We're aware of an issue with converting some DOC, DOCX, ODT, and RTF files to EPUB through our Ebook Wizard.
We've created this Forum Thread with some workarounds and advice to assist you in publishing you ebook.

Linux, LyX, and ePub

Has anyone had the fun of creating an epub 2 ebook using source from Lyx?

I've successfully used Lyx to produce a respectable pdf (currently in print) and it would be nice to offer it also as an epub. I can do it by hand, but I really don't want to - and the epub software I'm writing at present is not yet at that level of operation.

There does appear to be some action on an epub export filter on LyX but it doesn't look finished yet. Other possibilities are perhaps Sigil (tricky sometimes in Linux) or the Calibre epub generator.

Word is not an option; I'm a Linux user. It may be possible to do this with LibreOffice and the appropriate Word format output.

The text has no images, but it uses bullet points internally and multi-level titles (chapter, section, subsection) which I would prefer to keep as links. No fancy fonts.

Thanks,

Neil

Comments

• Well, there doesn't seem to be any immediately obvious way of doing it.

However, cutting and pasting into Sigil one chapter at a time, and a lot of removal of added blank lines and hand tweaking has produced an epub which checks out as valid, is accepted by Calibre, and works ok on my Kobo.

Next stage is to try an ebook project...

Neil

• It won't let me publish

neil_barnes wrote:

Has anyone had the fun of creating an epub 2 ebook using source from Lyx?

I've successfully used Lyx to produce a respectable pdf (currently in print) and it would be nice to offer it also as an epub. I can do it by hand, but I really don't want to - and the epub software I'm writing at present is not yet at that level of operation.

There does appear to be some action on an epub export filter on LyX but it doesn't look finished yet. Other possibilities are perhaps Sigil (tricky sometimes in Linux) or the Calibre epub generator.

Word is not an option; I'm a Linux user. It may be possible to do this with LibreOffice and the appropriate Word format output.

The text has no images, but it uses bullet points internally and multi-level titles (chapter, section, subsection) which I would prefer to keep as links. No fancy fonts.

Thanks,

Neil

BlaBla Bla

• Yeah, same here: a number of error messages of variable helpfulness.

Sigil has created an epub with which my kobo is quite happy, and which checks out both with epubcheck and sigil's on-line check, but it's getting bounced on the grounds of TOC links with no text. Research on here suggests that this is because the book is sensibly arranged in chapters, so that there is a forced page break between them.

Currently arranging the whole thing as a single file, apart from the cover, so let's see what happens when that's done; at the moment, Sigil seems to have had a hiccup and rearranged the header data.

Neil

p.s. I'm not clear from reading the various info files: is it possible to sell an ebook *only* through Lulu? I don't want it to go elsewhere at this point.

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

Lulu is set up to use Word docxs mainly, and the Help is to do with that. People attempt to create ePubs to upload, but they don't often seem to work in Lulu's unique convertor, whereas docxs usually do.

Yes you can sell just on Lulu. Don't set the Project to General than it will not get an ISBN and Dist. There's three options, pick either Direct or Private. The latter speaks for itself :-)

• Thanks, Kevin.

As I said, Word is not an option for me. I'm about to try with a Libre Office DOCX in Word format, but there may be incompatibilities. There are a couple of places where I have non-sequential headings (2-4) which may break it.

Neil

• Okay, finally got an epub published via someone else's Word (I must try again to see if Libre Office works; it claims to accept .odt files) and I can live with it, but it's completely messed up the formatting.

The link between chapter and TOC is completely confused... I have a number of chapters, each with Header 1 styles; each contains Header 2 sub-sections and occasionally Header 3 sub-sub-sections (it's a recipe book). Each sub and sub-sub-section as well as the titles need to be in the TOC and accessible from there - which they are - but ideally I would have preferred that the epub had not been created with each of these sections as a chapter in its own right. It's also decided that the title page (Title and subtitle styles) is a chapter in its own right, with an unwanted 'untitled' entry in the TOC, and it's eaten the page breaks I wanted in there.

Hmm.

When I have more time I may experiment again with entering epubs directly, but I'll have to make do for now; there is a time constraint.

Incidentally, when should the ebook appear in the author spotlight?

Neil

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

Okay, finally got an epub published via someone else's Word (I must try again to see if Libre Office works; it claims to accept .odt files) and I can live with it, but it's completely messed up the formatting.

Try this >>    https://www.openoffice.org/download/index.html  it will save as Doc if not docx.  There's no harm in using Windows you know  Smiley Happy

The link between chapter and TOC is completely confused... I have a number of chapters, each with Header 1 styles; each contains Header 2 sub-sections and occasionally Header 3 sub-sub-sections (it's a recipe book). Each sub and sub-sub-section as well as the titles need to be in the TOC and accessible from there - which they are - but ideally I would have preferred that the epub had not been created with each of these sections as a chapter in its own right. It's also decided that the title page (Title and subtitle styles) is a chapter in its own right, with an unwanted 'untitled' entry in the TOC, and it's eaten the page breaks I wanted in there.

I don't use Page Breaks because when the converter creates the TOC Heading Styles work as Page Breaks. Heading Style 1 is for main chapters. Heading Style 2 for sub-chapters within them, but I am not sure it will go as far as HS 3, but after the use of HS 2 (and then HS 3 if it allows them) you have to return to an HS1 again.

It depends what you call a chapter because if you apply HS 1 to the Title words then the Title words will be in the TOC. It does not mean it thinks it's a chapter.

Hmm.

When I have more time I may experiment again with entering epubs directly, but I'll have to make do for now; there is a time constraint.

Incidentally, when should the ebook appear in the author spotlight?

It should not take long.

• Thanks Kevin; the spotlight updated same day.

With regard to the layout - I would like (and can easily make using raw xhtml/css through e.g. Sigil or Calibre) a book in which there is front-matter, chapters complete on their own, sections in some (but not all) chapters and occasionally sub-sections. Chapters, sections, and sub-sections should all have contents page entries.

For the print book pdf file, this is easy; feed LyX individual chapters and build a wrapper file which contains the front matter and includes the chapter files. It sorts out the page numbering including (by command) roman numerals for the front matter, and, per normal publishing practice, it inserts blank pages if necessary to ensure that each chapter starts poperly on the recto leaf.

However, there is a huge pile of headings - the contents list is four pages long.

When this is done through word, using heading 1, 2, and 3 for chapter, section, and sub-section respectively, and the result fed to Lulu's converter, it does two things:

• it provides a heading 'untitled' for the front matter, and
    • it politely asks if I really intended so many chapters.

To which the answer is, of course, no, I didn't. I intended that many TOC entries (with the exception of the untitled one) but the sections and sub-sections (h2 and h3) should not be considered chapters.

Ok, if that's the way the software works, that's how it works, but it strikes me that it would be nice if it allowed some way of editing the TOC - perhaps a list of check boxes would do this - (and even better if it would allow, at least for Lulu-only distribution, W3C and epubcheck validated ebooks even if they don't meet the requirements of the channels that I'm not using).

Neil