We're aware of an issue with converting some DOC, DOCX, ODT, and RTF files to EPUB through our Ebook Wizard.
We've created this Forum Thread with some workarounds and advice to assist you in publishing you ebook.

Documentary/Mystery

I apologize if I am posting out of subject... I just need this subject to be more defined, and could there be ramifications if I followed advisement of choosing Doc/Myst over Science fiction or vice/versa?

I was told by a critic that this book story should be mystery/documentary instead of science fiction. I researched and worked on it a long time. However, I was afraid of the leagality of using, as I did, the real people, their real names, their real work and places of living and being challenged... Most all are passed now. I felt I had to because the photographs, paper trails of real letters and some of the art graphics make them obvious anyway. I know, no one will ever be able to challenge, or even want to, the obvious history. I just classified it as Sci-Fi because I thought I could avoid any potential petty arguements.  I could not, or would not state for fact that all of the content was factual in the end because I had to project what some of the contributing experiences outcomes may have been.

The story is in two places of my "Spotlight"  In the book, The "O" DOME, The WILSON BROTHERS & the "O" DOME and buried in my latest book, TRILOGY: One American's Observations, Discovery, Evolution & Secrets. heron9

Comments

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

I apologize if I am posting out of subject... I just need this subject to be more defined, and could there be ramifications if I followed advisement of choosing Doc/Myst over Science fiction or vice/versa?

None whatsoever. It's just to help searchers to find it. It's a shame one cannot also use subcategories on Lulu as is possible at Amazon.

I was told by a critic that this book story should be mystery/documentary instead of science fiction.

Well you wrote it so you should know, and there's no reason it cannot be all three, see >>  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirk_Gently's_Holistic_Detective_Agency

although I doubt fiction can be classed as a documentry, in fact that would simply be called factual.

I researched and worked on it a long time. However, I was afraid of the leagality of using, as I did, the real people, their real names,

I am a bit lost now, it's either fiction or it is not.

their real work and places of living and being challenged... Most all are passed now.

That will not stop their relations taking umbrage if they feel the need.

I felt I had to because the photographs, paper trails of real letters and some of the art graphics make them obvious anyway. I know, no one will ever be able to challenge, or even want to, the obvious history. I just classified it as Sci-Fi because I thought I could avoid any potential petty arguements.

Well you can, there's no real law to say you cannot, but it is in fact deception and really not something anyone should do, and it will not protect you in the least because a search designation will not stop random people finding it and reading it. It is a bizarre thing to do.

I could not, or would not state for fact that all of the content was factual in the end because I had to project what some of the contributing experiences outcomes may have been.

I am not sure now if even you know if it's fact or fiction. But it can be fiction based on fact, with all names changed, that's not unusual, and there's always that clause seen on most Copyright pages. Open a few fictions and look for it.

The story is in two places of my "Spotlight"  In the book, The "O" DOME, The WILSON BROTHERS & the "O" DOME and buried in my latest book, TRILOGY: One American's Observations, Discovery, Evolution & Secrets. heron9

Yes, if I recall correctly I commented on it in another thread.

• heron9 wrote:

Categories and/genres of literature are strictly conveniences. Your book is whatever you say it is.

I was told by a critic that this book story should be mystery/documentary instead of science fiction.

These things are purely subjective. However, if someone is looking for a mystery and your book is on the science fiction shelf, they may miss seeing it.

PS: I have no idea what a "mystery/documentary" would be.

I researched and worked on it a long time. However, I was afraid of the leagality of using, as I did, the real people, their real names, their real work and places of living and being challenged... Most all are passed now.

That may not matter. Relatives may be able to bring suit for libel, too.

I felt I had to because the photographs, paper trails of real letters and some of the art graphics make them obvious anyway.

Are you using letter, photos and art from outside sources? Do you have permission to reproduce or quote from these things? Simply because someone is dead doesn't necessarily mean that things they wrote are in the public domain.

I know, no one will ever be able to challenge, or even want to, the obvious history. 

Possibly not...but they could challenge your use of letters or photos.

I just classified it as Sci-Fi because I thought I could avoid any potential petty arguements. 

It wouldn't matter what you called the book.

I could not, or would not state for fact that all of the content was factual in the end because I had to project what some of the contributing experiences outcomes may have been.

