'Miss' being added to the beginning of my name

I just noticed that 'Miss' is being added to my name on my eBooks. I have no idea how this is happening. I've checked my saved files and they don't have it, I haven't added it on any of the book info, and yet for some reason it's there on the downloads and - more annoyingly - on iBooks.

I would rather not look like like a snob, so obviously I would prefer for my name not to be showing as 'Miss Rebecca Hillary'. Does anyone have any idea why this could be happening, or how to stop it?

Comments

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

That is very strange because only what you type in to the places you can type in to are used.

Is it also on the pages of your book?

How Do. Pull up a chair. Would you like a cup of tea? Don't sit in that chair!!
  • Sorry it's taken so long to reply, I've been away from home for the day.

There's nowhere to add Mr/Mrs/Miss in the wizard and I haven't added it anywhere in the files I've uploaded. It doesn't appear on any of the pages in the books, but if I 'edit' the epub files in Calibre the author name apears as "Miss Rebecca Hillary" in the content.opf and toc.ncx files.

I guess I could edit the epub files and re-upload them, but does anybody know if that would that affect distribution through external channels like iBooks?

• It may have gotten added in your program. If you do a revision and reupload a new version it will take a couple of weeks or longer to update to the new version on Ibooks etc. In the meantime the old one will still be there for sale.

• I'm pretty certain it's been added by the epub converter when I uploaded the .doc files, I just don't know how or why. It's not in the original files, but it's there once the files are converted. I've edited the epub files and uploaded them as revisions, so I guess time will tell how it will affect the iBookstore listings.

I'll know from now on how to edit the converted epub file, so at least I can do something about the problem, even if I don't know why it's happening in the first place. Smiley Very Happy

Thanks both of you for your help anyway. 

• oncewasoncewas Bibliophile

You might want to check the fourth paragraph of your ebook as there are two errors which change the meaning somewhat.

I like your cover, by the way.

Sorry it's taken so long to reply, I've been away from home for the day.

There's nowhere to add Mr/Mrs/Miss in the wizard and I haven't added it anywhere in the files I've uploaded. It doesn't appear on any of the pages in the books, but if I 'edit' the epub files in Calibre the author name apears as "Miss Rebecca Hillary" in the content.opf and toc.ncx files.

Ah. Usually when you create documents on a PC (it does on Windows I don't know about other OSs) the OS will tag them with the name given to the PC. An account name. It could be Miss Jane Smith. That has not carried across when I upload docx to the ePub Wizard but perhaps that happens when one is edited in Calibre?

Word tags documenents also (click File - Info) but as I say, those tags do not seem to carry over to Lulu's Project Wizards.

I guess I could edit the epub files and re-upload them, but does anybody know if that would that affect distribution through external channels like iBooks?

It should not do. It will just eventually update the changes. I think they only thing that gets 'locked' is the title. But have you looked at all the details on the first page Revise opens up?

• Ah. Usually when you create documents on a PC (it does on Windows I don't know about other OSs) the OS will tag them with the name given to the PC. An account name. It could be Miss Jane Smith. That has not carried across when I upload docx to the ePub Wizard but perhaps that happens when one is edited in Calibre?

I think there may be some confusion here - I haven't opened anything in Calibre until after the doc file has been converted to epub when I upload it to the site. It's after the doc file goes through the ePub converter that 'Miss' is added to my name.
    I've checked the doc files and they're tagged as 'Rebecca Hillary' for Author, 'Rebecca' for Account and 'Llamastein' for Computer (my daughter named it). Smiley Very Happy

The Author(s) section on the Review and Revise pages has only ever shown Rebecca Hillary, not Miss Rebecca Hillary.

• Hello RebeccaHillary

I will be happy to take a look at your files.

In which eBook are you seeing your name as Miss Rebecca Hillary?

Where in the eBook does this display?

• I noticed that Miss is included in the email address you registered on Lulu. If "Miss" is not displayed in your book or on the cover (except when viewed in edit mode of Calibre), is it possible that the "Miss" in the code is being included as a result of your Lulu.com username?

• Surprisingly, that seems to have been the problem! I've changed to a different email address, and the issue has gone away. Thanks for the suggestion!

• It is my pleasure.

Please let us know if you need any additional assistance.

Thanks Glenn. I was beginning to wonder if only Lulu could sort this out because it is a strange problem!

• So it appears to have been a ... Misstake?

Sorry. couldn't resist.

Smiley Happy

A misstery solved.

• kevinlomas wrote:

A misstery solved.

I knew that Glenn would not be Misstified.