We're aware of an issue with converting some DOC, DOCX, ODT, and RTF files to EPUB through our Ebook Wizard.
We've created this Forum Thread with some workarounds and advice to assist you in publishing you ebook.

photos in ebook

I am first time publishing with Lulu.  It has not been an entirely happy experience.  What I am seeing in the final verson before publishing our ebook is not what I understood it would be.  And Lulu staff are not answering my questions.  Hence, posting to this forum.

Our ebook includes photos (300dpi, 4000x6000, ~20mb.)  Different size photos were requested (full page, 1/2, 1/4, etc), which is not what happened.  Some are at the right size, but most are not, with a lot of them being tiny thumbnails.  Worst than that though is that all, especially when zoomed, are not sharp but blurred and washed out.

Is this just the way ebooks are or is this something that Lulu should fix before publishing?

Thank you for your advice.

Comments

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

I am first time publishing with Lulu.  It has not been an entirely happy experience.  What I am seeing in the final verson before publishing our ebook is not what I understood it would be.  And Lulu staff are not answering my questions.  Hence, posting to this forum.

First off. Did you pay Lulu to do it? If so then should they not fix it? If not then you have to fix it.

Our ebook includes photos (300dpi, 4000x6000, ~20mb.)

Are we talking about an ePub or a PDF because they sound far to large and too high a DPI for an ePub. This is what Lulu's guide says on the subject >>   

High-Quality Images & Cover Art

All images must be in three color RGB (red, green, blue) format. Four-color CMYK (cyan, magenta, yellow, key black) images are NOT accepted.

During file conversion, all images will be reformatted to display in line with text above and below the image. Each individual image cannot exceed 250 KB and image dimensions cannot exceed 2 million pixels. During conversion, images exceeding 2 million pixels will be resized to meet this requirement, including your marketing image. For best results, we recommend you verify all images and resize them as necessary, using your favorite image editing software, prior to uploading your file for conversion to EPUB format.

Each of your images are 24,000,000 pixels.

Different size photos were requested (full page, 1/2, 1/4, etc), which is not what happened.

Epubs do not actually have pages as such.

Some are at the right size, but most are not, with a lot of them being tiny thumbnails.  Worst than that though is that all, especially when zoomed, are not sharp but blurred and washed out.

Are you viewing the ePub? How far are you trying to zoom in? ePubs are low definition so that they can be viewed on cellphones. I am just looking at one of my ePub files, and granted there are no images in it, but a 350 'page' novel is just 450kbs.

Is this just the way ebooks are or is this something that Lulu should fix before publishing?

Not if set up as they should be, and you do not try to zoom in to far, and I would expect that Lulu will only fix it if you pay them to.

If you take a look at this Preview (which is actually for a Kindle) you will note that when it's zoomed in the photos do not change size, just the text does, in fact the photos seem to get smaller to make room for the text. 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Digital-Photography-Book-Part-2nd-ebook/dp/B00CITOS4A/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1421633247&sr=1-3#reader_B00CITOS4A

• Hello AuthorAuthor

Lulu Support works M-F from 8:00-5:00.  I am sure that once the team is in the office today, someone will pick your case and have a look at your file.

Until then keep in mind that blurry images are one of the most common rejection reasons from our retail distribution partners.

Images require a delicate balancing act since your image must have a resolution high enough to be clear and crisp, but not so high that it is too large. Try to keep the resolution on your images between 96 - 150 DPI. You will also want to keep your image size around 500 x 500 pixels or less. You can adjust image resolution and DPI in any image-editing program.

• Thank you.

I am looking at your answer in detail.  Will respond when finished.

Thanks.

• Thank you as well Glenn_Lulu.  I am checking our submission against the information you provided.

• kevinlomas wrote:

First off. Did you pay Lulu to do it? If so then should they not fix it? If not then you have to fix it.

Yes, we paid Lulu to do it with a complete publishing package.  Yes, they should fix it.  And in fact sometimes they do, sometimes not.  I haven't been able to see the pattern on what they will/won't do.

Our ebook includes photos (300dpi, 4000x6000, ~20mb.)

