New publisher. Couple of odd questions for you.

Hi have some questions that might be out of the ordinary.

This is my first time publishing a book and i'm not doing in the traditional way.  What I am doing is making custom graphic novels for individuals. So that means I have already sold the concept of the book to someone before I make and print it for that individual.

Which brings me to my first question. Will Lulu require me to use a ISBN? I am not marketing the book to be sold anywhere else. They are for the individual only.

And my second question. Because I am only doing maybe 1-3 prints of said book will Lulu let me do this? I'm assuming 99% of authors who publish on Lulu are reorders of the book Lulu has already made ready to print on demand. I will be changing it up all the time. Any forseen problems with this?

Thank you very much!

Paul

Comments

• 1. No. ISBNs are always optional unless you intend to use Lulu's distribution networks.

2. Yes. No foreseen problems.
  • If you want only the individual to buy copies whenever they want and no one else, you could set the project to Direct Access and give each one the appropriate link.

• Hi have some questions that might be out of the ordinary.

Not in the least, really.  Smiley Happy

This is my first time publishing a book and i'm not doing in the traditional way.

Self-publishing is not traditional. Smiley Wink

What I am doing is making custom graphic novels for individuals. So that means I have already sold the concept of the book to someone before I make and print it for that individual.

Well in one way that's partly how the self-publishing process starts. You create a file of pages on Word or something and if you use Save As PDF it looks almost like a book on your PC and you can even print it off as a proof to show people. If they are happy, then you use Lulu's wonderful Project Wizards to turn it in to a real bound book.

Which brings me to my first question. Will Lulu require me to use a ISBN? I am not marketing the book to be sold anywhere else. They are for the individual only.

No. As already suggested you can set to Direct which means anyone you give the URL to can by the book direct from Lulu. If you wish to have the book/s delivered to you then set to Private, then only you can order them.

And my second question. Because I am only doing maybe 1-3 prints of said book will Lulu let me do this?

Lulu will indeed create just one copy of a book. You can order as many or as few as you like. Even delete the project once the required number have been ordered. Or Revise it even.

I'm assuming 99% of authors who publish on Lulu are reorders of the book Lulu has already made ready to print on demand.

Seeing as Lulu not long ago had a purge deleteing long-term inactive accounts that appeared to be used just to create one book, on Private  as well perhaps, because of the server space they took up, I doubt that it's as high as 99%. But do not forget that even many who used the ISBN option may never have sold any. That's the advantage of POD. A book is only printed when an order is placed.

I will be changing it up all the time. Any forseen problems with this?

Not at all, with no ISBN. But do not forget that if set at Direct then anyone who has the URL of the previous version will also be able to get the new version. I would suggest you do each version as a new Project, unless you use the Private setting.

• Thank you all for the replies! You have been most helpful.

I have another question.

The book format i have chosen is the 6x9 full color print. Need the color for my pictures. When i downloaded the book format i see the first few pages of my book will be title of the book, copyright, dedicated to, and so forth. Are these pages mandatory on every book? Even comics, graphic novels, and picture books? My book will have a picture on one page and text on the other.

• The book format i have chosen is the 6x9 full color print. Need the color for my pictures.

Full colour printing is very expensive as is hardbacked.

When i downloaded the book format i see the first few pages of my book will be title of the book, copyright, dedicated to, and so forth. Are these pages mandatory on every book? Even comics, graphic novels, and picture books?

Only if you go for the ISBN and Dist option, otherwise no.

My book will have a picture on one page and text on the other.

The templates are possibly more complex than you need, with hidden New Sections, Page Breaks, Headers, Footers etc. For such a simple book you may as well make your own blank template with only the settings you need, possibly just margins and a Gutter and little else. It's easy to do, just use the page size setting in word, and usually the margins are there by default.

• Thank you again for the quick reply! You have been very helpful!

Thats good to know I do not need those first few pages because I am not doing an ISBN or distribution. 

I think I have a good template for bleeds and so forth. I am using a program called GIMP to layout my pages. 

I have another question. Smiley Very Happy

Do i save my pages as a JPEG and upload each individual page? One page will have an image and the other will have text.

Thanks!!

• Thats good to know I do not need those first few pages because I am not doing an ISBN or distribution. 

I think I have a good template for bleeds and so forth. I am using a program called GIMP to layout my pages.

Such progs as GIMP are really used for creating images for the content of pages. I use PaintShop Pro 5 for my art, but Word to create the file of pages.

I have another question. :smileyvery-happy:

Do i save my pages as a JPEG and upload each individual page? One page will have an image and the other will have text.

Not the pages, no. Use GIMP to create those jpgs (at 300dpi) and at the exact size and ratio to fit the pre-set Word pages between the margins. Upload one file of pages, as a docx or Save As a PDF and upload that. One file of pages really does save a lot of fiddling.

• I am happy I asked that question. I was thinking I needed to make each page individually. I will make one document and save it as a PDF and upload that. Thank you again!