We're aware of an issue with converting some DOC, DOCX, ODT, and RTF files to EPUB through our Ebook Wizard.
We've created this Forum Thread with some workarounds and advice to assist you in publishing you ebook.

Amazon does magic no doubt!

Fascinating!

This morning (Saturday) I see that Amazon has my new book in stock available for delivery this coming Tuesday. What magic they must posess to conjure up copies that have not been printed (as far as I can tell) and deliver them faster than I could get them myself?

Fact is stranger than fiction, I suppose.  Smiley Wink

Comments

• You will find that second hand copies of your book are supposedly available on Amazon even before you have sold a single new one. When you take a closer look at these second hand copies they claim to be print on demand!

• Also of interest is that they list Lulu as the publisher. That is not what either the title page nor the copyright page that they display say. I wonder, to meet this "in stock and arrives in 3 days" claim of theirs, do they print them themselves? They claim the hardback version takes 3 to 8 weeks!

Must be magic...

• Well, yes...it is print on demand. If someone orders your book from Amazon they will print it and ship it.

You didn't think that they first have to ask Lulu to print it, did you? We are talking about one of the most

ambitious companies in the world!

Although you are the publisher, publishing through Lulu, everyone experiences having Lulu listed as

the publisher when they distribute to Amazon through Lulu.

Don't sweat the small stuff; enjoy each and every sale.

• Thank you, DanielBlue.

Yes, I was under the impression that Lulu's printers would supply the merchandise for Amazon. I suppose that assumption was a bit naive of me.

Actually, that illumination is very reassuring to me! It gives me hope that perhaps my work is not destined to languish in complete obscurity and that there is a glimmer of a chance that it will bring some joy to the hearts of more than the one it was written for.

I'm learning, thanks to the great people on this forum. Thank you again.

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

Amazon have its own self-publishing arm (Createspace) with their own POD machines which they use to full any orders for POD books placed on Amazon. We still get what we are due though.

Some book outlets that advertise on Amazon do boast that they have copies in stock, though, even if they have not. Amazon say that's none of Amazon's business. I doubt the places have them in stock, it just gives people the impression the book can be delivered faster.

Lulu bulk pre-buy ISBNs for us to use, so they are registered in Lulu's name as the actual publisher (because someone has to be when they are bought).

• kevinlomas wrote:

Lulu bulk pre-buy ISBNs for us to use, so they are registered in Lulu's name as the actual publisher (because someone has to be when they are bought).

Therefore, if you don't use a Lulu ISBN, Lulu aren't listed as the publisher on Amazon.

Therefore, if you don't use a Lulu ISBN, Lulu aren't listed as the publisher on Amazon.

True, but it's far less messing around when you do use Lulu's free ISBNs. If I recall rightly, if one opens an Author Central account with Amazon, what you are not able to edit oneself via the tools in it, Amazon will happily edit for you, including that auto-publisher entry.

• If Lulu aren't listed as the publisher on Amazon then how can they get copies of book from Lulu?

Because that's who placed it there. Sites hold details even if people cannot see them.