We're aware of an issue with converting some DOC, DOCX, ODT, and RTF files to EPUB through our Ebook Wizard.
We've created this Forum Thread with some workarounds and advice to assist you in publishing you ebook.

Reprinting out-of-print content?

Hi there,

I assume the majority of the users here are creators of their own content so I was wondering....can this service be used for reprinting out-of-print books or music for personal use ? Specifically, there are many old editions and volumes of musical scores made available for free download on the International Music Score Library Project in PDF form. Could your service be used to compile books out of these?

Thank you for your time.

Comments

• Are you talking about public domain works? Then yes, they could, but it is your duty to make certain that they are in the public domain.

Are you talking about works that are out-of-print, for which you have obtained permission from the copyright holder? Then yes, but it is your duty to get permission.

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

I assume the majority of the users here are creators of their own content

Indeed most do, and Lulu and many other places now have a ban on republishing public domain stuff.

so I was wondering....can this service be used for reprinting out-of-print books or music for personal use ?

There's no rule against that, you set a Project to Private.

Specifically, there are many old editions and volumes of musical scores made available for free download on the International Music Score Library Project in PDF form. Could your service be used to compile books out of these?

Indeed, if the PDF shape and sizes match the print sizes available at Lulu. But can you not just print the PDFs out on a home printer instead of paying for the printing and shipping of printed versions? It also possible to bind at home.

http://users.gobigwest.com/rosegate/binding.html

• Thank you both for your very quick responses.

My home printer is not very good and I am less inclined to spend time teaching myself - and practicing - book binding.

Also, does Lulu offer any sort of Lay-flat binding/sewn bindings that will easily rest open on a music stand and not fall apart?

Thanks again for your assistance.

Thank you both for your very quick responses.

No problem and thanks for your thanks.

My home printer is not very good and I am less inclined to spend time teaching myself - and practicing - book binding.

It can be as simple as just slipping on a plastic spine that costs a few pence.

Also, does Lulu offer any sort of Lay-flat binding/sewn bindings that will easily rest open on a music stand and not fall apart?

They offer coil bound. http://www.lulu.com/create/books (take a note of the available shapes and sizes there while you are looking because your PDF will have to match one of them exactly). They will not fall apart.

• kevinlomas wrote:

Indeed most do, and Lulu and many other places now have a ban on republishing public domain stuff.

I don't believe that Lulu has a ban on republishing public domain materials. They don't allow for distribution, but have no restrictions on publication (based on this: http://www.lulu.com/shop/search.ep?keyWords=Moby+Dick&type= )

• kevinlomas wrote:

It can be as simple as just slipping on a plastic spine that costs a few pence.

They offer coil bound. http://www.lulu.com/create/books (take a note of the available shapes and sizes there while you are looking because your PDF will have to match one of them exactly). They will not fall apart.

Hmm, if I were to go with a coil binding then you're probably right that I could do it cheaply on my own. However, it would like to have a spine (whether soft or hard cover) and still have 'layflat'. Most of my newer music books have this... where as my older ones fell apart from the constant need for creasing.

• Lulu's hardcover and perfectbound softcover books do not lay flat well. For layflat POD you are pretty much stuck with spiral binding or saddlestitched.
  • Em_PressEm_Press Professor

You can publish and distribute public domain Print Books as long as they are clearly in the public domain. Lulu will not distribute public domain ebooks.

A citizen of the world.

• Hello InfiniteClouds

If you do not want coil bound, we also offer a saddle stitch format.

• InfiniteClouds wrote:

Hi there,

I assume the majority of the users here are creators of their own content so I was wondering....can this service be used for reprinting out-of-print books or music for personal use ? Specifically, there are many old editions and volumes of musical scores made available for free download on the International Music Score Library Project in PDF form. Could your service be used to compile books out of these?

Thank you for your time.

InfiniteClouds wrote:

Hi there,

Thank you for your time.

Out of print does not by any means mean out of copyright. I notice that the International Music Score Library Project  makes a strong effort to make certain that the materials it offers are, in fact, in the public domain. However, it depends to a large degree on the honesty of the poeple uploading material to the site. I would absolutely double-check to make sure that anything you want to reprint is indeed legal. Anything copyrighted before 1923 is now in the public domain. Anything published after that may or may not be in the public domain, depending on certain circumstances.

You can check copyright status here: http://www.copyright.gov/records/

and here: http://books.google.com/googlebooks/copyrightsearch.html

• Glenn_Lulu wrote:

Hello InfiniteClouds

If you do not want coil bound, we also offer a saddle stitch format.

