We're aware of an issue with converting some DOC, DOCX, ODT, and RTF files to EPUB through our Ebook Wizard.
We've created this Forum Thread with some workarounds and advice to assist you in publishing you ebook.

Book pricing

My best book is 102 and priced at under $13. I have found similar books on here same number of pages but priced at over $25. Not manuals either but paperbacks. What about kindles what should pricing be here you think? I think that these are really overpriced. I know of one person who wondered why his book didn't sell and it's priced at $27 for an 82 page book.

Comments

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

Go with the flow I suppose, where even famous writers are selling e-books for as little as 99 cents. I have always said about e-books that they cost nothing to print or to ship, so those who try to sell an e-book for the same price as a printed one are just robbing people.

• kevinlomas wrote:

Go with the flow I suppose, where even famous writers are selling e-books for as little as 99 cents. I have always said about e-books that they cost nothing to print or to ship, so those who try to sell an e-book for the same price as a printed one are just robbing people.

I agree. But in one selfish way I welcome the robbery. The one advantage we have over traditionally published writers is the ability to undercut them (and make more money). Once the publisher and agent and everyone else have had their cut, a traditionally published writer can expect to earn something like 50p on a £6 book. We can charge a fraction of that and make more per book at the same time as encouraging sales. My advice would be to take advantage of it.

• Maybe, it is because it is with full color interior pages...?  It is cheaper to get it printed in China. Almost all of the children's books I find in specialized retail stores, novelty and gift shops, like in Zoo's etcetera, are all printed in China. To have any book;'s here interior pages printed in color become cost prohibitive... Take my The BUTTERFLY, The BEE & The SPIDER for instance. In color, it is around $28.00, but in black & white it is only $9.35... Check them out for yourself at www.cedararts.com (on LULU).

I can't sell either one.  heron9 

• oncewasoncewas Librarian

What I notice is that I sell more books costing more than $0.99 that I do books costing $0.99

I agree. But in one selfish way I welcome the robbery. The one advantage we have over traditionally published writers is the ability to undercut them (and make more money). Once the publisher and agent and everyone else have had their cut, a traditionally published writer can expect to earn something like 50p on a £6 book. We can charge a fraction of that and make more per book at the same time as encouraging sales. My advice would be to take advantage of it.

I assume you mean mass-printed books who have the cost advantage of being mass-printed. It's almost impossible for us to compete with publishers who can print each book for a few cents but still charge, ie, $9 for them. Most average POD books cost the latter just to print. Royalties from major publishing houses per book are far far less than 50p.

They also have the advantage of vast marketing teams with money behind them. It's all a matter of scale I suppose. They can spread all their costs over 10,000s of sales due to their marketing efforts. The same applies to e-books I suppose, it gives people a choice, but does not really cost the major publishers anything extra.

However. there's now a few well-known writers, who used to have to go the major publishing house way, cutting them out and self-publishing e-books instead. Handy when you have 10000s of eager fans already on tap.

You have to remember when Amazon launched Kindle and publishers marked Kindle books at the same price as printed books. The buying public and the news media went nuts about being ripped off. People are not stupid. In fact many of them think, seeing as an e-book is just a file in some server, that it costs nothing at all so should be free.

Maybe, it is because it is with full color interior pages...?

Full colour is very expensive, especially via POD, but far less so if mass-printed on traditional machines.

It is cheaper to get it printed in China.

Everything is cheaper to produce in China and always has been because they don't get paid much (and they have no green-house gas controls to pay for). There's one major publishing house who print millions of books a year and they have had the work done in China for as long as I can remember. There's little advantage though unless one does order millions because shipping from China still has to be paid. Lulu without doubt do not use printers in China.  Smiley Happy

Almost all of the children's books I find in specialized retail stores, novelty and gift shops, like in Zoo's etcetera, are all printed in China.

