Length of an ebook

Could you guys show me a link, or just tell me how long an ebook has to be? I mostly write short stories, so I'd like to know if there's some kind of necessary minimum according to the marketplace rules.

Comments

• oncewasoncewas Librarian

There are no hard and fast rules but if I see someone trying to sell a one, or two, page book I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole as I fear it may simply be spam i.e. there is no story to be read but it contains links to some other product the 'writer' wishes you to purchase.

If you re going to be selling a twenty page book I would suggest selling it at about $0.99, I have published short books of just over ten thousand words and had them sell at that price. I state in the blurb how many words long the story is so that buyers don't end up being disappointed…well, not by the length of the story at any rate!

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

Could you guys show me a link, or just tell me how long an ebook has to be?

There's no such link as such because there's no rules, apart from the sensible ones Dan mentions.

One problem is that, even though you can mark them as free on Lulu,  places Like Amazon have a minimum price for Kindle books, so if you opt to have your ePub sent there, then you do not want to be trying to charge people Amazon's min price for the equivalent of just one or two pages.

I mostly write short stories, so I'd like to know if there's some kind of necessary minimum according to the marketplace rules.

Not as such, but ePubs do not have pages, really. It's word count that people are buying. There's no reason you cannot have a book of short stories rather than a lot of books with a story each.

There's not only the story pages though, because you will also need to set up a Title Page and a Copyright Page, and I think that's the bare minimum you are allowed in an ePub TOC, otherwise it will not pass.

So there's two extra pages to start with, to add your story or stories too.

BTW. I am only assuming you mean an ePub because you can also create a PDF ebook here. I wish people would say which they mean.

Myself and my friend combined know everything there is to know, but he's not here.

• newbie91,

I am an author of short story books and currently have eighty  published.

So far my book lengths vary from thriteen pages to twenty-one pages.

Some readers prefer short stories, especialy if they do have much time.

My books are publsihed in ebook format as well as paper back book size 6" x 9".

Good luck with your writing.

• oncewasoncewas Librarian

Writer Lady,

I have a question about short story print books. You say that you
    publish print books of between about 13 and 20 pages as a 6 x 9 paperback
    but the minimum for this format is 32 pages. Does this mean you pad your
    books out to meet the minimum requirement? And, also, I'm curious about
    how well such short printed books sell.

Am I missing an opportunity by not offering short story print books?

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

I assume she means her longer short stories are also in printed format? But seeing as the lion's share of the cost of a printed book are the covers it's not always a good ploy to have one with not many pages. What is not enough though?

It does not matter with ebooks though, but I would not expect to pay a lot for one with not many words in it.

Myself and my friend combined know everything there is to know, but he's not here.