Thank you for reply. Unfortunately saddle-stitch does not seem to support the volume I would need (certain volumes reaching ~308 pages).

Also, it turns out that the PDF has varying page sizes (since they are scans, I suppose) and I see no easy way to instantly making them all scaled/uniform.,

Ron Miller wrote:

Out of print does not by any means mean out of copyright. I notice that the International Music Score Library Project  makes a strong effort to make certain that the materials it offers are, in fact, in the public domain. However, it depends to a large degree on the honesty of the poeple uploading material to the site. I would absolutely double-check to make sure that anything you want to reprint is indeed legal. Anything copyrighted before 1923 is now in the public domain. Anything published after that may or may not be in the public domain, depending on certain circumstances.

You can check copyright status here: http://www.copyright.gov/records/

and here: http://books.google.com/googlebooks/copyrightsearch.html

The specific materials were published 1922-29, but were never renewed by 1957 - they're public domain. IMSLP is pretty good about it.

• InfiniteClouds wrote:

Also, it turns out that the PDF has varying page sizes (since they are scans, I suppose) and I see no easy way to instantly making them all scaled/uniform.,

The easiest way to do this is to have a PDF Printer installed (I use Adobe Acrobat personally, but a lot of authors here use various free PDF printers).

1. Find out the exact page size you will need for your document size (I print a lot of hardcover letter sized documents, which require a final size of 8.25 x 10.75 inches).

2. Open the PDF document you need resized.

3. Print the document using the PDF Printer instead of your physical printer as the printer choice. In the advanced settings of the PDF printer, set the exact page size you need (with Adobe Acrobat I have to choose to use a Custom Postscript size from the drop down and enter the dimensions manually). Make sure to set it to shrink and zoom each page to fit the final print size.

This will output a PDF file where every page is the exact size you asked for.

I am sure I recall an outrage when Ingram (I think it was) and/or Amazon started to delete all books they thought may be PD just in case some were not. It was baby - bathwater time.

What is a PDF Printer? All the printers I have owned have been able to resize, or whatever, anything they have been instructed to print with no need for additional software.

Hmm, if I were to go with a coil binding then you're probably right that I could do it cheaply on my own. However, it would like to have a spine (whether soft or hard cover) and still have 'layflat'. Most of my newer music books have this... where as my older ones fell apart from the constant need for creasing.

From what I have seen, musicians usually have sheet music on their stands. I suppose photocopied from a book.

Perhaps the obvious solution is to just view them on a tablet, or even a laptop. Touch-screen would be best though.

I don't believe that Lulu has a ban on republishing public domain materials. They don't allow for distribution, but have no restrictions on publication

Perhaps Lulu have not yet caught up with the 100s of republished PD books? One of the other reasons Amazon did a clear-out was to get rid of the 1000s of identical books, well, as being pointless, and possibly just someone trying to make a fast buck.

Thank you for reply. Unfortunately saddle-stitch does not seem to support the volume I would need (certain volumes reaching ~308 pages).

They are for your own use, just split them up.

Well one method is to use PrtScn. Open them in some art/photo software, cut the page out, open as New Image, change the sizes, Save as Jpg, create a Word document of the 'right' size, paste the jpgs to the pages. Is it all worth it I ask myself?

• kevinlomas wrote:

What is a PDF Printer? All the printers I have owned have been able to resize, or whatever, anything they have been instructed to print with no need for additional software.

It is a program that installs itself as a printer in your operating system that allows you to distill a PDF using the OS-native print dialog. So when you "print" the document, you can select to print with a physical printer, or with this PDF printer (thus producing a PDF). Adobe Acrobat offers this functionality, as do a number of third-party PDF distillers.

• kevinlomas wrote:

Well one method is to use PrtScn. Open them in some art/photo software, cut the page out, open as New Image, change the sizes, Save as Jpg, create a Word document of the 'right' size, paste the jpgs to the pages. Is it all worth it I ask myself?

PrintScreen captures a screen-resolution image, which is much lower resolution than the original image. As I said, it would be easier to just reprocess the PDF using a PDF distiller / printer.

t is a program that installs itself as a printer in your operating system that allows you to distill a PDF using the OS-native print dialog. So when you "print" the document, you can select to print with a physical printer, or with this PDF printer (thus producing a PDF). Adobe Acrobat offers this functionality, as do a number of third-party PDF distillers.

I still don't see the need. Windows has Print As (PDF) built in where it 'prints' as a file.

PrintScreen captures a screen-resolution image, which is much lower resolution than the original image.

I have just tested that, and it captures at 300dpi. Which is adequate.