Indeed. You will find that many of them are published by companies who belong to the one I mentioned above. There's a shop not far from me who is able to sell large hard-backed full-colour books with 100s of pages, RRP, say £35, for £5, and everyone still makes a profit. (Via POD they would possibly cost a few £100 just to print!)

To have any book;'s here interior pages printed in color become cost prohibitive... Take my The BUTTERFLY, The BEE & The SPIDER for instance. In color, it is around $28.00, but in black & white it is only $9.35...

Indeed, but using your own example of having it done cheaply, instead of using POD, why do you not order a few million from China  Smiley Happy

Check them out for yourself at www.cedararts.com (on LULU).

I can't sell either one.  heron9 

BTW: I am looking at one of your books and the layout could be adjusted.

You have a Title Page, so there's no need to repeat it on the Copyright Page.

Thankyous should go on a page after the Copyright Page.

There's no need to mention Lulu or their address. You are the publisher.

There should be no page numbers on the Frontmatter.

Some text needs to be Justified.

Other than that not a bad book, if a bit expensive. Don't forget that when they get placed on place like Amazon, they add their profits to it.

• kevinlomas wrote:

I assume you mean mass-printed books who have the cost advantage of being mass-printed. It's almost impossible for us to compete with publishers who can print each book for a few cents but still charge, ie, $9 for them. Most average POD books cost the latter just to print. Royalties from major publishing houses per book are far far less than 50p.

They also have the advantage of vast marketing teams with money behind them. It's all a matter of scale I suppose. They can spread all their costs over 10,000s of sales due to their marketing efforts. The same applies to e-books I suppose, it gives people a choice, but does not really cost the major publishers anything extra.

However. there's now a few well-known writers, who used to have to go the major publishing house way, cutting them out and self-publishing e-books instead. Handy when you have 10000s of eager fans already on tap.

You have to remember when Amazon launched Kindle and publishers marked Kindle books at the same price as printed books. The buying public and the news media went nuts about being ripped off. People are not stupid. In fact many of them think, seeing as an e-book is just a file in some server, that it costs nothing at all so should be free.

To clarify, I was referring solely to e-books. I agree we can't undercut them on physical book prices.

The '50p per book' figure I took from a couple of traditionally published friends of mine, both of whom receive roughly that amount (depending on a variety of factors), or at least they did a couple of years ago, the last time we discussed it.

To clarify, I was referring solely to e-books. I agree we can't undercut them on physical book prices.

I bet it would help id Lulu bought their own printing machines  Smiley Very Happy

The '50p per book' figure I took from a couple of traditionally published friends of mine, both of whom receive roughly that amount (depending on a variety of factors), or at least they did a couple of years ago, the last time we discussed it.

They are very fortunate, but it's ridiculously complex and one always recommends a lawyer and/or agent to sort it out.

http://www.writersservices.com/resources/advances-royalties-inside-publishing

Us who DIY are also fortunate really because we do not have all the wages to pay the 100s who are often involved in creating a book of any sort, before it even gets as far as a printers or on sale via some server. We just have us. So if you you think about it, the big publishing houses still have those to pay when creating an e-book, but all the same, they do not have the extra huge cost of having 10000s of books printed and distributed (and possibly expecting some Returns, which I think they call Remainders, ot that may mean all the ones they have printed, just in case.) So for them to try to charge print price for an e-book is still a rip off, but we don't have their overheads, so there's no reason we cannot sell our e-books for peanuts and undercut them. Those who insist that "but my book is worth it because ... ) need to learn some economics.   Smiley Happy

• Sorry if not the exact topic but can somebody tell me why the selling price of my book appears to have been reduced by someone?

Who knows? Currency fluctuations? Lulu price changes? But do you mean on Lulu or elsewhere?

• tonydneil wrote:

Sorry if not the exact topic but can somebody tell me why the selling price of my book appears to have been reduced by someone?

If you mean on Amazon then that's normal. Amazon regularly change the price of books using some sort of algorithm that nobody understands, to try to improve sales. It's nothing to worry about - you'll receive the same royalties per book regardless of the price that it sells at.