Micromanaging my distribution channels

Hi all, 

I am looking for advice on changing the distribution network on one of my books as a marketing method to learn more about how things work. I will explain.

Right now all of my books are published through Lulu and distributed to all channels as well. What I want to do is remove my one free ebook from being distributed to Amazon and then submit it to Amazon directly through KDP. The idea being I can learn then how KDP works and I can also micromanage the Catagories directly as well as the keywords which I can also update in a quick fashion.  The idea being I can then work out a formula for good Categorization and keyword format in a far shorter space of time rather than continually submitting changes to Lulu and waiting for them to be forwarded on  to Amazon and then wondering when Amazon will get it done.  The keywords in particular dont show up on any Amazon page if you dont submit directly through them.

So my question is this, can I declick the tick to the left of the Amazon channel on the distribution page and then immediately submit my ebook to Amazon, or do I have to wait a period of time?

Looking forward to replies, thanks!

Comments

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

I would have thought so. But it may be best to wait until it's delisted from Amazon first, and that can take weeks.

Myself and my friend combined know everything there is to know, but he's not here.

• It is not possible to post free books to Kindle; this has to be done via distribution. Any book uploaded to Kindle has to have a price of at least $ 0.99

It will take some weeks for your ebook to be delisted from Kindle.

You can place them for free in the Lending Library.

Myself and my friend combined know everything there is to know, but he's not here.

• You cannot 'place books for free' in the lending library. If you enrol your book in KDP Select (i.e. the ebook cannot be available on any other sales channel) and you charge at least $ 2.99 then people who are eligible to borrow your books without paying for them (i.e. those who have either Amazon Prime or Kindle Unlimited which are both subscription services) can do so, but there is simply no way to get a free book onto Kindle directly.

Also, if you have a book enrolled in KDP Select then you are allowed to give your book away for 5 days in every 90 day cycle but it cannot be made permanently available for free.

• So, while waiting for the book to delist from Kindle, will it still be available as a download? I am imagining so.

I also read in another posting that an author had removed their book from Lulu and created another copy elsewhere and that both were still available from the same page. The response from Lulu was that yes it would take a couple of weeks to be pulled down. But by the same token, Lulu did not voice any concerns about both still being up on Amazon?

people who are eligible to borrow your books without paying for them

That would be free then ...

I have done it.

• As I so carefully stated the people who are eligible to borrow books without paying for them are members of Amazon Prime or Kindle Unlimited which are both pay-per-month subscription services. So no Kevin Lomass, they aren't free for all.

Sometimes people who have bought a book are able to loan it to a friend; this is not a revenue generating event for the author in the same way as a KDP Select book being borrowed is.

You have done what exactly? Managed to publish a free book directly on Kindle? Borrowed a book without paying for it? If so, you might want to post the step-by-step guide to this process.

None of this helps the OP who wants to publish a free book directly on Kindle. The bottom line is it can't be done.

• Okay time to put a stop to this.

The point of the posting was not about directly submitting a free ebook to Amazon, as was detailed in my opening post. The meat of the text dealt with wishing to submit material to amazon to learn more about KDP and how it works. Using my free ebook is simply to be the tool to do that. It matters not to me if I have to now charge for it. 

But I will say the points brought up are valid in regards to trying to submit a book to Amazoin as a free ebook. It jsut isnt relevant in my case.

Lastly the direct question dealt with what happens when declicking distribution to Amazon and what position that places me in with regards to subsequent Lulu content still showing up on Amazon for a period of time.

As I so carefully stated the people who are eligible to borrow books without paying for them are members of Amazon Prime or Kindle Unlimited which are both pay-per-month subscription services. So no Kevin Lomass, they aren't free for all.

And as I stated carefully, they are free in the library to those who pay for the vast media service Amazon Prime now offer. The point is >>> there's no extra charge to borrow the books >> therefore they are free as a tiny part of a now massive subscription service.. It even says they are free.

Sometimes people who have bought a book are able to loan it to a friend; this is not a revenue generating event for the author in the same way as a KDP Select book being borrowed is.

KDP is Amazon's Kindle Direct publishing service. It's not the Lending Library or Amazon Prime.

You have done what exactly? Managed to publish a free book directly on Kindle? Borrowed a book without paying for it? If so, you might want to post the step-by-step guide to this process.

Many books actually, one I experimented with in the optional Lending Library. One of my sons subscribes to Amazon Prime to watch all the films etc they have on there, and indeed the books in the Lending Library are free to those subscribers. Is it so hard to understand? A P costs around £1.60 a week, the lower cost of one e-book and there are millions in the Lending Library ...

None of this helps the OP who wants to publish a free book directly on Kindle. The bottom line is it can't be done.

It can that way. Sigh.