Validated Epub contains errors

I have created the epub using Sigil. The epub passed validation using http://validator.idpf.org/, Epubchecker 3.0.1 and Flightcrew.

When I uploaded the file to Lulu, the following errors appears:

• The table of contents contains one or more links without text. (the iBookstore and Barnes & Noble)
  • Contains invalid publication date XML. (Barnes & Noble)
  • Contains invalid publisher XML. (Barnes & Noble)

How do I fix these errors?

Avis

Comments

• Epubs created using outside sources are usually invalid for Lulu. Your best bet is to upload a Word document to Lulu, download the epub they provide, edit that in Sigil, generate TOC from Headings (very important at regular intervals during revisions), and reupload revised epub to Lulu.

• I started to suggest that but decided to leave formatting to those better qualified. Using Word and making the headings 1, has passed all of my ebooks but one where I forgot to make the title heading one.

• I only ever create and uploaded docx for conversion to ePub by Lulu's Wizards. They are simple file types to create and as long as you follow Lulu's guide to the letter they always work.

In a nutshell. Let Lulu's Wizard do all the hard work.  Smiley Happy

• Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I fixed the problem. I added the publishing date and the publisher and made changes to the TOC file.

• How to clear this Error

ERROR: IOException: Unresolved external XML entity: 'http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd' in OEBPS/chapter3.html
    ERROR: Unable to locate element with id 'sec13' in OEBPS/toc.ncx
    ERROR: Unable to locate element with id 'sec14' in OEBPS/toc.ncx

• It can be way more fun (and far more interesting) to create your own ePub, rather than any canned converter. The errors you mentioned aren't validation issues, so it's too bad you're having trouble.

To solve the problem, your eBook needs "metadata," which is info about your book embedded inside it. To create this using Sigil, go to "Tools" -> "Meta Editor…" and enter a publication date (current date will do) and your "publisher" name (which can be anything.)

To fix your TOC issue, you'll have to find where there's a hyperlink in your TOC that isn't wrapped around some text. For example, you created a link then deleted the text—mostly, leaving just a space or even nothing at all, but the link is still floating there. If hyperlinks don't show in your view, you can also just run your cursor over your TOC in the eBook and see where the cursor turns to a "clicker finger". If it happens somewhere random, you've found your hidden link.

• It can be way more fun (and far more interesting) to create your own ePub, rather than any canned converter.

Well if you are in to that sort of thing that may be, just like creating a website using pure HTML when there's no need to.  Smiley Happy

For ePub creation at Lulu I just load up docxs following Lulu's ePub guide, and have no trouble at all.

• Gosh, I'm sorry if I accidentally compared a custom ePub design to hand-coding HTML, Kevin. Using powerful ePub design tools doesn't have to involve hand-coding anything, any more than a quality web page requires line-by-line typing. I'm just saying that, while simple to do, the "upload a Word doc and have an auto-converter make your book" plan is very limited. The ePubs that really stand out usually require more control than that.

Maggie certainly knows more than I do about the inner workings of Lulu, but her assertion that "ePubs made outside of Lulu are usually invalid" is surprising. Lulu is one of our preferred distributors for books we design for our authors, and we've never had a book rejected. Lulu occasionally has some odd requirements outside of the ePub standard (or in conflict with it) but there's nothing uniquely challenging about using Lulu to sell a customized ePub.

• Gosh, I'm sorry if I accidentally compared a custom ePub design to hand-coding HTML, Kevin. Using powerful ePub design tools doesn't have to involve hand-coding anything, any more than a quality web page requires line-by-line typing. I'm just saying that, while simple to do, the "upload a Word doc and have an auto-converter make your book" plan is very limited. The ePubs that really stand out usually require more control than that.

It was just an example, and I am sure that if you totally hand-create an ePub it does contain HTML, or XHTML. The thing is, that if one uses Lulu to publish an ePub one has to follow Lulu's specifications, which are mostly for docx. It's remarkable how many people upload a pre-made ePub which Lulu's Wizard does not like, but so few docx are spat out by the converter as faulty.

To really stand out you need ePub 3 which I don't think Lulu supports yet. Smiley Happy

What is often a shame is that Lulu's system often mails out conversion problems expecting everyone to know what an ePub consists of even though most people only load up a docx!

Maggie certainly knows more than I do about the inner workings of Lulu, but her assertion that "ePubs made outside of Lulu are usually invalid" is surprising.

Yes Maggie is good, but it's not surprising about Lulu really because Lulu's ePub converter is unique to Lulu and most of the advice giving here on how to create a file for it is to do with docx. But also, there's apparently dozens of different types of ePubs because the IDPF mess around with it all the time even between full versions, so it's no wonder Lulu's convertor can get confused.

Lulu is one of our preferred distributors for books we design for our authors, and we've never had a book rejected. Lulu occasionally has some odd requirements outside of the ePub standard (or in conflict with it) but there's nothing uniquely challenging about using Lulu to sell a customized ePub.

It no longer challenges me because I only upload docx to it. One thing I have noticed in the past is that an error can chuck up many others that do not really exist, so it's not easy to work out what Lulu's error emails mean. I have in fact in the past simply put the same file through again with no changes and it has passed. Smiley Frustrated