Children's book illustrators and rights questions

so, I am making a children's book to help kids with the same medical condition as my daughter. Procceds will go to charity so I am not in to make money.

I hired an illustrator in Indonesia and I am not sure how I need to deal with copyright issues, I am paying him per illustration and there has been no talk about anything else, I assume it is understood.

should i bring it up? If so what should I say and what document should I have him agree to.

I have no idea.

Also, does his name needs to be on the cover or can it be only in the inside on the title page?

HELP! 

Comments

• Em_PressEm_Press Professor Professor

If you are making an ebook as well, then if his name is on the title page, it needs to be on the cover as well.

He has no rights if he has not specifically requested them and if you are buying the work, which it seems you are.

However, it looks good if the book has an author and illustrator on the cover and title page. Most books do unless the author and illustrator are one and the same.

A citizen of the world.

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius Lulu Genius

Maggie creates a lot of such books, you cannot go wrong taking her advice.

But I always feel the need to add something  Smiley Wink

so, I am making a children's book to help kids with the same medical condition as my daughter. Procceds will go to charity so I am not in to make money.

Make sure use Lulu's free ISBN then you will have more retail outlets. But you will have to make sure the book option you pick can have an ISBN because they all cannot.

I hired an illustrator in Indonesia and I am not sure how I need to deal with copyright issues, I am paying him per illustration and there has been no talk about anything else, I assume it is understood.

should i bring it up? If so what should I say and what document should I have him agree to. I have no idea.

Never assume anything, get an agreement in writing or it may come back and bite you.

Also, does his name needs to be on the cover or can it be only in the inside on the title page?

It does not need to be, but at times an artist can be grateful of it. It's publicity for them. At times some will accept that instead of payment.

I do have to point out that POD is expensive so it's hard to set a competitive price. If you go for full-colour it's shockingly expensive. For a print book you could offer the choice of a B&W or a coloured one, let the buyer choose. Avoid hard-backed!

There's no such problem with an ePub, but perhaps get Maggie to create that for you? It's not easy with pictures in!

• Ron MillerRon Miller Professor Professor

vouvoune wrote:

should i bring it up? If so what should I say and what document should I have him agree to.

I have no idea.

HELP! 

This is something you should have settled before the artist even began work. Things like this should not be left to what you "assume." The only way in which you can claim copyright to the work is if it were a "work for hire," and that is something you needed to establish, in writing, at the outset. Otherwise, the copyrights to the art belong to the artist.

Whether you make any money from this project is completely irrelevant so far as your obligations to the artist.

How the artist is credited is an entirely different matter and, again, should have been established at the outset. At the very least, this not being a work for hire project, you need to acknowledge his copyright on the copyright page.

Ron Miller wrote:

vouvoune wrote:

I have no idea.

HELP! 

This is something you should have settled before the artist even began work. Things like this should not be left to what you "assume." The only way in which you can claim copyright to the work is if it were a "work for hire," and that is something you needed to establish, in writing, at the outset. Otherwise, the copyrights to the art belong to the artist.

Whether you make any money from this project is completely irrelevant so far as your obligations to the artist.

How the artist is credited is an entirely different matter and, again, should have been established at the outset. At the very least, this not being a work for hire project, you need to acknowledge his copyright on the copyright page.

It I can chime in behind Ron here... Not only is his advice solid, but you should also consider the fact that Indonesian laws may be very different from what you expect. Typically, the laws of a country benefit the citizens of that nation to the exclusion of foreigners. I knew a few fellows who discovered this is the RPI, where the laws are nearly predatory towards citizens of other nations.

For example, in the RPI, if a price is not settled before an item is sold, then the price is anything that the seller decides it to be. Empty your pockets; you shouldn't have drank that coke without asking "how much?"

I do not know Indonesian law on this point, but you need to nail down an ironclad contract in writing today.

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius Lulu Genius

I often wonder if I am invisible.

• Skoob_ymSkoob_ym Teacher Teacher

kevinlomas wrote:

I often wonder if I am invisible.

Who said that?