Problems with Interior Formatting

I wrote my book using Microsoft Word and its initial size was 8.5x11. The size I want to print, however, is 4.25x6.88, but whenever I try to change the size on Word I either wind up with way too many pages or (with a reasonable number of pages) the words are so small I'm afraid they won't be readable when printed. I considered using the print assistant Lulu offers, but for one thing I don't want to spend that much, and I also only want the book to be available to me for right now. Any help/advice will be much appreciated!

Comments

• Em_PressEm_Press Professor

Make it 6 x9. It's a great size -- with distribution should you want to to sell it publicly one day.

A citizen of the world.

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

I wrote my book using Microsoft Word and its initial size was 8.5x11. The size I want to print, however, is 4.25x6.88,

A5 is a good size at 8.25" h x 5.75" w (trimmed) and cheaper than your very small size.

but whenever I try to change the size on Word I either wind up with way too many pages or (with a reasonable number of pages)

I am not with you there. Either they are too many or reasonable!

What do you call too many?

I would expect that a resize like that would double the page count? How many pages are in both sizes?

Did you keep the margins the same?

the words are so small I'm afraid they won't be readable when printed.

Changing a page size does not change the font size, perhaps you are zoomed out to far?

But what font size does it say it is? That's what matters.

But never keep making a font smaller and smaller just to reduce a page count. What is more important is if people can actually read it! Try 12 or 11 pnt.

I considered using the print assistant Lulu offers, but for one thing I don't want to spend that much,

That will not solve your problem.

and I also only want the book to be available to me for right now.

Set it at Private.

Any help/advice will be much appreciated!

We need to know more.