Prices on Barnes and Noble and Amazon

How do they figure their prices? For example: Amazon has my book at $18.42  for a used copy. They don't have any used copies.

Comments

• oncewasoncewas Publisher

The internet is a land of smoke and mirrors and lies and even more lies.

Clearly they do not have a second hand copy of your book. We know it

is a lie but the book buying public unfortunately do not. I can only assume

that if someone ordered a copy they would quickly place an order with

Amazon.There have been instances where someone has yet to sell a

print copy and yet these stores claim to have second hand copies. I have even

seen a reference under these second hand books to these being print on

demand. Yeah, right, printo on demand second hand copy!

Some things about online stores will forever remain a mystery. Many an

authors has found their $0.99 books being sold for $99 on the internet.

Who in their right mind would pay that for an ebook? Why would anyone

even attempt to sell it at that price? And yet there must be a reason why

it is offered at that price. Somebody too drunk to notice the decimal point?

They only need to sell one to make a whole heap more money than they

would have if they had sold several hundred at the correct price.

After you get over the anger, frustration and indignation you will learn

to ignore all the charlatans out there.

• LOL Thanks. I really liked that...and you are right..too drunk to do the work correctly.

• Yeah people on Amazon has used copies of my hardback edition which has yet to sell a single copy lol.

• Just KevinJust Kevin Lulu Genius

I have seen my £8 paperbacks on second party pages on Amazon for £150. Thankfully Amazon list all alternatives on the pages.

I too wondered how people dare say they have books in stock when they obviously have not, and I pointed it out to Amazon that it's possibly false advertising. The last I heard from Amazon about it was around 5 months ago. I don't think Amazon care.

How Do. Pull up a chair. Would you like a cup of tea? Don't sit in that chair!!
  • Given the opportunity to purchase an $8 or $150 version of a book, which do you think people would choose?  Smiley Wink

Indeed, so it makes you wonder what is the point of those companies who try to sell at such high prices? It makes no sense. Site spiders gone nuts?

• Some of these prices are created by an individual or shop. You should read their profile. They can sometimes give good advice on pricing your books. I adjusted some of my book prices based on some of the prices I have seen and my royalties adjusting for the higher price on the new ones. I always try to analyze my sales a little for myself to see where things need to be improved with my selection. If you keyword well, you will get noticed better. I run out of space always before keyword combinations. Keywords are our friends. You can tell by how you get noticed and by which crowd. Thanks to me using Amazon's free lending library, my sales are starting to pick up more abroad. Just remember not to neglect it.

Some of these prices are created by an individual or shop.

Yes, that's obvious.

You should read their profile.

A shop's profile? Why? The mian reason to study some retailers is to see how big they are.

They can sometimes give good advice on pricing your books.

Seeing as retailers mark-up the price of our books so that they can make a profit we have to keep prices low or it's hard to compete with mass-produced books. Not sure what other advice is useful.

I adjusted some of my book prices based on some of the prices I have seen and my royalties adjusting for the higher price on the new ones.

But some so-called retailers on Amazon mark-up our £6 paperbacks to £150, how does that guide us and entice us to adjust our prices? I doubt the £150 offers sell any.

I always try to analyze my sales a little for myself to see where things need to be improved with my selection. If you keyword well, you will get noticed better. I run out of space always before keyword combinations. Keywords are our friends. You can tell by how you get noticed and by which crowd. Thanks to me using Amazon's free lending library, my sales are starting to pick up more abroad. Just remember not to neglect it.

Keywords can be useful, but less useful if you write in an area where there are 1000s of other books that can validly use almost identical keywords.