Landscape in Microsoft Book Fold

According to Lulu.com, the project should be in portrait orientation. In Microsoft, using the book fold setting it only allows landscape.

When I setup the page as recommended, in portrait and using "mirror margins" plus adding a gutter, all the pages are offset to the same side rather than being opposing offset for odd vs. even numbered pages. In the book fold setting it properly offsets every other page in opposite directions for the back to back printing of the pages.

What am I missing please? Or does the landscape orientation work properly in book fold setting because the page is split in two parts?

Thank you in advance for your attention to this matter:
Rock

Comments

• Em_PressEm_Press Publisher

Set it all up as portrait.

Mirror margins, gutter yes, don't even look at the fold - prepare the book as single pages. The first page is on right, and this can't be hidden in Word. Print the PDF and make first page stand alone. You will see the gutter.

A citizen of the world.

• Thank you for your response.
    While I've been using word for some years, I have never gotten very in depth with its capabilities.

I have been researching things such as page breaks and section breaks. When you said to make the first page standalone, are you saying to insert a section break?

Also, what does making the first page standalone do in the case of printing?

Thank you

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

Perhaps Maggie means View Single Page?

I don't think I use Mirror Margins setting. I just set them where I want them to be and add a Gutter. I do use Different Right And Left Page though.

I cannot look right now because I have many Word documents open not using my book template.

How Do. Pull up a chair. Would you like a cup of tea? Don't sit in that chair!!

Hi Rock,

Go to View/ Page Display/ Show cover page in two page view

or View > Page Display > Show Cover Page During Two-Up

Only possible in PDF viewers not in Word.

A citizen of the world.

Rock,

The first page always prints alone on right when printing. That's why it's a good idea to view it this way.

A citizen of the world.

• I'm trying really hard with this. Maybe my edition makes a difference.

I have Word 2003 Student edition. There is not "Page Display"

available under the tab "View."
    Is 2003 Student edition the same as  what you're describing?

Also, will the gutter be properly oriented on page 2 and beyond

when the first page is standalone? I imagine it will be or

you would not recommend it. I'm just verifying.

Thank you for your patience.

Rock

I'm trying really hard with this. Maybe my edition makes a difference.

I have Word 2003 Student edition.

I don't know if that makes a difference, it just means students get a discount does it not? I use Office Home 2010.

There is not "Page Display" available under the tab "View."

All the same, look at the View tab. All the view options are there, even if not called that. But it is simple to view from 1 to every page when you are on any tab, just zoom in and out. Use the option at the far bottom right corner. It's all just logic and you can always use the Undo option.

Is 2003 Student edition the same as  what you're describing?

As far as I know it's all the same. The same functions should be in all Word versions but perhaps with different UIs. I think MS introduced the Ribbon tool bar with W 2010, but it's just the same tools.

Also, will the gutter be properly oriented on page 2 and beyond when the first page is standalone?

I don't know what this "standalone" is. Is it the Different First Page option? Which means in each Section or the whole document it does just that when set to do so, often used to stop a page number etc appearing on the first page of the story and causing the next page having 2 on it and so on.

I imagine it will be or you would not recommend it. I'm just verifying.

These are my settings. (A5)

Top and bottom 0.75"

(Header and Footer boxes will auto-adjust those).

Right and Left 0.50"

Gutter 0.25"

Gutter Position  Left.

Those are the basic settings as controlled in Margins - Custom Margins and should do to be going on with.

• Thank you Maggie and kevinlomas for your answers. I think I got it.

Rock

• Hello Again:
    I came in here to once again thank you both for your responses to my dilemma. I was on the very first page, trying to format the book. I had never done this before so a hurdle right out the gate was quite disheartening. Getting over that one hurdle has propelled me immensely. Thank you so much for the information. I'm really enjoying formatting this book now and I attribute it all to the help I received.

None of us have ever done it before we did it  Smiley Happy

It took me ages to get my own made templates to behave and if I have to adjust how the Headers and Footers link to each other (which I don't do often, so often forget how) for example, I struggle with it on a poke at it until it behaves basis.

Thanks for coming back to say thanks, some appear to read solutions to a problem they posted and never even reply!

thank-you_0

• And: Thank you for the reply. I view a forum such as this much like a personal, one on one, dialog. I would thank someone in person, so to me, it's only right to acknowledge it here.

I'm glad to be here and I am sure I will have more questions as this is my first time. I am well versed in certain areas of life and on other fora, help those who are new. I am grateful to have the help and support here.