When does Lulu assign an ISBN?

I see that, where applicable, Lulu will assign an ISBN and automatically put it on a cover that is designed using the Cover Designer feature. However, it is also necessary to include the ISBN on the copyright page in the interior content. This sounds like a cart-and-horse issue.

Do I use the Cover Designer to get an ISBN and then go back and update my copyright page before uploading the interior content? Or is there a way to get the Lulu-assigned ISBN at an earlier stage in the process?

Comments

• I see that, where applicable, Lulu will assign an ISBN and automatically put it on a cover that is designed using the Cover Designer feature.

That's partly true. You have to assign it towards the start of a Project by selecting General, but note that not all book options can have an ISBN, so you will not get an ISBN option for those.

However, it is also necessary to include the ISBN on the copyright page in the interior content. This sounds like a cart-and-horse issue.

Just the ISBN number, yes. I suppose it's handy for if the covers get lost, but it also says that the book does have an ISBN, not everyone knows what the barcode on the back cover is, or needs to know!

Do I use the Cover Designer to get an ISBN

No.

and then go back

Perhaps start in your list of Projects by clicking Revise. On the next page towards the top right you will see Create New Revision. You can get an ISBN number be selecting General (that is if your book type can have one, if not no ISBN number will be shown). If you are in Draft mode it will open at where you last finished, but you can use the Tabs to go back down the Wizard.

and update my copyright page before uploading the interior content?

Yes, just the code number. Type and place it after ISBN:

Or is there a way to get the Lulu-assigned ISBN at an earlier stage in the process?

Yes, as above  Smiley Happy