Having a hard time with page numbers

Hello.

I have been trying to format my print version of my eBook and can NOT get the page numbering to work. I have everything all formatted corectly. I have the table of contents in and the pages show up in the TOC in the correct. But when I go to insert the page numbers they go all over the place. I set the page number thing begin at page 5, I have no front matter except for the introduction, and it shows up as page 7 on page 5. I have tried 20 differnt ways over the past 24 hours. If I can't get this to work this evening I will have to publish someplace else. Does anyone have any idea what i am missing? I have the pages "page break" at the right places. This is driving me crazy...can someone please help?

Thank you!

Kristen

Comments

• I had a problem with Open Office when trying to get headers and page numbers where I wanted them. It took me awhile to experiment and get them right. I don't know if you're using Open Office or Word, but believe me, I've been there. 

I do know that when I upload my ODF files for print books, the pages don't end up exactly the same way as they show in Open Office. For example, if the first line of a paragraph winds up at the very end of a page, it will be moved to the top of the next page in the PDF when I look at it. I think it has something to do with making the page look better and it's programmed to do that automatically during the conversion. Unfortunately, it can push my page numbers off slightly. Then I have to go back in and change the #s in the TOC to match it. I don't know if this helps, but it has been a pain for me at times as well. Each individual problem seems to be different oftentimes, so yours might be different than mine was. I know the frustration, but don't give up! Someone here ought to have an idea that will work. Best of luck.

•  

Kristen

What product are you using to make the print version?

If you are using Word then you must insert the page numbers before creating a TOC, you can't do it the other way round.

• I have been trying to format my print version of my eBook

Do you mean from an ePub? (I wish people would say if they mean ePub or PDF e-book because a PDF e-book is more or less already the same file as a printed book's).

and can NOT get the page numbering to work.

https://support.office.microsoft.com/en-gb/article/Add-and-format-page-numbers-eac01196-cce7-4103-ab36-68b2ee6d3f45?CorrelationId=c238f049-acd1-46f9-aba6-08241729d181&ui=en-US&rs=en-GB&ad=GB

I have everything all formatted corectly. I have the table of contents in and the pages show up in the TOC in the correct.

But when I go to insert the page numbers they go all over the place. I set the page number thing begin at page 5, I have no front matter except for the introduction,

No Title Page or Copyright page? It's wise to have at least a Copyright page anyway. You have to insert page numbers before you create a TOC or how else will the TOC tool know where what is in the TOC is?

and it shows up as page 7 on page 5.

Do you mean in the Wizard's PR PDF? It sounds as if you may not be uploading the right size of pages. It could be that you are using multiple Carriage Returns somewhere.

I have tried 20 differnt ways over the past 24 hours. If I can't get this to work this evening I will have to publish someplace else.

How will that help if the original file is incorrect?

Does anyone have any idea what i am missing? I have the pages "page break" at the right places. This is driving me crazy...can someone please help?

http://connect.lulu.com/t5/Interior-Formatting/tkb-p/interior_formatting%40tkb

Have you tried Save As a PDF and uploading that?

• I still use the templates downloaded from here. The numbers show up automatically. Except maybe using roman numerals on the first pages before the actual writing starts.