World sales

Just found it interesting that I had sales to S. Africa, France, U.K. this time. Someone actually bought a hardback edition of my first book. Awesome. Average monthly sales but I'm seeing which are selling the most and may revise them to make them better or write simular ones. Hope everyone else did well. Also just curious, I have one book that sales for 99 cents on Amazon and I make 39 cents. It doesn't sell well but do you think I could make it free and use it to advertise my other books?

Comments

• HULSEYHULSEY UK Creator

Personally, I would not hesitate to urge you to offer the book free. I did so with Blood Money, some four or five months ago and have had around seven thousand downloads. The sales of my other novels increased rapidly, but this may be due to my marketing. I still however do not understand why some of my printed books are selling and generating no income, as I have set a price for a small income. They tend to fluctuate. One day they may generate an income, and other days not. They all seem to be books sold in the US, and I am from the UK. I understand I am deducted US tax, but this has nothing to do with the zero income of some paperbacks. I do keep my paerbacks at a low cost to encourage sales. Anyway, I've contacted the admins and they say their accounting deepartment are looking into it. I have a feeling it has something to do with exchange rates. Anyone else having a similar problem? 

• I wouldn't make it free. People will write reviews stating that for a free book, not bad, or what a great free download. Then in the future if you want to attach a price to it, those people who will have to pay will feel jipped.

A citizen of the world.

• oncewasoncewas Bibliophile

Shadowmonkey

Congratulations on selling a hardcover book! I find it amazing that anyone would order a hard cover book through a print on demand channel.

When it comes to free books I would suggest that if you make the book free you keep it free permanently. That way no one can complain. On the other hand Kindle readers are used to books being made free temporarily because if you enrol in KDP Select you can make your book free of charge for 3 days every 90 day cycle.

I had a book which I made free and it was getting a lot of downloads so decided to charge for it and guess what… the downloads dried up instantly. Since then I've sold a few but really nothing to write home about.

It would seem that there are some people who just want stuff free and if isn't free they will not buy it. I am also surprised that the stuff I sell for $ 0.99 doesn't seem to do as well as pricier stuff. I know when I am looking to buy books and I see something that vaguely interests me at $ 0.99 I just go ahead and buy it without hesitation and I was hoping it worked this way too with other people.

I have had close on 5000 downloads. If only I could translate that into sales! Perhaps Hulsey's additional sales were down to marketing rather than the free downloads.

Having said that, if you are not making many sales on the $0.99 book it might be worth sacrificing it to gain some new readers. The other thing I've noticed is that even with free books the downloads tail off the further away you get from publication date.

• danielblue wrote:

Shadowmonkey

Congratulations on selling a hardcover book! I find it amazing that anyone would order a hard cover book through a print on demand channel.

I'd estimate that 25% of my Lulu sales have been hardcovers.

danielblue wrote:

When it comes to free books I would suggest that if you make the book free you keep it free permanently. That way no one can complain. 

Good advice. If you plan to make it a temporary price reduction (or giveaway), make sure to market it as such. Promote that you are giving the book away for a limited time and that when the term is over it will return to its standard pricing.