We're aware of an issue with converting some DOC, DOCX, ODT, and RTF files to EPUB through our Ebook Wizard.
We've created this Forum Thread with some workarounds and advice to assist you in publishing you ebook.

CONFIRMING THE UPLOADING OF MANUSCRIPT AND IMAGE ON MY 'MY FILE' SECTION OF MY LULU ACCOUNT

Hi! I recently uploaded the manuscript and cover image for my eBook on my 'my file' section of my Lulu account, I want to know how i will be assured if the Lulu experts actually have seen and received them. I am affraid that i might have made mistakes during uploading process in the way that may prevent the Lulu experts from seeing and hence receive my uploads. Thanx in advance

Comments

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

I would assume you will find out by asking them?

• Was this for a job they are doing or did you do this privately on your own? If on your own then there comes at the end a page that says "you're published" If it's for a job lulu is helping I'd say that you should recieve an email from them. If not in a week I'd contact support and see how it turned out. If it's not right I'm sure they will let you know.

• Hello Daniel14

Go to My Projects > My Files

If you see the files listed on that page, then the files will be available to the service providers.

If there is a problem, they will contact you.

• Thank you for your info, another more question please! What if during uploading the manuscript i deleted it and then uploaded again, it shows that the ISBN has changed. Will there be problems for the previously deleted ISBN? will Lulu mind if i delete and upload the same manuscript several times in the way that causes several ISBN being deleted as well? 

• Did you delete the project or the manuscript?

If you deleted the project, then the ISBN cannot be reused.

If you deleted the manuscript from the project or from the My Files area, then the ISBN will remain usable.

• I didn't know that LULU ever looked at one's files unless asked. I always thought you took your chances on loading them and completing, to your own satisfaction, and then consenting them to go for a proof printing.

In the past this has been my Waterloo. I do not think of all the books I've published that, I have not had to re-work the files after reading the proof copy. Sometimes I did not get it starightened out for three or four efforts. It really does pay, or save you cost, to be very detailed in your re-reads, proofing and editing before uploading. Maybe it is the electronic screen verses the tactile paper page, but I can always more easily catch unwanted copy on the paper page compaired to reading it on the screen.                       Is that just me?

You do know once you've uploaded your files, you can download them to re-proof before sending them on to be printed in a proof book. I have a bad habbit of loading my book files one page at a time. Sometimes that is good because, instead of having to download the whole book in PDF and searching for what you want to correct, you can jut download the individual page it is on. Just be careful when you re-load it that you get it in the proper sequence. It will initially load at the bottom of the file, and if it was page three out of 300...  heron9

I didn't know that LULU ever looked at one's files unless asked.

From what you said in your first posting, it sounded as if you had paid Lulu for one of their book creation Services, that is what I meant by ask them, the Lulu staff who do those paid for Services. But now I think that's not what you mean.

I always thought you took your chances on loading them and completing, to your own satisfaction, and then consenting them to go for a proof printing.

No. Unless you pay Lulu to do it then it's DIY via the Project Wizards and you upload your pre-prepared files to one of those.

In the past this has been my Waterloo. I do not think of all the books I've published that, I have not had to re-work the files after reading the proof copy. Sometimes I did not get it starightened out for three or four efforts. It really does pay, or save you cost, to be very detailed in your re-reads, proofing and editing before uploading. Maybe it is the electronic screen verses the tactile paper page, but I can always more easily catch unwanted copy on the paper page compaired to reading it on the screen.                       Is that just me?

No it's common, but are you now saying that you are using a Project Wizard? But what you describe, it's best to do that set on Private, and once happy, then set it to General and get an ISBN. But it also sounds as if you have also done that!

You do know once you've uploaded your files, you can download them to re-proof before sending them on to be printed in a proof book.

Indeed, but oddly you are now telling us rather than asking us. You are a puzzle. But you do not need to download them again because the original files/s remain on your PC. Only a copy uploads.

I have a bad habbit of loading my book files one page at a time. Sometimes that is good because, instead of having to download the whole book in PDF and searching for what you want to correct, you can jut download the individual page it is on.

But what is the difference? You have to proofread the whole book anyway, and the Project Wizard creates one PR PDF. It's best to upload one file, not 100s.

Just be careful when you re-load it that you get it in the proper sequence. It will initially load at the bottom of the file, and if it was page three out of 300...  heron9

Don't project Wizards have a limit of 100 files? But if you just create one file you do not have to worry about uploading/compiling them in to the right order. In one file the will already be in the right order, and it's far easier for the page numbers to be right also, not to mention Gutters etc.

PS: I hope you get other people to read over your pages also.

• Thank you Kevin.... Of course you are correct in your advice. It is just that once and old person like myself develops a way to work, we kind-of get stuck into what we are comfortable with. It doesn't make it right, but when I first started out here several years ago, and being so ignorant of the processes, I used to scan everything, text, graphics and text and graphic pages, over into jpgs, make sure they were embeded and up-load them one page at a time. It worked well enough. When I first constructed a web-site, I had no idea of ftp, if it even existed then. I would construct each page on the provider's web-site. I would create my text copy in their "work" window and paste my graphics there using my own html... I don't want to say how many years ago that was, but I don't think it can be done that way any more...?  If the progress keeps expanding so swiftly, I think I'll have to go back to school... for the fith time. Again, Thanks for your words kevin...  heron9

Thank you Kevin.... Of course you are correct in your advice. It is just that once and old person like myself develops a way to work, we kind-of get stuck into what we are comfortable with.

You are not the only aged person using Lulu, and I was aged when I started to use Lulu. The whole of life is a learning curve.  Smiley Happy

It doesn't make it right, but when I first started out here several years ago, and being so ignorant of the processes, I used to scan everything, text, graphics and text and graphic pages, over into jpgs, make sure they were embeded and up-load them one page at a time. It worked well enough.

It can do yes, but as you say, it does not make it right, or in fact any easier, especially scanning text. How did you create your text? I use Word, in to which you can also paste images, all as one file, and even turn that docx in to a PDF via Word.

When I first constructed a web-site, I had no idea of ftp, if it even existed then.

I also have a website, and my first one was up around 15 years ago (since superseded). I had no need of FTP (or even HTML).

I would construct each page on the provider's web-site. I would create my text copy in their "work" window and paste my graphics there using my own html... I don't want to say how many years ago that was, but I don't think it can be done that way any more...?

Hrmm. Online web-building tools ... yes they still exist, 10000s of them now, but even the older ones I do not recall having to know or use HTML on them. They are WYSIWYG. I use Homestead and their dedicated off-line site builder (not their on line one). Click my banner and scroll down to "Do you want a website ... ) It's not free though.

If the progress keeps expanding so swiftly, I think I'll have to go back to school... for the fith time. Again, Thanks for your words kevin...  heron9

If your files equals Lulu's Wizards' max one-file upload size (which is very large) you need to examine why your files are so large.  I have an A4 book with around 100 pages, most with photos on, and the PDF is 13mb and the docx is 42mb. Granted not in colour, but colour should not increase the size to go over Lulu's max upload limit. The mb size as individual files would total more than those above numbers though.