Title Page, Copyright, etc.

I am now working through setting up an ebook to be published using the Lulu EPUB converter. I am new to this process. I am setting up my book in MS Word 2008 for Mac. My question is this. If I were printing this document, I would insert page breaks or possibly section breaks wherever I wanted a new page. Am I to understand, however, that for an ebook, I should simply use H1 or H2 settings wherever I want a new page, as for example between the Title Page and the Copyright page. I have read somewhere in your documentation that page breaks are removed during the conversion process. I would like to insert a page break, if only to see the document as it will be converted, but if that is not acceptable, I will leave it out.

This brings up another issue, the fact that in most print books I have seen, the copyright page has no header, but is rather just all in the same size body type. Is this then a different convention for ebooks, that their copyright page has an H1 header? Or is that just a limitation of the Lulu EPUB converter?

I also am not entirely clear on another point. I understand that I must put the title page in H1, that the Chapter headings are to be H2, and the first subheadings under each Chapter are to be H3. So from that understanding, these questions. I will have an Introduction, possibly a Preface and a Dedication page. Which should each of these be, H1 or H2? I will have Appendices, Endnotes and References. Should each of these also be H2, parallel to chapters?

And finally, I do have a few fourth level headings. Am I to understand that I should NOT key these as H4, possibly marking the titles in Bold at the beginning of a paragraph?

I did try to work through the help materials first, but I was left with these questions after studying the help documents.

Comments

• I'll give you the bottom line. An ebook is very
    different from a print book and you need to think
    about how the end product looks on an ereader and
    not in print.

You can get away with using only H1 if you want to.
    Do not use any more than styles H1 to H3 and remember
    that they nest e.g. H1 Book Title, H2 Chapter Title,
    H3 Sub Heading. Don't go from a H3 to a H1 and when
    you're done with the sub headings come back to H2
    for the next chapter.

Do not use Insert Page Break. Superflous white space
    is stripped out. This is the major difference between
    formatting an epub for Lulu and formatting for Kindle
    where you must insert a page break at the end of every
    section.

Often writers do not have many chapters, or sections,
    in their book. This is one of the reasons why it is
    recomended to give the copyright notice a heading
    style of its own. It also look neater for your copyright
    notice to have its own style because if you don't
    it gets lumped with the title or the first page of the book.

Good luck with your project and may you sell a shedload!

• The only thing I have to add to Daniel's comments (which are not identical to my own approach, but close enough) is the simpler the better. The way you describe it above you are bound to run into problems.

In fact, I only recommend two headings. Give the rest their own unique style and keep them out of the TOC. On that rare occasion when Lulu gltiches over H3, you will be grateful. Besides, who wants a five page long table of contents to sift through?

• I think for this book to be useful, since it is history and likely to be used as a reference, not read clear through by most readers, I am going to try three headings first. If I can't get that to work, then I may reevaluate if I want to try an ebook or just stick to a print book. But I did hear you and the warning that I may be asking for trouble in the conversion. Maybe I should just try to see if a couple of chapters will work this way.

Maggie wrote:

The only thing I have to add to Daniel's comments (which are not identical to my own approach, but close enough) is the simpler the better. The way you describe it above you are bound to run into problems.

In fact, I only recommend two headings. Give the rest their own unique style and keep them out of the TOC. On that rare occasion when Lulu gltiches over H3, you will be grateful. Besides, who wants a five page long table of contents to sift through?

• Have a look at the eBook conversion guide chapter on TOC and headings.

This tutorial may also be helpful: How to Publish an eBook with the Best Table of Contents

Just keep in mind that the first line of the eBook file must contain your book's title and be set to Heading 1 style. Also, style must progress in numerical order.  For example, you cannot skip from Heading 1 to Heading 3 style.