading 2, Heading 3, and Normal.

In order to pass our eBook QA inspection, you must style the title and section headings in your document as Heading 1, 2, or 3, and all body paragraphs as Normal.

• Tip: In MS Word, open the “Navigation Pane” view to browse your headings – this view also provides a preview of your NCX.

eBooks are often rejected for linking some, but not all sections – so be sure your title, chapters, and ALL subsections (including the often-forgotten Dedication, Copyright and About the Author pages) are linked in your NCX.

2. Headings improperly ordered

Heading styles must be in sequential order, from Heading 1 => Heading 2 => Heading 3. Deviating from this order such as jumping from Heading 1 to Heading 3, or vice versa, will cause a “***” error in the NCX, and result in your work being rejected.

3. Title link/entry improperly styled

Many books are rejected for not following one rule: your title must be the very first line of your MS Word document and it must be styled as Heading 1.

Yes, Kevin, that is why I provided the link on how to create a backend ncx/toc in order that readers can navigate the book. Read my posts again.

A citizen of the world.

I won't debate with you any longer Kevin. If the poster needs any more help he will ask. I think the question has been answered. No go have yourself a great day.

A citizen of the world.

Few people see what is inside an ePub file and to call a TOC an NCX or whatever just confuses them as does saying backend as if you mean the rear pages.

Have you ever watched Shawshank Redemption?

Therein lies my favourite word.

A citizen of the world.

Me? No. Are there any elves or spaceships in it?