Inconsistant page count on iBooks

I have just seen that The Flight of the Arrow has made it onto iBooks (Woo hoo). However, the page count is only 101. It is actually 185 pages of A4 or 343 of A5 (paperback version).  I also checked book 1 - The Archer's Paradox (140 A4 or 177 A5) but iBooks reports 464!

Anyone else getting the same issue or have I done something wrong? Please let me know. If people think they are only going to get 101 paperback pages for their money, they are less likely to part with the hard earned wedge.

Comments

• That has been noted often, and I think you have to ask Lulu to get Apple to correct it. But what I don't understand is that ePubs do not have pages, just reader adjustable text. The docx I use for ePub creation are A4 (whereas my printed books are up-to A5) Does it take that as the page count? (I have to admit I have never looked).

I have always said it should be a word count. Perhaps a word count should be mentioned in our Descriptions? Or Lulu could fit a bar under Descriptions (in Revise) where we can enter a word count.

• Hi Kevin. Some excellent points well made, thanks.  I think I will take up your suggestion of putting a word count in the descriptions. A simple and obvious idea when you think about it. I know some Kindle books advertise 'real page numbers', whatever that means but I don't know that much about eBook technology to know the difference between EPUB, MOBI, AWZ3 files or how they work.

For ebooks I use standard docx A4 format using the default Word set up with no fancy fonts, headers, footers and so on.  For paperbacks I use the A5 Lulu template but tweak it with headers, footers and custom fonts.

• Hi Kevin. Some excellent points well made, thanks.

I think I will take up your suggestion of putting a word count in the descriptions. A simple and obvious idea when you think about it.

It is an obvious idea I would have thought, but strange that retail sites have not thought of it.

I know some Kindle books advertise 'real page numbers', whatever that means

I am not sure about that either and I publish direct to Amazon Kindle, and have no page numbers that I know of anyway!

but I don't know that much about eBook technology to know the difference between EPUB, MOBI, AWZ3 files or how they work.

They are really just competing file types. Amazon's was to gain exclusivity with e-books on Amazon. Perhaps think Betamax  Smiley Happy

For ebooks I use standard docx A4 format using the default Word set up with no fancy fonts, headers, footers and so on.  For paperbacks I use the A5 Lulu template but tweak it with headers, footers and custom fonts.

Indeed, but with paper books a page count actually means something. But then again a paper book could boast 800 pages but have a size 20 font. At least one rare instance on Lulu had no page contents at all.  Smiley Surprised

• kevinlomas wrote:

Hi Kevin. Some excellent points well made, thanks.

I think I will take up your suggestion of putting a word count in the descriptions. A simple and obvious idea when you think about it.

It is an obvious idea I would have thought, but strange that retail sites have not thought of it.

I know some Kindle books advertise 'real page numbers', whatever that means

I am not sure about that either and I publish direct to Amazon Kindle, and have no page numbers that I know of anyway!

Just had a look on Amazon and the help text says the 'real page numbers' are taken from the print version. So no print version, no page numbers.

but I don't know that much about eBook technology to know the difference between EPUB, MOBI, AWZ3 files or how they work.

They are really just competing file types. Amazon's was to gain exclusivity with e-books on Amazon. Perhaps think Betamax  Smiley Happy

I was one of the five people in the UK with a V2000 format VCR Smiley Tongue

Indeed, but with paper books a page count actually means something. But then again a paper book could boast 800 pages but have a size 20 font. At least one rare instance on Lulu had no page contents at all.  Smiley Surprised

True. I actually reduced the font size on The Flight of the Arrow to reduce the number of pages to make it a bit cheaper and make it a similar width to The Archer's Paradox.

• Just had a look on Amazon and the help text says the 'real page numbers' are taken from the print version. So no print version, no page numbers.

Hrrmm, that's interesting. I have many print books on Amazon but placed there via Lulu not via Amazon's Createspace. I wonder if that makes a difference to if they can count the pages?

They are really just competing file types. Amazon's was to gain exclusivity with e-books on Amazon. Perhaps think Betamax  :smileyhappy:

I was one of the five people in the UK with a V2000 format VCR :smileytongue:

I think my grandfather invested in steam cars.

Indeed, but with paper books a page count actually means something. But then again a paper book could boast 800 pages but have a size 20 font. At least one rare instance on Lulu had no page contents at all.  :smileysurprised:

True. I actually reduced the font size on The Flight of the Arrow to reduce the number of pages to make it a bit cheaper and make it a similar width to The Archer's Paradox.

Be careful to never go below a comfortable to read font size.