Spotlight. Is it really worth it?

When I log into Lulu, as if I was a random member of the public, I find it near impossible to find anyone's spotlight. Am I meant to? I know that if I key in... Lulu.com/spotlight/thenname ... I get the spotlight, but the name is usually different to the author's name. Any good advice out there?

Comments

• I've actually thought the same thing. But if you notice if you are looking at a particular book there will be a link that says "see authors storefront." This allows someone who is interested to see other books that this person has written. Otherwise I've not seen much use for it. But I do add the link to google engines and on youtube just in case.

• DysonLogosDysonLogos Bibliophile

ChrisHaighUK wrote:

When I log into Lulu, as if I was a random member of the public, I find it near impossible to find anyone's spotlight. Am I meant to? I know that if I key in... Lulu.com/spotlight/thenname ... I get the spotlight, but the name is usually different to the author's name. Any good advice out there?

I find the spotlight indispensable. Not because it can be "found" easily from within Lulu, but because it is easy to link to from outside Lulu. You aren't going to get many sales from random shoppers - the vast majority of your sales as a DIY self-publisher are going to be because you promoted the product and people followed your promotion to the product here. Instead of making my links directly to the book I'm promoting, I now link to my spotlight so people can see the other books I've released as well as the different options (hardcover vs softcover).

• oncewasoncewas Librarian

Dyson is correct. The spotlight is useful as a landing page if you have taken steps to try and drive traffic to it otherwise it is a bit like finding a needle in a haystack; you will have much more luck with someone on Kindle discovering your books by chance than someone discovering your spotlight page.

It does no harm to have a spotlight page and if someone does land on it, whether by design or chance, they can easily see what other books you have available.