• Thank you all for your comments... I will not worry about it and leave it as is... I own the photographs and letters. The government documentation is well past the twenty five year mark, however, I do legally own some of the originals sent to a third party name. I own a copy of the non-disclosure agreement, but I only revealed the parties names and not the content.

The recommendation to change to Mystery/documentary came from a paid for critique service of LULU. They also recommended this story was very interesting and should be told, but it needed some organizational adjustments, a few typo corrections and a new cover. Like almost all of my writing does.                                                                                            Sometimes, I get lazy, sometimes in a hurry, but when they overlap, I get in trouble. I had to let it go because I'd been working on it since 1970. There is probably more to be found-out, but to the date I quit, it was because I had all of the information I could get. The information I did get was more than enough to convince me the story was worth telling. The original content's twist, turns and surprising revealations of facts were enough for me to logically speculate on some of the gray areas of time and experiences not supported by factual back-up materials. I did leave room for more facts to both have old recovered, new to develop and all to eventually be tracked and exposed in the future.  heron9

• heron9 wrote:

Thank you all for your comments... I own the photographs and letters. The government documentation is well past the twenty five year mark, however, I do legally own some of the originals sent to a third party name. I own a copy of the non-disclosure agreement, but I only revealed the parties names and not the content.

You may own the physcial letters and photos but that does not necessarily mean you own the copyrights. The physical object---book, letter, photo, artwork, etc.---is a different entity than the copyright to that item. For instance, when you purchase a book you do not also purchase the copyright to it. Even if someone writes a letter direclty to you, they still own the rights to the contents of the letter. Unless these things are clearly and unabiguously in the public domain or you have written permission to use them, I would tread very carefully.

The recommendation to change to Mystery/documentary came from a paid for critique service of LULU. They also recommended this story was very interesting and should be told, but it needed some organizational adjustments, a few typo corrections and a new cover.

They are absolutely right about the cover! Smiley Wink

I am not going to worry about it, but your advice is worthy to be taken. You didn't like my cover? Oh, wow, I am hurt. That is my daughter on the cover, and probably the only good thing about it. heron9

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

Thank you all for your comments... I will not worry about it and leave it as is... I own the photographs and letters.

There's a little known fact that by law you should ask permission to take photos of anything or anyone. It's not a law often used because the photos are usually not doing anyone any harm. But you will, for example, see peoples' faces blurred out in the backgrounds of news items because when asked they did not give their permission for it to be shown and they had nothing to do with the story. You see that because it is not uncommon for the media to have to wander around asking people to sign permissions to be shown. So now imagine, as Ron says, that anyone within those photos you say are yours takes a dislike to the purpose you put them to, then ...

Letters? Even though not usually copyrighted (unless it does say so, which some do with a big stamp (FYEO)) I feel sure that 75 years rule still applies, unless it's been put in to public domain by someone with the right to do so.

The government documentation is well past the twenty five year mark,

I do not know anything about that 25 year, but unless released by some government, who do not tell anyone they have, or obtained under the FOIA, some documentation does not see the light of day for 100 years (in the UK).

however, I do legally own some of the originals sent to a third party name. I own a copy of the non-disclosure agreement, but I only revealed the parties names and not the content.

There's a ND agreement involved?! That includes everything agreed not to disclose than, even names. That't the purpose of them.

The recommendation to change to Mystery/documentary came from a paid for critique service of LULU. They also recommended this story was very interesting and should be told,

Lulu's Services do not include lawyers as far as I know.

but it needed some organizational adjustments, a few typo corrections and a new cover. Like almost all of my writing does.                                             ​                                               Sometimes, I get lazy, sometimes in a hurry, but when they overlap, I get in trouble. I had to let it go because I'd been working on it since 1970. There is probably more to be found-out, but to the date I quit, it was because I had all of the information I could get. The information I did get was more than enough to convince me the story was worth telling. The original content's twist, turns and surprising revealations of facts were enough for me to logically speculate on some of the gray areas of time and experiences not supported by factual back-up materials. I did leave room for more facts to both have old recovered, new to develop and all to eventually be tracked and exposed in the future.  heron9

I am not even sure why you are now asking for this advice because you have already published have you not?

But I would have thought that if it had far-reaching revelations etc etc, some publishing company or even a newspaper would have snatched your hands off.