On the Cusp of An Ephinany re Book Covers

Mmmmm… I think I might be about to change my mind on book covers.

I recently saw a 4500 word ebook (about 12 pages) for sale at $ 2.99 and it had a pretty decent sales rank (just under 50 000 in a bookstore which has 5 million books is not bad!)

$2.99 for such a slim little volume of fiction is pretty expensive, no matter how wonderful it might be. What it did have going for it was a very catchy cover.

If people really are so gullible then I guess I'm going to have to learn to go with the flow.

Comments

• Sales will triple if you have smashing covers. Test it and let us know.

A citizen of the world.

• Maggie wrote:

Sales will triple if you have smashing covers. Test it and let us know.

Yup! Smiley Happy

But who wrote it? That's just as important, as is the marketing clout put behind selling it.

Do you have a link to it please?

• danielblue wrote:

Mmmmm… I think I might be about to change my mind on book covers.

I recently saw a 4500 word ebook (about 12 pages) for sale at $ 2.99 and it had a pretty decent sales rank (just under 50 000 in a bookstore which has 5 million books is not bad!)

$2.99 for such a slim little volume of fiction is pretty expensive, no matter how wonderful it might be. What it did have going for it was a very catchy cover.

If people really are so gullible then I guess I'm going to have to learn to go with the flow.

I don't think it's gullibility. Sometimes I think you can judge a book by its cover.

• oncewasoncewas Librarian

I still love the serendipity of discovering a wonderful book with a wonky cover.

I am sure there must be many who have been lured in by a brilliant cover (there are loads of people selling covers on fiverr now) only to fall prey to the usual pitfalls of self publishing: poor grammar and spelling and even worse editing.

But, as the old saying goes, if you can't beat them then it is time to fleece the sheep.

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

Indeed Dan. It's that old saying "you cannot judge a book ..."  which is even more true with the glut of self-published books now around. That can of course work both ways. Rubbish cover, good layout with good story, and vice versa.

Possibly, and I say this as a self-publisher, hopefully one can trust well-known publishing companies and well-known writers. But I have to say, the covers of some main-stream published books are dreadful, if not just stock generic  Smiley Happy

Interestingly, the big guys often design a totally different cover for each country of publication.

One thing that always puzzled me with the covers of one top selling series. The Harry Potter covers never changed to tie in with the films. It was a bit annoying that the Harry in the films did not have the same colour of eyes.  Smiley Very Happy