Turn-around time for defective item replacement

Out of curiosity, what are people's experience with having Lulu replace defective items? I recently self-published a print book - the proof came out great! But when I made it available to the public, one person purchased four copies to give as gifts to her friends, and the books came in with a variety of defects. Two were printed with no words inside. One was printed with only the odd-numbered pages having gone through. And the fourth copy came in with only the even-numbered pages printed. She followed the instructions for contacting support on 01/02 and hasn't heard a single thing since then.

I received my ordered 15 copies on Tuesday (01/06) with plans to make them available at an upcoming signing, and all 15 came in with the first half of the books only having the odd-numbered pages printed, and the second half with only the even-numbered pages printed. Since the proof copy I ordered was fine, and all of these books have a variety of defects, it's pretty clearly a printing error.

Anyway, I contacted support on Tuesday and still haven't heard back, and I'm getting a little concerned because of my own time constraints, and on behalf of people buying my book. Obviously there's going to be a bit of a delay, but since I can't find anything giving an average wait time for handling of defective orders, I wanted to ask if anyone had any experience in it before I stress myself out too badly.

Comments

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

Out of curiosity, what are people's experience with having Lulu replace defective items?

Lulu are good at it as long as people follow the right way to do it and have patience. Lulu do not print the books so they then have to moan at the printing company and then wait on them.

I recently self-published a print book - the proof came out great!

You have to take in to account that when an order is placed it's sent to the printing company as close as possible to the order address.

But when I made it available to the public, one person purchased four copies to give as gifts to her friends, and the books came in with a variety of defects. Two were printed with no words inside. One was printed with only the odd-numbered pages having gone through. And the fourth copy came in with only the even-numbered pages printed. She followed the instructions for contacting support on 01/02 and hasn't heard a single thing since then.

As I say it does depend on who prints the books and recently any problems seem to stem from just one company. In one way you are lucky that a buyer (or even yourself) is able to tell you about the faults because consider if a stranger, say in Iceland, buys your book from Amazon, you would never know about it. You also have to realise that unless you are buying your books and then selling them yourself, the buyers' contracts of purchase are with wherever they bought the book from, not with you.

8 days is no time at all. Weekends are not included for a start.

I received my ordered 15 copies on Tuesday (01/06) with plans to make them available at an upcoming signing, and all 15 came in with the first half of the books only having the odd-numbered pages printed, and the second half with only the even-numbered pages printed. Since the proof copy I ordered was fine, and all of these books have a variety of defects, it's pretty clearly a printing error.

Lulu will want photos of the errors, but as I say, they do not print the books so then Lulu have to moan at who did.

Anyway, I contacted support on Tuesday and still haven't heard back, and I'm getting a little concerned because of my own time constraints, and on behalf of people buying my book. Obviously there's going to be a bit of a delay, but since I can't find anything giving an average wait time for handling of defective orders, I wanted to ask if anyone had any experience in it before I stress myself out too badly.

Always check your spam folders, but Lulu is not Amazon, do not have Amazon's staff or money, you need to allow them time to handle it.

• The print team continues to be backed up from the holiday rush.

Our general support team is helping them get caught up.

You should hear from someone shortly.

• Glenn, thank you for the reply. Should I be concerned it's been over a week and my customer still hasn't even received an email response, or is this the normal wait time for support right now? If she needs to resubmit a support ticket, I'd like to let her know.

• The print support team is very, very behind, but they are seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

Make sure your customer checks her spam folder for an email from [email protected] Sometimes these emails get redirected to spam.

• I once put the wrong mailing address for sending 5 books. The package was returned and lost in shipping. Totally my mistake. Lulu sent me new books for free. I offered to pay but it all ended up free.

Just what hpened to me. Hope it works out for you also.

Scott