Why won't my manuscript convert to EPUB?

Maybe I'm missing something but no matter what I do my file is converted to a pdf rather than epub file. Could it be because I am only distributing through the Lulu marketplace? I can't select the other options because my book isn't in English. I tried uploading my book as doc, docx and rtf file but I still end up with a pdf file.

Comments

• When you're going through the wizard make sure to click at the top where it says "make epub" and "make pdf" choose Make epub. I think it's right before you upload the file. If you're only selling on lulu that might be it too. But you do have to select make epub in the wizard.

• Hi Plat,

That's not the reason. Just tested it. No problem.

Start a new project and try again

• Thank you for pointing me in the right direction! I couldn't find the option make epub or make pdf so I assumed it was because I had the preferred language set to Dutch. When I changed it to English I could finally see the option.
  • Yes but please do note that many of the places Lulu send the ePubs to will not allow non-English books. Possibly because they read them before approving them, and they would have to pay many translators?!

• That's true however it's a limitation of Lulu's policy and not the other distributors. Both Amazon and iBookstore sell non-English books. 

I was now able to create the ePub file using the converter so I can use the ePub file to sign up with Amazon and iBookstore directly. You could get there without Lulu but I did it this way because I prefer the Lulu's ePub converter. Smiley Happy

• That's true however it's a limitation of Lulu's policy and not the other distributors. Both Amazon and iBookstore sell non-English books.

Lulu state that at least Apple will not stock non-English ones, so Lulu comply to that. There is the option to just select Amazon to be distributed to, but you may as well publish to there direct. 

I was now able to create the ePub file using the converter so I can use the ePub file to sign up with Amazon and iBookstore directly. You could get there without Lulu but I did it this way because I prefer the Lulu's ePub converter.

Amazon do not sell ePubs, BTW, and I do not think their converter will convert an ePub to mobi, which is ironic.

But is using Lulu's free tools to convert files and then not using Lulu a bit rude?  Smiley Happy

•  

Lulu state that at least Apple will not stock non-English ones, so Lulu comply to that. 

Yes they do: https://itunes.apple.com/nl/genre/ios-boeken/id6018?mt=8 The Apple bookstore is very popular with Dutch readers.

Amazon do not sell ePubs, BTW, and I do not think their converter will convert an ePub to mobi, which is ironic.

No, but they accept ePubs as content. I just uploaded mine and it works fine. Smiley Tongue

But is using Lulu's free tools to convert files and then not using Lulu a bit rude?  Smiley Happy

Nope. Not in my book it's not (pun intended). And even if it was, I am using Lulu. Read my comments.

Let me know if there is anything else you don't understand and I will be happy to explain. Woman LOL

• Lulu state that at least Apple will not stock non-English ones, so Lulu comply to that. 

Yes they do: https://itunes.apple.com/nl/genre/ios-boeken/id601​8?mt=8 The Apple bookstore is very popular with Dutch readers.

That's the Dutch site which is not where Lulu send the ePubs too. Perhaps I should have said all the English 'speaking' Apple sites?

No, but they accept ePubs as content. I just uploaded mine and it works fine. :smileytongue:

That's OK then. I upload docx. I just know that when Lulu send an ePub for placement on to Amazon it's not Amazon who do the conversion, but some major distribution company that Lulu have an account with. 

But is using Lulu's free tools to convert files and then not using Lulu a bit rude?  :smileyhappy:

Nope. Not in my book it's not (pun intended). And even if it was, I am using Lulu. Read my comments.

That's OK then, even thoiugh you state you will be uploading to Apple and Amazon direct.

Let me know if there is anything else you don't understand and I will be happy to explain

No thanks. There's no need to be rude. But I will still make the same offer as that because I am polite and nice.