Are we talking about an ePub or a PDF because they sound far to large and too high a DPI for an ePub. This is what Lulu's guide says on the subject >>   

ePub, PDF and Mobi.  Lulu specifically asked for 300dpi, saying it was the minimal acceptable.  As far as the other measurements, they didn't mention any limitation either before or after receiving the files.

High-Quality Images & Cover Art

All images must be in three color RGB (red, green, blue) format. Four-color CMYK (cyan, magenta, yellow, key black) images are NOT accepted.

During file conversion, all images will be reformatted to display in line with text above and below the image. Each individual image cannot exceed 250 KB and image dimensions cannot exceed 2 million pixels. During conversion, images exceeding 2 million pixels will be resized to meet this requirement, including your marketing image. For best results, we recommend you verify all images and resize them as necessary, using your favorite image editing software, prior to uploading your file for conversion to EPUB format.

Each of your images are 24,000,000 pixels.

Different size photos were requested (full page, 1/2, 1/4, etc), which is not what happened.

Epubs do not actually have pages as such.

This is the terminology Lulu uses.

Some are at the right size, but most are not, with a lot of them being tiny thumbnails.  Worst than that though is that all, especially when zoomed, are not sharp but blurred and washed out.

Are you viewing the ePub?

I am viewing ePub, Mobi and PDF.  Even the photos in PDF are not good.  It is like photos were resized to small thumbnails then enlarged. 

How far are you trying to zoom in?

I am zooming in one mouse click.  Lulu did'n mention this. 

ePubs are low definition so that they can be viewed on cellphones. I am just looking at one of my ePub files, and granted there are no images in it, but a 350 'page' novel is just 450kbs.

They knew that our book had lots of photos, so it would've been nice if the salesman would've discussed this when we told him what we wanted to do and what we expected (respecting the fact that he is a salesman wanting to make a sale, nonetheless there is an obligation I think.)  Because it seems from what you say that ebooks do ASCII text files best and anything more than that is problematic.  At least I know that now.  Thank you.

Not if set up as they should be, and you do not try to zoom in to far, and I would expect that Lulu will only fix it if you pay them to.

We paid them with a full publishing package.  However Lulu is such a compartmentalized organization and because the farm out everything, I'm not so sure that ethey have enough of a handle on their processes and product that would allow them to fix it.  Time will tell, thought, because we are working with them now to fix ... we'll see what they come up with in the next few days.

If you take a look at this Preview (which is actually for a Kindle) you will note that when it's zoomed in the photos do not change size, just the text does, in fact the photos seem to get smaller to make room for the text. 

Looked at your link, and if our photos came out that nice I would be happy.  But they do not.  And the quality they were given is good ... I have had poster size prints made of some and they are tack sharp with vibrant colors.  But now that I know it is possible I'll push a bit harder for quality.  Thank you.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Digital-Photography-Book-Part-2nd-ebook/dp/B00CITOS4A/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1421633247&sr=1-3#reader_B00CITOS4A

Again, thank you for your response.

• Glenn_Lulu wrote:

Hello AuthorAuthor

Lulu Support works M-F from 8:00-5:00.  I am sure that once the team is in the office today, someone will pick your case and have a look at your file.

Yes, we have done that several times.  And while we have had individual successes, generally it doesn't work.

Until then keep in mind that blurry images are one of the most common rejection reasons from our retail distribution partners.

Yes, and this is exactly our concern.  Which makes even more surprising that Lulu would publish such low quality knowing that it may be rejected for that very reason.

Images require a delicate balancing act since your image must have a resolution high enough to be clear and crisp, but not so high that it is too large. Try to keep the resolution on your images between 96 - 150 DPI. You will also want to keep your image size around 500 x 500 pixels or less. You can adjust image resolution and DPI in any image-editing program.

Lulu specifically asked for 300DPI, they also didn't mention any preferred image size.

From what you're saying, then, it seems that a book of photos could never be an ebook.  That ebooks are more suited to straight text.  Again, no one including the salesman who sold us this, ever mentioned this limitation.

But I guess I don't understand.  We subscribe to magazines and newspapers and the photos in there look great:  good color, sharp as a tack, large ... why don't they have that limitation then?

Thank you.