A little bit of clarification with the ePub

Well I've read as many forums as I can and I apologize if there's one out there that already answers some of these questions as my intention is not to spam but here goes;

I'm a student in a multimedia program and part of my big project for my final year is creating/marketing a self-published book. One of the things I was required to make was my own ePub but from what I understand after reading some threads on here it appears it may be easier to just send in a Word document. Is there a specific way this word document should be set up in terms of spacing, chapter breaks ect.? 

I understand Heading 1 should be used for the title, Heading 2 for chapters and 3 for subheadings within the chapter.

Also the book is meant to have some maps (fantasy type stuff) in it right after the dedication page I have set up is there anything special I would need to do with those?

Thank you in advance for any help!

Comments

• Well I've read as many forums as I can and I apologize if there's one out there that already answers some of these questions as my intention is not to spam but here goes;

You should have come here firstSmiley Happy

I'm a student in a multimedia program and part of my big project for my final year is creating/marketing a self-published book. One of the things I was required to make was my own ePub but from what I understand after reading some threads on here it appears it may be easier to just send in a Word document.

Docx are all I create and upload to Lulu's ePub Project Wizards, and they are remarkably simple to create.

Is there a specific way this word document should be set up in terms of spacing, chapter breaks ect.?

Page size does not matter for a start. I use the same spacing for my files for ePub as I do for my printed books. 'Single'. In fact I use the same Paragraph settings for both. 'Normal' .Margin sizes also do not matter and there are also no Headers or Footers. Font size does not matter also. The Heading Styles mark chapter breaks (Page Break).

I understand Heading 1 should be used for the title, Heading 2 for chapters and 3 for subheadings within the chapter.

All I use is Heading Style 1. H 2 is used for subheadings and H 3 is used for sub-subheadings. That's how I understand it anyway and it seems to work.

Also the book is meant to have some maps (fantasy type stuff) in it right after the dedication page I have set up is there anything special I would need to do with those?

The rules for how you treat pictures in a docx for use for an ePub here are very specific.  It's best to digest this >>

http://connect.lulu.com/t5/eBook-Formatting-Publishing/EPUB-Conversion-Prepare-Your-Manuscript-for-eBook-Conversion/ta-p/206671

• Thank you so much for the responses. Smiley Happy

I'm pulling this directly from the article:

"During file conversion, all images will be reformatted to display in line with text above and below the image. Each individual image cannot exceed 250 KB and image dimensions cannot exceed 2 million pixels. During conversion, images exceeding 2 million pixels will be resized to meet this requirement, including your marketing image. For best results, we recommend you verify all images and resize them as necessary, using your favorite image editing software, prior to uploading your file for conversion to EPUB format.

TIP:   The number of pixels contained within an image is calculated by multiplying the pixel width and height dimensions. For example an 8.5 x 11 inch image has the following dimensions in pixels:  612 x 792. When multiplied together, this image contains 484,704 pixels."

What I'm reading from this is if I would like an image to be the size of one page the dimensions need to be 612 x 792 correct? Do I just add that into the docx where I would like it placed?

• The 612x792 pixel dimension is an example for calculating how many pixels are in an image. While this is the minimum size for your ebook cover, it has nothing to do with the size of images you include in your text.

I would recommend that you keep your pictures a bit smaller than the typical eReader screen. I usually try not to exceed 4 inches in width and 6 inches in height.  Also, if your images are maps, remember that only one "page" at a time is displayed on the eReader. So, if the map is intended to display across two pages, it will be broken in half when viewed on an eReader.

• TIP:   The number of pixels contained within an image is calculated by multiplying the pixel width and height dimensions. For example an 8.5 x 11 inch image has the following dimensions in pixels:  612 x 792. When multiplied together, this image contains 484,704 pixels."

That's not exactly correct. It depends on DPI. For example that size at 600dpi is 5100 x 6600. At 300dpi it's 2550 x 3300, and so on.